3 Months in :)

Old Jul 7th 2013, 1:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 Months in :)

So just a little update, as we've only been here 3 months (its 3 months to the day tomorrow )

When we arrived, we still had the map from when we were here before and used that to find the way to our holiday let(we came over at the end of 2011 to see if the young spark would make the move). They upgraded the car hire to a 4x4 which was good, cos we had way too much luggage

We stayed in Port Adelaide initially, the young sparks choice as he was having second thoughts after we got the visas, and the road where our holiday let was on wasn't marked on the map. We stopped near the docks first and found a little café to get drinks and directions and realised that the purse with the little bit of cash we bought with us was missing - turns out my sister has it some how . Fortunately, the young spark had been giving some money by friends and he bought the drinks.

After finding the rental, it was obvious it hadn't been cleaned, so called the agents who said they would let us know when it was ready, then went exploring. Found the shops, and used UK bank cards to get an Oz phone, a wifi dongle and some shopping. Also found a place to set up the laptop and check on the funds being transferred from UK, they were on the way but not in Oz accounts yet - lucky we had the UK cards.

Anyway, we got all settled in eventually, and money arrived okay. First thing on the list was finding a car, and ended up by a little red Ford Focus We also met Rasen / Romft who had invited us to a welcome to Australia BBQ not long after arriving. I managed to meet with SMS in Adelaide to start figuring out how to get my OTSR recognised, and how to sort out gap training and licensing (I'm an electrician).

Just after the end of our first week, we had a knock on the door by ETSA saying that the previous owners were still paying the electric bill, and they were going to cut the electric off . After calls to agents, got a 24 hour reprieve, but current owners were overseas and no one local had money to pay the amount owed, so we got moved to a different rental in Peterhead - made of tin and next to railway line. Fortunately, it wasn't for too long - we managed to find a rental in Grange not long after, and moved in 2 months ago. Because we sent our furniture ahead of us, we only had a couple of days to wait for delivery - bought a couple of essentials (kettle, mug and coffee ) and managed to borrow some bits from the lovely Rasen / Romft. Because we had martial arts weapons in our shipment though, I had to get an exemption certificate from SAPOL for customs to release our container - and John Masons failed to mark one of the boxes, so just about everything was opened while they tried to find a bag of nunchukas. When everything finally arrived, we only had a minor breakage so all good (John Mason's and Wridgeways).

Since then, I had to take a road trip to Melbourne to do a trade test at Victoria University - 10 hours there and 10 hours back with the test in the middle - a long day. All passed though and my OTSR was re-issued (the original was stolen in a burglary last year, along with passports, birth certs, etc in the middle of the visa process - not fun). Once that was received, I managed to sort out the provisional electrical license, and my place on gap training, which is funded by SMS saving $2k. The gap training starts tomorrow I have also applied for a course at TAFE for a Diploma in Electrical Engineering and level IV in Instrumentation - I've been given a place, and meet with course advisor when I finish the gap training as I can RPL a lot of the course due to UK quals. Despite applying for a lot of jobs, and getting a few interviews, still no job yet but not giving up hope - I'm sure something will come along soon.

The young spark also has a place at TAFE in Port Adelaide - only doing a retail course, but it will allow him to meet some people and make some friends hopefully (not as easy as it sounds - he has Aspergers). He has an initial introduction next week when he will get the full time table.

And other news during the first 3 months - met up with another BE'r - bubblegum babe - a teacher but lives not far from us. Also, lots of birthdays - sister's, Mum's, oldest son in UK - and young spark turned 18 And tickets booked and paid for - my DD is coming out for Christmas and New Year with my SIL and grandson - my lovely Haribo who was 1 just before we left.

Well that's it for so far - a bit of rambling which hopefully sums up that we have settled in and are enjoying things so far
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:39 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Months in :)

Glad you have settled ok OS. Very positive update
We have arrived in Sydney today and are feeling positive about the whole thing too
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:44 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Glad you have settled ok OS. Very positive update
We have arrived in Sydney today and are feeling positive about the whole thing too
Yay - Welcome to Australia
Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:34 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

good grief that's flown by!
love the upbeat tone but then that's you all over isn't it.

got my fingers crossed for you and the young spark that you both do well job wise.

so hurry up cos it's hard to type

and Kapri huge welcomes to Aus I can't believe you are finally here I thought you were stuck in Fiji
Old Jul 8th 2013, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by asher
good grief that's flown by!
love the upbeat tone but then that's you all over isn't it.

got my fingers crossed for you and the young spark that you both do well job wise.

so hurry up cos it's hard to type

and Kapri huge welcomes to Aus I can't believe you are finally here I thought you were stuck in Fiji
Thanks Asher

Day 1 of the training over and they let us out early without homework
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update Sounds like you are doing well
Old Jul 8th 2013, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks for the update Sounds like you are doing well
It would obviously be better with a job, but we're plodding along okay at the moment

Thanks Polly
Old Jul 8th 2013, 11:18 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Thanks Asher

Good Catch up with you soon
Old Jul 8th 2013, 11:48 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I could quite happily have stayed there
Old Jul 8th 2013, 11:49 am
Happy migrant

It would obviously be better with a job, but we're plodding along okay at the moment

Thanks Polly
Fingers crossed that something turns up for you soon
Old Jul 9th 2013, 8:59 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Asher

Well I think that's terrible they could at least have given you homework to keep you off last say

hope you make some good contacts there
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:00 am

Well I think that's terrible they could at least have given you homework to keep you off last say

hope you make some good contacts there
That would be good
Old Jul 11th 2013, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update- sorry it took me a while to read it. Still got fingers crossed for you.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Lovely update- sorry it took me a while to read it. Still got fingers crossed for you.
Thanks Caroline
Old Jul 14th 2013, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Wombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant future

Great update, thanks for sharing. I've followed your story for a while as we only arrived two weeks after you, although we've lived here before for six years.

Fingers crossed that you'll find a job soon, in our experience (and lots of other expats I spoke to / heard of) it is always the first job which takes a little longer to find. Once you've got that you will have no probs in finding another one if you want/need to.

All the best to both of you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.