Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 years, and a new career, in Brisneyland

2 years, and a new career, in Brisneyland

Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:08 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 years, and a new career, in Brisneyland

Well the other day it was 2 years since we moved here to Brissie.

To be honest it was all pretty easy, and I've felt settled and at home here from day one, so I'm not sure how useful any kind of detailed update is going to be

Basically, I'm married to an Aussie (he moved to England to do his 1 year living in London and travelling in Europe thing, met me and stayed for 8 years instead ) so we thought it would be a bit of an adventure to try moving to Brissie. So I got a spouse visa, which was overall pretty straight forward.

We left England on 1st August but didn't arrive in Brisbane until 7th Sept because we travelled to Brazil, Arentina and Peru on the way. Oh, and a few days in LA and a week in Fiji It was brill. We love travelling and just thought, since we were in between jobs and in between countries, why not?! We had the best time, it was amazing.

Then arrived in Brisbane, stayed with the in-laws in the country about 1.5 hours from Brisbane for a week or two while we sorted ourselves out. We found a nice rental in Yeronga which is a nice suburb close to town (we both cycle to work).

I joined the Queensland Police which I love. I did 7 months at the Academy and after that I've done just over a year in the job. It was a complete career change for me and I love it. Obviously there are parts of the job that are better than others, but I like helping good people and arresting bad people. I know cops get some bad press, and there are obviously some bad cops out there (out of 14,000 in QPS, there are bound to be a few dodgy ones) but the way I know I deal with the public, and the way I see the majority of my colleagues deal with them, makes me very proud. I've been at a few different stations but my permanent one is Southbank and I reckon I'm pretty lucky to be there. So if you see a female cop walking around Southbank (in shorts ) it'll be me. Come and say hello, we're very friendly!

OH really enjoys his job too, so we're both happy on that front. We're thinking of buying a house now we've been here a while, so we'll see what happens.

I LOVE living in Brisbane. I love that it's not a big place (moving from London anyway) I love how clean it is - something I'd got used to but got reminded of when my Dad came out for a visit recently. The people are generally friendly and laid back (and that's coming from someone who deals with the less-nice people of Brisbane in my job!). I love the outdoorsy lifestyle which we very much embrace. I love going up or down the coast easily to amazing beaches. I absolutely love the weather here. I manage the heat in summers no probs, and enjoy the sunny blue sky days of winter. I love the colourful birds (although I hate the evil attacking magpies!). In fact I love heaps of things about Brisbane.

So yeah I can safely say we're having a great time. I think we're generally positive people and so try and make the most of every situation, and I guess there's been some luck involved too, but I've never felt home sick and I love living here. Mind you I also loved living in England - we certainly didn't leave because we think England has 'gone to the dogs' or whatever. I think England is a great place. Mind you I grew up in Dorset and although lived in London for the last 10 years, spent a lot of time in Cornwall where my parents live, so we certainly spent time in nice parts of England. It's just that this is where we live now and we love it here too!

We haven't travelled much around Australia since we lived here, but a few years ago we came out here for nearly 5 months and travelled all around Australia on a brilliant great big trip (only missed out the top bit, so want to go there sometime). So I've seen quite a lot of the country and intend to see more.

I don't have any real words of wisdom on where to buy things or how to make the move here successful, like I said, we just moved here, got on with it and love it. Probably having OH's family here helps, and obviously we've made friends through work etc. I guess we're lucky that it's all been relatively easy and we're really happy. Don't get me wrong, of course there are things about living in Australia that drive me mad, just as there were things that drove me nuts in England. Nowhere is perfect. But I reckon we've got it pretty good.

Apologies for the long winded post, with zero helpful information! Just wanted to give an update on how it's been for us
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years, and a new career, in Brisneyland

Updates don't need to be helpful. They're for nosey people to have a sticky beak in other peoples lives

Loved reading that, thanks!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:07 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

A really great update, thank you. Can you post a picture of your legs from bottom of shorts to top of socks so that we can i/d you?

Thank god I didn't have to wear shorts as part of my uniform in the U.K.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:29 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
A really great update, thank you. Can you post a picture of your legs from bottom of shorts to top of socks so that we can i/d you?

Thank god I didn't have to wear shorts as part of my uniform in the U.K.
I don't wear long socks in fact even the boys don't have to wear long socks anymore, which is good because it's not a great look is it!

I love wearing my work shorts. Walking around in the sunshine in uniform it's pretty hot! Much nicer to be a bit cooler. And it fits right in at Southbank
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:30 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Updates don't need to be helpful. They're for nosey people to have a sticky beak in other peoples lives

Loved reading that, thanks!
I thought that was just me although I say I'm 'interested' in other people, rather than nosey
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:34 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I don't wear long socks in fact even the boys don't have to wear long socks anymore, which is good because it's not a great look is it!

I love wearing my work shorts. Walking around in the sunshine in uniform it's pretty hot! Much nicer to be a bit cooler. And it fits right in at Southbank
All very good...but you haven't seen my legs!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Well the other day it was 2 years since we moved here to Brissie.

To be honest it was all pretty easy, and I've felt settled and at home here from day one, so I'm not sure how useful any kind of detailed update is going to be

Basically, I'm married to an Aussie (he moved to England to do his 1 year living in London and travelling in Europe thing, met me and stayed for 8 years instead ) so we thought it would be a bit of an adventure to try moving to Brissie. So I got a spouse visa, which was overall pretty straight forward.

We left England on 1st August but didn't arrive in Brisbane until 7th Sept because we travelled to Brazil, Arentina and Peru on the way. Oh, and a few days in LA and a week in Fiji It was brill. We love travelling and just thought, since we were in between jobs and in between countries, why not?! We had the best time, it was amazing.

Then arrived in Brisbane, stayed with the in-laws in the country about 1.5 hours from Brisbane for a week or two while we sorted ourselves out. We found a nice rental in Yeronga which is a nice suburb close to town (we both cycle to work).

I joined the Queensland Police which I love. I did 7 months at the Academy and after that I've done just over a year in the job. It was a complete career change for me and I love it. Obviously there are parts of the job that are better than others, but I like helping good people and arresting bad people. I know cops get some bad press, and there are obviously some bad cops out there (out of 14,000 in QPS, there are bound to be a few dodgy ones) but the way I know I deal with the public, and the way I see the majority of my colleagues deal with them, makes me very proud. I've been at a few different stations but my permanent one is Southbank and I reckon I'm pretty lucky to be there. So if you see a female cop walking around Southbank (in shorts ) it'll be me. Come and say hello, we're very friendly!

OH really enjoys his job too, so we're both happy on that front. We're thinking of buying a house now we've been here a while, so we'll see what happens.

I LOVE living in Brisbane. I love that it's not a big place (moving from London anyway) I love how clean it is - something I'd got used to but got reminded of when my Dad came out for a visit recently. The people are generally friendly and laid back (and that's coming from someone who deals with the less-nice people of Brisbane in my job!). I love the outdoorsy lifestyle which we very much embrace. I love going up or down the coast easily to amazing beaches. I absolutely love the weather here. I manage the heat in summers no probs, and enjoy the sunny blue sky days of winter. I love the colourful birds (although I hate the evil attacking magpies!). In fact I love heaps of things about Brisbane.

So yeah I can safely say we're having a great time. I think we're generally positive people and so try and make the most of every situation, and I guess there's been some luck involved too, but I've never felt home sick and I love living here. Mind you I also loved living in England - we certainly didn't leave because we think England has 'gone to the dogs' or whatever. I think England is a great place. Mind you I grew up in Dorset and although lived in London for the last 10 years, spent a lot of time in Cornwall where my parents live, so we certainly spent time in nice parts of England. It's just that this is where we live now and we love it here too!

We haven't travelled much around Australia since we lived here, but a few years ago we came out here for nearly 5 months and travelled all around Australia on a brilliant great big trip (only missed out the top bit, so want to go there sometime). So I've seen quite a lot of the country and intend to see more.

I don't have any real words of wisdom on where to buy things or how to make the move here successful, like I said, we just moved here, got on with it and love it. Probably having OH's family here helps, and obviously we've made friends through work etc. I guess we're lucky that it's all been relatively easy and we're really happy. Don't get me wrong, of course there are things about living in Australia that drive me mad, just as there were things that drove me nuts in England. Nowhere is perfect. But I reckon we've got it pretty good.

Apologies for the long winded post, with zero helpful information! Just wanted to give an update on how it's been for us
Great update, Sounds like life is great for you.

Emma
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

So nice and upbeat (pardon the pun!) .... sounds like you knew what you were getting into, right attitude and making the most of it!

Long may it all continue!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:05 am
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

A lovely update all the best to you and yours
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Lovely positive post! Thanks for sharing
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Great update. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:10 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Fab update Emma!

Here's to the next 2 years being as successful
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:45 am
Just Joined

avet42 is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great update. My english boyfriend and I are just about to move to Brissie in November and its so nice to hear someone being so positive.
Although im not from Aus originally my folks live on the Gold Coast, so like you we will have family there which will be lovely.

Cant wait to start our new life in the sunshine! Especially as it was 3.5 degrees here this morning and its only the start of winter! hehe