Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3.5 years and still here !!!

3.5 years and still here !!!

Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:37 am
Just Joined

traceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to all
Default 3.5 years and still here !!!

Hi everyone not done an update for a while.
Well we have been in Perth for 3 and a half years now, good lord where does time go , must have settled and never new it lol, as i was looking at passports lastnight and realised our PR visa runs out in Feb 11 so said we best get citizenship sorted, Woops deadline for 2 year residency has passed so now have to wait for the 4 years but oh well Jan will be here before we know it lol.

Well i'm still doing my cleaning business (over cleaning really) but it pays very well for the hours i work and i'm still there to fetch youngest from school.
I think i can honestly say now that i have settled into my new life, yes i still have days (not very often now mind) when i think WTF am i doing here.
Having just lost hubby's grandad that made us all feel at bit useless being so far away and not having the $$$$ to fly back to the uk (home) for the funeral was a bit sad, but we did our bit from here with Flowers delivered to the crematorium, what would we do without phones and the internet aye.
I think the reason i have settled is because we have joined a club (bought a new jeep last year) and have seen so much of perth that most of the locals never even new existed and met some fantastic people that we can call friends, we go camping and 4wd and have FUN with like minded people.
I'm turning 40 in August and am in the middle of organising a birthday bash/ fancy dress 70's theme party and have about 50 friends coming to celebrate with me which a few years ago i was lucky if we knew that amount of people let alone call them close friends. (so thanks guy's and Gal's XX)

Hubby is still in same job and loves his life but he has loved it from the minute we landed, (think it's a bloke thing).
Kids have settled youngest is in his last year (7) at primary school and have just got his enrolment papers for secondary school he's chuffed as because he can do media in year 8.
Eldest is 18 in oct and quit school in year 11 for a hairdressing apprenticeship and is now in her 2nd year and loving it (so am i lol) she would love to go back for a holiday but again it's $$$.

Well i think thats all for now hopefully life will get even better and we'll win lotto, get citizenship, pay of the mortgage and buy a winnebago and go see more than just Perth, here's hoping.

Ps good news is hubby's just bought me a ticket for my birthday to go to brisbane to visit a good friend i met when we first arrived can't wait , our birthdays are a day apart. X Looks like turning 40 is going to be good.

Best wishes to those still trying to get here, it takes a while to start to feel like home but if you really want to be here it can be GREAT you just have to work at it.
Tracey X
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:49 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3.5 years and still here !!!

Thank you
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Enjoyed reading your update Tracey, many thanks for posting and best wishes to you
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Tracey. What a lovely, upbeat update!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Great to read a positive post !

I know it can be and is very hard to settle into a new life. Especially if you haven't been as lucky with work and friends like you are.

You definitely have to make it work - you won't sail into a new life with ready made friends and invites to social activities - it all takes time and effort.

I know, I moved to Scotland nine years ago and it takes a while. You have days where you miss your familiy and friends back home. Both my grandparent's passed away when I was over here and I didn't have the ££ to travel back - it's very hard and sad when things like this happen.

However, glad to see the positive outweighs the negative and that you're enjoying Perth (where I'm from) so many people on here seem to hate it!

Hope you have a wonderful birthday and a great time in Brizzie

OSMx
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

traceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to alltraceyella is a name known to all

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
Great to read a positive post !

I know it can be and is very hard to settle into a new life. Especially if you haven't been as lucky with work and friends like you are.

You definitely have to make it work - you won't sail into a new life with ready made friends and invites to social activities - it all takes time and effort.

I know, I moved to Scotland nine years ago and it takes a while. You have days where you miss your familiy and friends back home. Both my grandparent's passed away when I was over here and I didn't have the ££ to travel back - it's very hard and sad when things like this happen.

However, glad to see the positive outweighs the negative and that you're enjoying Perth (where I'm from) so many people on here seem to hate it!

Hope you have a wonderful birthday and a great time in Brizzie

OSMx
Thank you OSM

Your very true with the friends thing it's taken us this long to find some, and we had to find something that we enjoyed doing in our spare time away from work, so joined this club and have never looked back.
Thanks for the birthday wishes i'm soo looking to forward to turning 40 (but staying 40 ) so bring it on i say.
Tracey
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Great update - thank you! Glad you are settled and enjoying it.