Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 months on - small update

3 months on - small update

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 months on - small update

Hi, been here nearly three months, still horribly homesick and wish every day we could go back (numerous reasons) but going to try and hang on in there.

A few tips we've learnt for those coming out,

1.Know it's been said before, try and avoid an airport goodbye (it was horriifc and really upset our two small children as we didn't stop crying gradnparents crying etc, not what you need for a long haul flight. If you've got young kids, have a stopover where you can have a decent sleep. One of ours taken ill on the flight and we woulnd't have been able to fly on if we hadn't had a break. Singapore airlines were fab. Try and sort out night flights too.

1a) PS Get an email print out if your'e travelling wth the airline stating if you're a permanent resident your 40kg baggage allowance. YOU NEED PROOF as they may try and charge! Just cover your backs.

2. Don't rent a car from the airport, much cheaper in town. Cheapest way to get from Brisbane airport to town or place where you're staying is taxi. Also place where you're satying may be able to get you a good deal on car rental as they may have a deal with the company> Thrifty and Ezycar?? good value.,

3.If you have dogs, please get tehm checked out perhaps have an erlichia test before you come out. One of ours has failed hers and its broken our hearts. We're still hoping to get her out here. But this test is only done 14 days before they fly so if they fail it (and your flights are booked like ours) you're stuffed.
also theyr're not big on pet insurance here and won't insure if your pet is over 8. Pet plan have just opened which seem the most reasonable but you need to check what it covers. You can't transfer policies from Pet Plan UK (I tried and they wont'.) Racq won't let you take out pet insurance unless its linked to another policy of theirs as far as I can gather. RACQ and department of transport onlyplaces that sold Drivign in Queensland booklet (I looked for it everywhere).

4. If renting unfurnished, Radio Rentals hire out tellies and dvds and washing machines and tumble driers (found it invaluable) for about 100 quid a month, cheapest models. Bought airbeds adn beanbargs from target and k mart.

5. Good Guys here for eleccy stuff. Good for cash. Bought our fridge and a cheap hoover. Don't bother brining yoru UK fridges, but DO bring your frontloader washing machines and tumble driers!

6. Bring if you can very light long sleeve cotton shirts and long trousers for the kids. Can't find them anywhere here and the sun's strong.

7. Try and get your loved ones sorted with skype and webcams before you come. There's also a range of cheap phone cards you can buy here to use from a landlnine which you pay certain amounts on and gets you cheap calls to the UK (about a cent a minute).You have to dial loads of numbers first. Also have a looking moneysavingexpert.com as they have a c heap number you can dial from the UK, or look up jahjah on internet which allows you to get free calls via your computer.

8.If you're trying to sell your house (like we were) while in Oz, give your solicitor power of attorney, makes it so much easier.

9. Our goods damanged in the container. Make sure if you take out insurance with people other than your shippers that you list the exact value or you'll lose out.

10. Supermarkets are much more limited (my opinion) here, hardly any ready meals and limited choice (I'm dead lazy, miss M and S and tesco and Sainsbury's SO SO Much. Coles and Woolies do deliver to you at home, but only if you live in the right area. We don't! Also big shock!! to find you can't buy booze in supermarkets, have to go to a liquor store.

11. Everywhere seems to shut at 5pm on a saturday (beware! we were caught out)

12. Cheaper and nicer to shop for food at delis, grocers, butchers, fishmongers etc. Taks loads more time than whizzing round tescos but have found food to be as expensive here.

13. If you're veggie - they don't do Quorn and veggie stuff not that nice.(just opinion) I eat fish and ahve been able to manage but struggling as find it too hot to start cooking loads of veggie dishes from scratch. They do do veggie pizzas, veggie filled pasta, and some veggie sausages,f rankfurters and tofu here but to be honest not that keen on them! also can't seem to find quiche anywhere! foudn one in the deli counter at coles but perhaps peole cook them from scratch. Living off veggie stir fries and macaroni cheese!

hope this helps someone at least! a very homesick Liver Bird. PS oz may turn out not to be for us but at least we tried.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 3:26 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months on - small update

Hi

A useful post.

I hope you start to feel etter soon. I have up and down days too and find I am so snappy lately.

Best of luck with it all.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Liver Bird

Great post, you must have arrived just after me (3 September 2006), I have just posted "my 3 month in" earlier in the week! I know exactly how you are feeling, I was terrible in the first month, found it really tough. Things have got a little easier as I am starting to meet more people. The technical things to do with the move you can deal with, but emotions are just something that you cannot fill in a form and it is over with!!!!

There is no use in me trying to give words of wisdom, as it is Christmas it is going to be tough on most of us - I am trying to ride on the back of the kids excitement and focus on them!

Feel free to PM me if you are down, I am in your shoes.

Nikki x
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

thanks so much, I hope so too. I'm finding it much much harder than ever I thought it would be. I hope you feel better soon too and lots of luck to you. x

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

A useful post.

I hope you start to feel etter soon. I have up and down days too and find I am so snappy lately.

Best of luck with it all.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks so much x I will do once I work out how to get my inbox pm deleted as I've reached my quota. Also think my brain is addled as we arrived here on 27th October so think it should have read two month update - DOH. Feels like three months/thirty years though and I hope you and your familyhave a lovely Christmas, ps where are you in oz?
Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi Liver Bird

Great post, you must have arrived just after me (3 September 2006), I have just posted "my 3 month in" earlier in the week! I know exactly how you are feeling, I was terrible in the first month, found it really tough. Things have got a little easier as I am starting to meet more people. The technical things to do with the move you can deal with, but emotions are just something that you cannot fill in a form and it is over with!!!!

There is no use in me trying to give words of wisdom, as it is Christmas it is going to be tough on most of us - I am trying to ride on the back of the kids excitement and focus on them!

Feel free to PM me if you are down, I am in your shoes.

Nikki x
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liver bird
thanks so much x I will do once I work out how to get my inbox pm deleted as I've reached my quota. Also think my brain is addled as we arrived here on 27th October so think it should have read two month update - DOH. Feels like three months/thirty years though and I hope you and your familyhave a lovely Christmas, ps where are you in oz?
If you go into your pm's there should be a box next to each msg, click each box and then the the bottom of the msgs (right hand side) there is a pull down box with a delete option.

Anyway, I am in NSW, 2 hours from Sydney, Hunter Valley.

Honestly, if you need a chat - clear out that PM box!!! I have met a couple of lovely girls off BE - in person , it has done me the world of good!!!

Nikki x
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Hi, been here nearly three months, still horribly homesick and wish every day we could go back (numerous reasons) but going to try and hang on in there.

1.Know it's been said before, try and avoid an airport goodbye (it was horriifc and really upset our two small children as we didn't stop crying gradnparents crying etc, not what you need for a long haul flight. If you've got young kids, have a stopover where you can have a decent sleep. One of ours taken ill on the flight and we woulnd't have been able to fly on if we hadn't had a break. Singapore airlines were fab. Try and sort out night flights too.

1a) PS Get an email print out if your'e travelling wth the airline stating if you're a permanent resident your 40kg baggage allowance. YOU NEED PROOF as they may try and charge! Just cover your backs.

2. Don't rent a car from the airport, much cheaper in town. Cheapest way to get from Brisbane airport to town or place where you're staying is taxi. Also place where you're satying may be able to get you a good deal on car rental as they may have a deal with the company> Thrifty and Ezycar?? good value.,

3.If you have dogs, please get tehm checked out perhaps have an erlichia test before you come out. One of ours has failed hers and its broken our hearts. We're still hoping to get her out here. But this test is only done 14 days before they fly so if they fail it (and your flights are booked like ours) you're stuffed.
also theyr're not big on pet insurance here and won't insure if your pet is over 8. Pet plan have just opened which seem the most reasonable but you need to check what it covers. You can't transfer policies from Pet Plan UK (I tried and they wont'.) Racq won't let you take out pet insurance unless its linked to another policy of theirs as far as I can gather. RACQ and department of transport onlyplaces that sold Drivign in Queensland booklet (I looked for it everywhere).

4. If renting unfurnished, Radio Rentals hire out tellies and dvds and washing machines and tumble driers (found it invaluable) for about 100 quid a month, cheapest models. Bought airbeds adn beanbargs from target and k mart.

5. Good Guys here for eleccy stuff. Good for cash. Bought our fridge and a cheap hoover. Don't bother brining yoru UK fridges, but DO bring your frontloader washing machines and tumble driers!

6. Bring if you can very light long sleeve cotton shirts and long trousers for the kids. Can't find them anywhere here and the sun's strong.

7. Try and get your loved ones sorted with skype and webcams before you come. There's also a range of cheap phone cards you can buy here to use from a landlnine which you pay certain amounts on and gets you cheap calls to the UK (about a cent a minute).You have to dial loads of numbers first. Also have a looking moneysavingexpert.com as they have a c heap number you can dial from the UK, or look up jahjah on internet which allows you to get free calls via your computer.

8.If you're trying to sell your house (like we were) while in Oz, give your solicitor power of attorney, makes it so much easier.

9. Our goods damanged in the container. Make sure if you take out insurance with people other than your shippers that you list the exact value or you'll lose out.

10. Supermarkets are much more limited (my opinion) here, hardly any ready meals and limited choice (I'm dead lazy, miss M and S and tesco and Sainsbury's SO SO Much. Coles and Woolies do deliver to you at home, but only if you live in the right area. We don't! Also big shock!! to find you can't buy booze in supermarkets, have to go to a liquor store.

12. Cheaper and nicer to shop for food at delis, grocers, butchers, fishmongers etc. Taks loads more time than whizzing round tescos but have found food to be as expensive here.

13. If you're veggie - they don't do Quorn and veggie stuff not that nice.(just opinion) I eat fish and ahve been able to manage but struggling as find it too hot to start cooking loads of veggie dishes from scratch. They do do veggie pizzas, veggie filled pasta, and some veggie sausages,f rankfurters and tofu here but to be honest not that keen on them! also can't seem to find quiche anywhere! foudn one in the deli counter at coles but perhaps peole cook them from scratch. Living off veggie stir fries and macaroni cheese!

hope this helps someone at least! a very homesick Liver Bird. PS oz may turn out not to be for us but at least we tried.
excellent post my sentiments exactly.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:24 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
If you go into your pm's there should be a box next to each msg, click each box and then the the bottom of the msgs (right hand side) there is a pull down box with a delete option.

Anyway, I am in NSW, 2 hours from Sydney, Hunter Valley.

Honestly, if you need a chat - clear out that PM box!!! I have met a couple of lovely girls off BE - in person , it has done me the world of good!!!

Nikki x
....actually LG, you can meet some grotbags as well
(only joking nikki ). we too felt like you, but we are getting there now (i think). it really does get easier, honest. it does help to meet up with other people, even if it's just one or two people.

please dont give up the fight yet, it took you a lot of time and effort to get to australia. you can also pm me as well (my pm box is empty, as no buggar wants to chat to me )
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 6:25 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=liver bird]Hi, been here nearly three months, still horribly homesick and wish every day we could go back (numerous reasons) but going to try and hang on in there.

hope you feel better soon, take advantage of BE site and talk to people. sounds like there are a lot of people on here who are experiencing the same emotions as you. hope you have a lovely christmas
bec and egg
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

wb800 is an unknown quantity at this point

Know exactly how your feeling.Where are you in oz were in the sunshine coast
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:57 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Nice honest post Liver Bird.Give it a bit more time.Give it your best shot.Xmas is a horrible time when your missing folks back home.
Hope you and yours have a Happy Christmas and a better New Year
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hey LiverBird, welcome to Brisbane.
I still catches me out that the shops close at 5pm on Saturdays, and I've been back here for near 2 years!
Also agree with some of the supermarket stuff, but I'm afraid that may have to be a lifestyle change for you - making food instead buying readymade. I've gotta say tho, I find there's MORE choice in supermarkets here.
When my Australian vegetatarian friend has visited me in England, she can't believe all the vegetarian food she can buy! I'm not veg. but i used to prefer quorn burgers to others.
J
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all
Smile Re: 3 months on - small update

Hi Liverbird

We arrived 14 October to QLD and are in Ormiston. Too early to say whether we'll settle or not. This is not a good time of year and with hindsight think maybe Marchish would be the best time, but due to various circumstances came in October. Feel very bored and lonely but I guess that is to be expected and I'm sure it will get better. I'm sure you will have a good Christmas with your little ones - you have to be positive for their sakes. Try to keep smiling

Heather
Old Dec 24th 2006, 3:46 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

In NSW it isn't hard to find large 24 hour supermarkets.. even in the ACT they are open late and some have booze for sale in the aisles.

I was vegetarian for 7 years in Oz... never had a problem buying a large range of very fresh fruit, vegetables and all sorts of legumes and pulses. I had to cook it all from scratch... but that might be an issue for someone used to buying ready-made meals.

Australia is not the UK in a sunny location.

You'll have to adapt to the local lifestyle.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 4:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
In NSW it isn't hard to find large 24 hour supermarkets.. even in the ACT they are open late and some have booze for sale in the aisles.
Something Qld might achieve in 2090...............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.