British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   2 Years in....Our Thoughts if anyone's interested ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/2-years-our-thoughts-if-anyones-interested-484347/)

4500 Times Sep 29th 2007 9:17 pm

2 Years in....Our Thoughts if anyone's interested ??

Hi All

Well its been nearly 2 yrs now since we left the UK for Brisbane, and we can honestly say it was definately the right move for us.

We came here with no family or friends, and without being here b4 so it was a massive gamble on our behalf, as we both had good jobs and a nice home etc etc. But the feeling was " Sod it, if it works out,it works out, if not tough. Move on and try again "

At the time we were so fed up with the way the UK was heading we knew we had to make a move for our son to have a better chance in life, so we decided on Oz and the rest as they say is history.

We initially rented in Redland Bay, but decided to buy @ Shailer Park. A lot easier commute into work and you get a lot more for your $$ here than in the Redlands. Dunno why really, maybe its because its close to the water but that held no appeal for us.

Our son (6 ) goes to Kimberley Park State School and is doing so well, we are more than happy with his progress. He's a very happy, open and clever lad who has definately benefitted from being here. Also his swimming is amazing which is mostly down to his fantastic swimming coach Mrs Pee at the Gould Adams swim centre.

It really is lovely to wake up every morning with the sun shining and the birds singing, it makes the whole process of going to work easier. Dunno about anyone else, but outside of work i feel as though i'm on holiday. Its a good feeling and hopefully i'll never lose it.
We are fortunate to own our own little piece of paradise, and we will never take it for granted.
Even now when i sit in the garden surrounded by all the lovely exotic plants/trees and the pool, i think to myself how lucky we are. Its far better than our terraced house back in UK.

So as a whole we love Australia warts and all, there are problems here just like anywhere else but so what.....I understand how its not for some people, but at least they have given it a try and not become one of those people who wish they had, but for us its worked out thankfully.

Richard007 Sep 30th 2007 6:14 am

Re: 2 Years in....Our Thoughts if anyone's interested ??

cool....good stuff :eek:

Buzzy--Bee Sep 30th 2007 6:37 am

A swimming teacher called MRS PEE????? :rofl:

Buzzy

Sam Greenfield Sep 30th 2007 8:11 am

Originally Posted by 4500 Times (Post 5369084)
Hi All

Well its been nearly 2 yrs now since we left the UK for Brisbane, and we can honestly say it was definately the right move for us.

We came here with no family or friends, and without being here b4 so it was a massive gamble on our behalf, as we both had good jobs and a nice home etc etc. But the feeling was " Sod it, if it works out,it works out, if not tough. Move on and try again "

At the time we were so fed up with the way the UK was heading we knew we had to make a move for our son to have a better chance in life, so we decided on Oz and the rest as they say is history.

We initially rented in Redland Bay, but decided to buy @ Shailer Park. A lot easier commute into work and you get a lot more for your $$ here than in the Redlands. Dunno why really, maybe its because its close to the water but that held no appeal for us.

Our son (6 ) goes to Kimberley Park State School and is doing so well, we are more than happy with his progress. He's a very happy, open and clever lad who has definately benefitted from being here. Also his swimming is amazing which is mostly down to his fantastic swimming coach Mrs Pee at the Gould Adams swim centre.

It really is lovely to wake up every morning with the sun shining and the birds singing, it makes the whole process of going to work easier. Dunno about anyone else, but outside of work i feel as though i'm on holiday. Its a good feeling and hopefully i'll never lose it.
We are fortunate to own our own little piece of paradise, and we will never take it for granted.
Even now when i sit in the garden surrounded by all the lovely exotic plants/trees and the pool, i think to myself how lucky we are. Its far better than our terraced house back in UK.

So as a whole we love Australia warts and all, there are problems here just like anywhere else but so what.....I understand how its not for some people, but at least they have given it a try and not become one of those people who wish they had, but for us its worked out thankfully.

Hi there - glad you are settled and enjoying it - i cant believe you are not missing good old Rochdale ;) - yep we are from there also and hoping to escape to Queensland one day - it is bloody freezing here at the moment - the usual Rochdale grey day that we see so often.
Where abouts in sunny R/dale where you from - we are in Littleborough at the moment - anyway its great to read the success stories and especially from people from our home town - good on you and enjoy.
Love Sam

somme Sep 30th 2007 8:16 am

Great post, hope we feel the same when we get out there, if we ever sell our house here in the UK :D

Fly Away Sep 30th 2007 9:30 am

Sounds like you've found your niche in the World! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update - it keeps us UK folk going to know it's all worth while!! :D:D

Sally Simpson Sep 30th 2007 2:57 pm

Lovely post, thank you!:thumbup:

Josie1100 Sep 30th 2007 9:00 pm

A lovely refreshing post. Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

mark 'n' joe Sep 30th 2007 9:15 pm

Great post, glad your doing well. All the best for your future.

Joexx

gorgeousgal Sep 30th 2007 9:32 pm

Hi All

glad you're all so happy:D

hairart Oct 1st 2007 10:58 am

Hi All

i've been having doubts lately about wether we're doing the right thing:unsure:,(which i suppose is normal), and reading posts like yours really helps to put positive thoughts back. Im glad it's worked out great for you.
all the best for your future.:)

Issie Oct 1st 2007 5:01 pm

Hi All

Fantastic.....really pleased it's going so well for you :)

sammyg Oct 2nd 2007 7:00 pm

Hi All

thanks for sharing that with us it was great to read:thumbup:

goat eyes Oct 2nd 2007 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5378907)
thanks for sharing that with us it was great to read:thumbup:

Great post !!

Positive people will always make a go of it - fair play to you. You would have had a success story wherever you went.

4500 Times Oct 3rd 2007 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield (Post 5369884)
Hi there - glad you are settled and enjoying it - i cant believe you are not missing good old Rochdale ;) - yep we are from there also and hoping to escape to Queensland one day - it is bloody freezing here at the moment - the usual Rochdale grey day that we see so often.
Where abouts in sunny R/dale where you from - we are in Littleborough at the moment - anyway its great to read the success stories and especially from people from our home town - good on you and enjoy.
Love Sam

Hey Sam

We lived in Littleborough for almost 7 yrs b4 coming out here..Newall Street.

Its a fair bit different here though :thumbsup::thumbsup: