British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   3 Months in Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/3-months-melbourne-490930/)

herrchook Nov 1st 2007 6:37 am

3 Months in Melbourne

Exactly 3 months and 12 hours ago, Margaret collected a very bleary eyed Herrchook and family from the airport and somehow, after the feelings of sheer terror which struck us that day we've found ourselves settling into daily life in Australia.

A few weeks back, something clicked social wise and we're now making friends and settling into everyday life. For a while there I never thought that would actually happen but there you go, it does:p.

We put our 5 yo straight into prep in September but 8 weeks in and her teacher is recommending we repeat the year again next year as she's just too far behind to catch up. We always intended to wait til next year to put her into school anyway so we're just looking on this as a few months free childcare for us, and a head start for next year for our 5 yo.

We're pretty happy with the childcare centre our 3 yo is in but it's hefty at $60 a day and I'm still not working so I'm hoping she will get a place at kinder soon which will make a fidderence to the purse strings.

We decided to live in Caroline Srpings and so far so good. We're making some lovely friends from all sorts of backgrounds and although it wasn't our first choice, we're happy with with the decision. To be honest, we've found there's HUGE amounts of snobbery from those living in the East. We often heard "you don't want to go to the West" but no-one who ever said that to us could ever back it up with a real reason why not! There's some great places over here and it's a great commute to the CBD so don't dismiss it. Of course, there are a lot of suburbs in the west which are not nice, but hey, I grew up in one of Scotland's worst estates (Wester Hailes) and I've turned out OK. Don't get me wrong, if we could afford the same type of house we have here in the east we'd jump at it, but we like it here too, it's just different.

Mike's finding he's working about the same hours as the UK and is luckily earning about the same salary too. Being in Caroline Springs, he has a 45-55 minute commute (door to door) so he's fairly happy. He's lost out on holidays and perks but hey, you can't have everything.

Do we love it? To be honest, I'm still not 100% sold. I think I'm still missing my parents millions more than I thought I ever would (and I thought I'd miss them loads lol). We do love the lifestyle here, we love that there's always something to do in Melbourne and of course, we like the warmer climate. We're determined to make a good go at it though and we know it's still way too early to know whether or not the move is forever. In the meantime, we're just trying to enjoy this adventure as much as possible.

Christmas is looming now and I'm a little worried at how I/we will cope without family but my folks arrive mid January so I'm focusing on that at the moment.

My biggest complaint about Australia is the amount of those bloody merrygo rounds things in malls and shops. If I gave the kids a go every time they asked I'd be skint (more skint lol). That's not bad if that's my only complaint. Oh yeah, there is that awful Liteneasy ad on TV, and ..and..and.....:rofl:

Gill
:)

ozzieeagle Nov 1st 2007 7:46 am

Re: 3 Months in Melbourne

Great to hear that you are starting to make yourself at home. Nice and close to the good beaches out west as well, so not to far to or traumatic a journey with little hold up between you and the really great beaches along the west coast.

Hope things just keep on improving and good luck for the future.

Eddie C.

herrchook Nov 1st 2007 7:56 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 5496303)
Great to hear that you are starting to make yourself at home. Nice and close to the good beaches out west as well, so not to far to or traumatic a journey with little hold up between you and the really great beaches along the west coast.

Hope things just keep on improving and good luck for the future.

Eddie C.

Cheers mate, we've just bought a new tent so hoping to spend some good times on some of those beaches:thumbsup:

Margaret3 Nov 1st 2007 7:58 am

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 5496176)
Exactly 3 months and 12 hours ago, Margaret collected a very bleary eyed Herrchook and family from the airport and somehow, after the feelings of sheer terror which struck us that day,

sorry about that, i did my best:lol:and as you know my sense of direction stinks:lol:

A few weeks back, something clicked social wise and we're now making friends and settling into everyday life. For a while there I never thought that would actually happen but there you go, it does:p.

your very lucky gill, am still waiting,(and get quite lonely) i have made a couple of friends but not nearby and with work and tied for time, also working agency , so not really possible to meet friends through work

We're pretty happy with the childcare centre our 3 yo is in but it's hefty at $60 a day

eeek 60 bucks!!!

We decided to live in Caroline Srpings and so far so good. We're making some lovely friends from all sorts of backgrounds and although it wasn't our first choice, we're happy with with the decision. To be honest, we've found there's HUGE amounts of snobbery from those living in the East.

definately a true comment, the snobbery that surrounds where you stay in mellie is unbeeeeeeelieeeeevable, especially in the medical world, they totally judge patients as to where they come from:mad:, but as you know gill, school for teen was our priorityso hence we are staying in an area we will probably never be able to buy in.

Of course, there are a lot of suburbs in the west which are not nice, but hey, I grew up in one of Scotland's worst estates (Wester Hailes) and I've turned out OK.

are you sure:rofl:

Do we love it? To be honest, I'm still not 100% sold.

i'm definately not, i am so lonely, miss me pals and miss the company at work even more, [B]talked to hubby about it, of course we will give it longer, until teen has finished school , then reasses[/B] all i've done today is hang around the MBTUK forum, not a healthy way to spend a day.

Christmas is looming now and I'm a little worried at how I/we will cope without family but my folks arrive mid January so I'm focusing on that at the moment.

it'll be strange for us all, gill, but we're troopers and we will get through it

Gill

sorry for crashing in and moaning:o

Dicko Nov 1st 2007 9:42 am

Great update, my missus struggles a bit with the missing the family, even after 2 & 1/2 years, but she knows deep down it is better here. I think the family bit will get easier but as you say it's only 3 months give it time.

By the way I don't want to worry you but if you feel bad now just wait until they're going home after a visit :(

Only kidding :)

Keep the chin up and and keep telling yourself the reasons you are here.

By the way I know how you feel there is just so many things vying to get the kids attention, every bloody park you pass has a playground how annoying.

God I long for the days when the kids had nothing to do but go to those bloody Charlie Chalk venues!!!

Jasonmb Nov 1st 2007 2:03 pm

Great update Gill, we also keep up to speed with how you are doing via your blog:thumbsup:.

It isn't going to be easy, but you are giving it a go and having friends will help with that. I am dreading leaving my parents and will miss them dreadfully, but I stil want to come and give it a go.

We are across in Feb / March next year and have been looking at the West Side, Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook and Caroline Springs, they all look lovely places to settle and I can't wait:thumbsup:.

Tracy & Jason

Issie Nov 1st 2007 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 5496176)
Exactly 3 months and 12 hours ago, Margaret collected a very bleary eyed Herrchook and family from the airport and somehow, after the feelings of sheer terror which struck us that day we've found ourselves settling into daily life in Australia.

We put our 5 yo straight into prep in September but 8 weeks in and her teacher is recommending we repeat the year again next year as she's just too far behind to catch up. We always intended to wait til next year to put her into school anyway so we're just looking on this as a few months free childcare for us, and a head start for next year for our 5 yo.

We're pretty happy with the childcare centre our 3 yo is in but it's hefty at $60 a day and I'm still not working so I'm hoping she will get a place at kinder soon which will make a fidderence to the purse strings.

We decided to live in Caroline Srpings and so far so good. We're making some lovely friends from all sorts of backgrounds and although it wasn't our first choice, we're happy with with the decision. To be honest, we've found there's HUGE amounts of snobbery from those living in the East. We often heard "you don't want to go to the West" but no-one who ever said that to us could ever back it up with a real reason why not! There's some great places over here and it's a great commute to the CBD so don't dismiss it. Of course, there are a lot of suburbs in the west which are not nice, but hey, I grew up in one of Scotland's worst estates (Wester Hailes) and I've turned out OK. Don't get me wrong, if we could afford the same type of house we have here in the east we'd jump at it, but we like it here too, it's just different.

Mike's finding he's working about the same hours as the UK and is luckily earning about the same salary too. Being in Caroline Springs, he has a 45-55 minute commute (door to door) so he's fairly happy. He's lost out on holidays and perks but hey, you can't have everything.

Do we love it? To be honest, I'm still not 100% sold. I think I'm still missing my parents millions more than I thought I ever would (and I thought I'd miss them loads lol). We do love the lifestyle here, we love that there's always something to do in Melbourne and of course, we like the warmer climate. We're determined to make a good go at it though and we know it's still way too early to know whether or not the move is forever. In the meantime, we're just trying to enjoy this adventure as much as possible.

My biggest complaint about Australia is the amount of those bloody merrygo rounds things in malls and shops. If I gave the kids a go every time they asked I'd be skint (more skint lol). That's not bad if that's my only complaint. Oh yeah, there is that awful Liteneasy ad on TV, and ..and..and.....:rofl:

Gill

Great update Gill :)

You know it wouldn't be easy on the homesickness front but together as a family i am sure you can win it. Your parents will be with you soon and you will have some very special times ahead with them, just focus on that.

Be Open , be curious and have no regrets....words said to me by a good friend, your there honey :)

Issie Nov 1st 2007 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 5496337)

Margaret.....it's still early days for you pet, you will get there, for some it just takes a little longer.

Stay out of the MBTUK forum :eek: you will get brush along with them, not that there is anything wrong with them wanting to go home, but you need positiveness things and people to help you stay focused.

Chin up love :)

herrchook Nov 2nd 2007 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 5496337)

Feel free :lol:. Good speaking to you last night.

herrchook Nov 2nd 2007 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Dicko (Post 5496658)
By the way I know how you feel there is just so many things vying to get the kids attention, every bloody park you pass has a playground how annoying.

God I long for the days when the kids had nothing to do but go to those bloody Charlie Chalk venues!!!

lol, parks I can cope with, it's just those bl**dy money trap rides in shops that do my head in.

Actually, I meant to say, it occured to me the other that that whilst back in Scotland, we would visit an indoor play centre at least once a week - haven't been to one in 12 weeks:thumbsup:.

herrchook Nov 2nd 2007 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Jasonmb (Post 5497628)
Great update Gill, we also keep up to speed with how you are doing via your blog:thumbsup:.

:o
Wow, I thought it was just my Mum and Dad and a few pals at home who read that, cheers.

The areas you're looking at are all really nice, I'm sure you'll find somewhere great to settle.

Gill

herrchook Nov 2nd 2007 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Issie (Post 5497636)
Be Open , be curious and have no regrets....words said to me by a good friend, your there honey :)

Wise words mate, cheers :D

Margaret3 Nov 3rd 2007 3:11 am

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 5500133)
Feel free :lol:. Good speaking to you last night.

thanx gill it was good to chat, especially to someone who can understand my accent:lol:

Bordy Nov 3rd 2007 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 5504255)
thanx gill it was good to chat, especially to someone who can understand my accent:lol:

Your welcome to call me anytime. I know I'm one of those snobs from the East but I'll still talk to ya. :D

penky Nov 3rd 2007 7:30 pm

Good Update :)