3 Months In & Loving It

Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:28 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of
Default 3 Months In & Loving It

Hello!

I always found this type of thread interesting to read, so here's my 2 cents worth about Oz, after 3 months.

Flew with Singapore Airlines from Heathrow to Brisbane via Singapore - brilliant flight - no problems. Got out 40kg allowance, no problem..

Arrived on Oct 27th...straight into a holiday let in Cotton Tree for 10 days. Spent most of the first week trawling round trying to find a house to rent. This was quite stressful because unlike England where you look at a house and say 'yup, i'll take it'.. In Oz, you look at the house along with 10 or 12 other people you fill in application form, then the landlord picks who they think will be the best tenant... not ideal when you have just landed in Oz with no job and no references. We put on every application form that we'd pay 6 months rent up-front to try and secure a place. We did look at some right sh*tholes as well... horrible houses, for lots of $$$. Eventually we were lucky enough to find 2 in the same road. the one we wanted, we didn't get, but the one we did end up renting is nice. Beware of the Estate Agents over there.. they're either odd or just plain rude... oh and they never phone you back either!

We opened an account with Westpac whilst still in the UK.. no problem. Just went into the bank when we arrived with our passports and did the final bits of paperwork.. the staff at Caloundra Westpac are the most helpful and friendly i've ever come across.

Bought a car after about 10 days too... a 5ltr V8 Holden ute, manual. I love driving it.. not sure about the fuel (un)ecomony tho.. and it's very very interesting to drive in the wet!!

Hubby's a welder, so after about of month of being here, he decided he needed to 'make something' so we trundled about to some local industrial estates and he found a job doing structural steel stuff. he's about to change jobs and go and make truck bodies.. so he's fairly

I haven't got any work yet - although there might be some stuff in the pipeline.. fingers crossed.

Got an invite to someones house that we'd only met twice before, for Christmas.. so that was cool.. The Aussies we've met have been lovely and extremely helpful...

So what more can I say - I Love the Sunshine Coast... We haven't met any arseholes over here (yet).. and that's even wearing a Barmy Army t-shirt to the cricket at the Gabba on Friday!!!!

My only advice would be - get your goodbyes done early coz we completely ran outta time to say goodbye to everybody that we wanted to... and buy a webcam and get on Skype (it's FREE!)

I know it's only been 3 months since we left the UK but i can honestly say, hand on heart, it's the best thing we've done...

Good luck to all those waiting for the visas etc etc - it will come round quickly - this time last year we were chewing our finger nails off waiting for the news.. and here we are 12 months down the line - sitting in Oz!

Sonic & Chopperboy
xxx
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Months In & Loving It

Originally Posted by SonicBird
Hello!

I always found this type of thread interesting to read, so here's my 2 cents worth about Oz, after 3 months.

Flew with Singapore Airlines from Heathrow to Brisbane via Singapore - brilliant flight - no problems. Got out 40kg allowance, no problem..

Arrived on Oct 27th...straight into a holiday let in Cotton Tree for 10 days. Spent most of the first week trawling round trying to find a house to rent. This was quite stressful because unlike England where you look at a house and say 'yup, i'll take it'.. In Oz, you look at the house along with 10 or 12 other people you fill in application form, then the landlord picks who they think will be the best tenant... not ideal when you have just landed in Oz with no job and no references. We put on every application form that we'd pay 6 months rent up-front to try and secure a place. We did look at some right sh*tholes as well... horrible houses, for lots of $$$. Eventually we were lucky enough to find 2 in the same road. the one we wanted, we didn't get, but the one we did end up renting is nice. Beware of the Estate Agents over there.. they're either odd or just plain rude... oh and they never phone you back either!

We opened an account with Westpac whilst still in the UK.. no problem. Just went into the bank when we arrived with our passports and did the final bits of paperwork.. the staff at Caloundra Westpac are the most helpful and friendly i've ever come across.

Bought a car after about 10 days too... a 5ltr V8 Holden ute, manual. I love driving it.. not sure about the fuel (un)ecomony tho.. and it's very very interesting to drive in the wet!!

Hubby's a welder, so after about of month of being here, he decided he needed to 'make something' so we trundled about to some local industrial estates and he found a job doing structural steel stuff. he's about to change jobs and go and make truck bodies.. so he's fairly

I haven't got any work yet - although there might be some stuff in the pipeline.. fingers crossed.

Got an invite to someones house that we'd only met twice before, for Christmas.. so that was cool.. The Aussies we've met have been lovely and extremely helpful...

So what more can I say - I Love the Sunshine Coast... We haven't met any arseholes over here (yet).. and that's even wearing a Barmy Army t-shirt to the cricket at the Gabba on Friday!!!!

My only advice would be - get your goodbyes done early coz we completely ran outta time to say goodbye to everybody that we wanted to... and buy a webcam and get on Skype (it's FREE!)

I know it's only been 3 months since we left the UK but i can honestly say, hand on heart, it's the best thing we've done...

Good luck to all those waiting for the visas etc etc - it will come round quickly - this time last year we were chewing our finger nails off waiting for the news.. and here we are 12 months down the line - sitting in Oz!

Sonic & Chopperboy
xxx
Lovely post

Great that you're enjoying your new life, long may it continue
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi a great read so good to hear for us still in the uk. Glad you feel settled and have found folk helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Donna & Neil
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Thank for taking the time to write your post, it's always good to hear how folk are getting on. Good luck with the rental and hope your new life just gets better and better.

Nicky x
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:55 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, you sound as though you are settling well, All the best for your new life.

Joex
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear you are happy with your move. We have also been here on the sunshine coast for 3 months and even though we have problems with house sale falling through in UK, we don't regret a minute of being here.
Maybe see you at the meet up on the spit on Australia Day?
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: 3 Months In & Loving It

[QUOTE]

Pleased your loving it

Dave
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:48 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=mindblower;4308189]

Pleased your loving it

Dave
Great post - I find these updates really inspirational while waiting to get there.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

VikkiVenna is on a distinguished road

Great to read it all works out eventually. Just started our long trek of applying for visa's and hope to in Oz within a year. Very nervous but inspired by your thoughts.

Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Loved reading your post sonic - cant wait until we are able to do a sunshine coast update. x
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:46 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys!
Good to hear from you and know you are settled and happy! Beats sunny Southampton doesn't it!
Kayt & Dave
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:09 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Aw glad its working out !!!

kris xx
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:05 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

great post, keep the updates coming.
bec
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Yehhhhaaaaa well done hun,
I am so glad that you are having a great time.

Keep up the good work

love lace xxx
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:19 pm
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lacey21
Yehhhhaaaaa well done hun,
I am so glad that you are having a great time.

Keep up the good work

love lace xxx
Nice avatar. where abouts are you from ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.