Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 and a half years on the Gold Coast!

3 and a half years on the Gold Coast!

Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Phyllis n Joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 3 and a half years on the Gold Coast!

Hi Lisa,

Great post and your so rite about going to the meets, We have met some really nice friends from going to the meet ups! See you on the 27th.

Phyllis
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your hard work is paying off. Good luck in your new life.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Phyllis n Joe
Hi Lisa,

Great post and your so rite about going to the meets, We have met some really nice friends from going to the meet ups! See you on the 27th.

Phyllis

Thanks Phyllis,

Hope things are going well, will def see you on the 27th

Lisa
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:36 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Thanks Phyllis,

Hope things are going well, will def see you on the 27th

Lisa
Will your other half be there or does he have a car to fix or something.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brido
he says he wasn't invited till 5pm he will make any excuses to avoid soapy!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Well where do I start, firstly we would never have settled half as good without the people and information from this forum, I don't post much anymore as priorities change when you start a new life, but I will be forever grateful to Britishexpats.com

2002-2003 had been the worst 2 years of my personal life, Australia was calling me for a new life, new start, we had never been to Oz, it was a big decision to just pack up and go to somewhere we really knew nothing about except from the internet and this forum, but we knew if all else failed we could always come back home. So in Nov 2003 We applied for our PR in Scotland as hubby is a Joiner (carpenter here), our application was gone for 3months we thought it would be underway, when shock horror we got it back in the mail as we had not signed the declaration!!!!! after 3 months to say we were dissapointed was an understatement. We just wanted to get to Oz, so we started to look at other ways. In Feb 04 we applied for a student visa, I was going to do a hairdressing course, which would be a fall back if for some reason we couldn't get PR once we arrived in Oz through my hubbys trade. 4 Weeks later my student visa was granted and we arrived on the Gold Coast at the end of March 2004. As soon as we arrived I started my course, my hubby got work, my eldest daughter who was 6 at the time started school and my youngest who was 4 started kindy, we also applied for our PR. Finances were quickly running out, as we were living on 1 wage while I done my course, we got a rental in Arundel where we stayed for 3 years.

The first year had its ups and downs, we loved it here and met some great friends but had a lot of homesickness, we spent our first christmas just the 4 of us and that was hard, but I still would never have swapped it for anything, we had such a great quality of life. In may 2005 we were granted our PR, I finished my course that year, we had met loads of brilliant friends, a lot from this site through meets, life was great. My hubby has never been out of work as a carpenter here, he loves being able to get up at 6am the sun is shining and the birds are singing. I ended up getting a job in retail and was very lucky to get part time school hours, which fits in brill with the girls, I still keep my hand in at hairdressing by doing friends and family.

This year we built our own house, just behind Pacific Pines, something I could never have dreamed of doing in Scotland, my girls are just little ozzies and are so into the way of life, they really don't know how lucky they are! we have had so many visitors in the past 3 years, and its always hard when they go home, but we just get in the car have a drive around and take in everything that we now take for granted on a daily basis. I don't have 1 single regret in moving to Australia, it's the best thing I have ever done.

To anyone out there who is finding it tough, just stick in as it's all worth it, go to the meets and talk to people, I guarantee there will be 10 people you will have nothing in common with but there might be that one or 2 that will just click and change everything about your life here. I know we wouldn't have the life we do without the people we have met.

On Monday we have our Citizenship interview, we can't wait to become Citizens and give something back to this fantastic country!

Lisa X
i don't know how i missed this one!!

Thanks for sharing it with us
I enjoyed it!

I know what you mean about the meets, we are not in aus yet but we have been to a few in the uk!!... We are looking forward to meeting like minded people in the gold coast!

sam xx
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sammyg
i don't know how i missed this one!!

Thanks for sharing it with us
I enjoyed it!

I know what you mean about the meets, we are not in aus yet but we have been to a few in the uk!!... We are looking forward to meeting like minded people in the gold coast!

sam xx

Thanks Sam, will probably bump into you one of these days at a Gold Coast meet! good luck with the move

Lisa X
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:29 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

what a pile of pish!!!!!

i was talking to your hubby the other day and he told me he couldnt wait to leave this god forsaken shit hole

oh thats right, that was just before he left bridos

Fantastic update pal, loved reading even though i know it already.
make sure hubby duznae forget the beer the morra
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:32 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

brido!!!!!

im trying to keep my brekky doon

nearly spat it at the screen
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soapy
what a pile of pish!!!!!

i was talking to your hubby the other day and he told me he couldnt wait to leave this god forsaken shit hole

oh thats right, that was just before he left bridos

Fantastic update pal, loved reading even though i know it already.
make sure hubby duznae forget the beer the morra

Ya numpty, the beers will be put in the car before anything else!! even you
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Well where do I start, firstly we would never have settled half as good without the people and information from this forum, I don't post much anymore as priorities change when you start a new life, but I will be forever grateful to Britishexpats.com

2002-2003 had been the worst 2 years of my personal life, Australia was calling me for a new life, new start, we had never been to Oz, it was a big decision to just pack up and go to somewhere we really knew nothing about except from the internet and this forum, but we knew if all else failed we could always come back home. So in Nov 2003 We applied for our PR in Scotland as hubby is a Joiner (carpenter here), our application was gone for 3months we thought it would be underway, when shock horror we got it back in the mail as we had not signed the declaration!!!!! after 3 months to say we were dissapointed was an understatement. We just wanted to get to Oz, so we started to look at other ways. In Feb 04 we applied for a student visa, I was going to do a hairdressing course, which would be a fall back if for some reason we couldn't get PR once we arrived in Oz through my hubbys trade. 4 Weeks later my student visa was granted and we arrived on the Gold Coast at the end of March 2004. As soon as we arrived I started my course, my hubby got work, my eldest daughter who was 6 at the time started school and my youngest who was 4 started kindy, we also applied for our PR. Finances were quickly running out, as we were living on 1 wage while I done my course, we got a rental in Arundel where we stayed for 3 years.

The first year had its ups and downs, we loved it here and met some great friends but had a lot of homesickness, we spent our first christmas just the 4 of us and that was hard, but I still would never have swapped it for anything, we had such a great quality of life. In may 2005 we were granted our PR, I finished my course that year, we had met loads of brilliant friends, a lot from this site through meets, life was great. My hubby has never been out of work as a carpenter here, he loves being able to get up at 6am the sun is shining and the birds are singing. I ended up getting a job in retail and was very lucky to get part time school hours, which fits in brill with the girls, I still keep my hand in at hairdressing by doing friends and family.

This year we built our own house, just behind Pacific Pines, something I could never have dreamed of doing in Scotland, my girls are just little ozzies and are so into the way of life, they really don't know how lucky they are! we have had so many visitors in the past 3 years, and its always hard when they go home, but we just get in the car have a drive around and take in everything that we now take for granted on a daily basis. I don't have 1 single regret in moving to Australia, it's the best thing I have ever done.

To anyone out there who is finding it tough, just stick in as it's all worth it, go to the meets and talk to people, I guarantee there will be 10 people you will have nothing in common with but there might be that one or 2 that will just click and change everything about your life here. I know we wouldn't have the life we do without the people we have met.

On Monday we have our Citizenship interview, we can't wait to become Citizens and give something back to this fantastic country!

Lisa X

Well in Lisa, glad your still enjoying it.
It's great to hear for those people who don’t have thousands of pounds to come here with, and it proves you don’t need lots to make a decent a go of it.

Would’ve been nice though wouldn’t it.

I am sure you can't wait for those Lamingtons, Anzac biccies and Mini Steak pies.

All the best from the good ship Dicko, and all who sail in her
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:52 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Lisa X

what a great post lisa,your so right about the meets they have been a god send,meeting great pals who have made this move even better.you are a lovely family and deserve the happiness you have all found here,glad its all worked out for you guys,and you have a great house,when is the next invite ha ha,i love your bar and entertainment room,you have done well.your girls will grow up healthy and happy here in this beautiful sunshine,just ignore the ozzie accents now ha ha.have a great wkend away,see you next wkend for drinks,give my love to jim,kids,pauline and soapy and have a gd time.

jules xxx
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dicko
Well in Lisa, glad your still enjoying it.
It's great to hear for those people who don’t have thousands of pounds to come here with, and it proves you don’t need lots to make a decent a go of it.

Would’ve been nice though wouldn’t it.

I am sure you can't wait for those Lamingtons, Anzac biccies and Mini Steak pies.

All the best from the good ship Dicko, and all who sail in her

Thanks D,

Hope all is going well, seems like an eternity since that first meet all those years ago but so worth it.

Can't wait for the anzac biccies, least we just missed out on having to do the test.

Hope to see you all soon

Love to K, J, B & J

Lisa xxxxxxx
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

what a great post lisa,your so right about the meets they have been a god send,meeting great pals who have made this move even better.you are a lovely family and deserve the happiness you have all found here,glad its all worked out for you guys,and you have a great house,when is the next invite ha ha,i love your bar and entertainment room,you have done well.your girls will grow up healthy and happy here in this beautiful sunshine,just ignore the ozzie accents now ha ha.have a great wkend away,see you next wkend for drinks,give my love to jim,kids,pauline and soapy and have a gd time.

jules xxx

Heello Jules baby

The invite is always there, just leave your other half at home , wait till you see what we bought kman at the weekend you will love it!!! we had a great time, managed to leave Soapy there with the hippies!
see you soon

Lisa x
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:23 am
Master of verbal pish©

Heello Jules baby

The invite is always there, just leave your other half at home , wait till you see what we bought kman at the weekend you will love it!!! we had a great time, managed to leave Soapy there with the hippies!
see you soon

Lisa x
you just wish you had left me there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.