British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   3 and a half year update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/3-half-year-update-846763/)

SpeedyJon Nov 10th 2014 9:35 am

3 and a half year update

I logged on for the first time in ages today looking for some info on citizenship timelines, and while I was here I thought I might as well do an update. Hopefully my random musings will be of help or at least interest to someone.

The Mrs and I moved to Sydney 3 and a half years ago. We spent a month (the maximum stay allowed) at Lane Cove River Tourist Park in a cabin. I'd recommend the place to anyone moving to Sydney and looking for temporary accomodation. Cheaper than an apartment, lovely surroundings and facilities and not far from the CBD. Then after a few more weeks staying in Pyrmont we rented a house on the north shore. We both found jobs and settled into the everyday rhythm of life. We looked all over Sydney for the right place to live which suited us, and just over a year ago moved to Sutherland Shire.

We've been very lucky. Life is great, and we've never looked back. I'll be travelling back to the UK next year to see friends and family, but other than them there's nothing calling me back. I'm not knocking the UK, but for me Australia is a much better place to live.

Maybe I have a sheltered life in Sydney, but I just don't notice the downsides that seem to bother others in forum posts I've read. I can get everything I need in the shops. I've acclimatised from UK to Aus recipe baked beans. And I'd rather have a schooner than a pint.

The biggest surprise for me has been how welcome and at home I've felt. I hoped I'd enjoy living in Australia, but I wondered if I'd ever feel like it was home. And I always expected to feel, or be made to feel like an outsider, but this hasn't been the case.

I've only been in Australia for a few years and only lived in Sydney so my experience is limited, but if I were to take a risk and offer some advice to anyone making the move it would be this:
  • Don't assume that an Aussie calling you a pom is being derogatory or racist. You're a pom. You just are.
  • Don't spend all your time hanging around with poms (there, I said it). Plenty of Aussies are great company and will be happy to have a beer with you.
  • Get involved. There are clubs and societies for all ages and walks of life, and there's far more of a social element to where I work than I ever had in the UK. I struggle to get home on a Friday evening without being dragged out for drinks and/or dinner.
  • Don't believe everything you read. Before we moved I read that Aussies are rude, but most I encounter are pleasant and friendly; my neighbours and their kids are the nicest people you'd hope to meet. I read that driving standards are terrible, but in NSW drivers have to go through L then 2 sets of P plates to get a full licence and I find the driving OK (apart from people messing about on their phones).

Anyway, I'm having a great time and am glad I took the opportunity to make the move. Hopefully I'll do another update when I get my citizenship!

louie Nov 10th 2014 12:18 pm

Re: 3 and a half year update

Glad to hear things are going well for you. We'll be joining you in April, might have a look at the Lane Cove cabins.

On the subject of citizenship, I see you got your visa in 2008 but didn't move until 2010, so you must have done a validation trip. In case you don't already know, that means that, unless you have spent a lot of time abroad since you arrived (more than six months in total or three months in the last twelve), you are already entitled to apply for citizenship :-)

Buzzy--Bee Nov 10th 2014 7:24 pm

Great update and pretty much reflects what we have experienced too.

You get out of emigration what you put into it!

:goodpost:

BB

Perpetual Tourist Nov 12th 2014 7:00 am

Nice to hear from someone whose experience has been so positive - thanks for posting.

old.sparkles Nov 12th 2014 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 11467469)
Great update and pretty much reflects what we have experienced too.

You get out of emigration what you put into it!

:goodpost:

BB

+1

Good to read a positive story :)

carolinephillips Nov 13th 2014 3:21 am

Good on yer mate!!:thumbup:

spouse of scouse Nov 13th 2014 10:53 am

Great to read that you and your family have settled in well, and are enjoying life in Oz. You sound like a very positive and realistic person, which helps so much when settling into a new country.

Don't forget to let us know when you get citizenship, so we can say welcome to the family, cobber :starsmile: