2 years on (nearly)

Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:11 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
joho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Umina, NSW
Posts: 2,453
joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 years on (nearly)

It will be 2 years on 3rd May since we arrived in Oz. We have meet many new people and made many new friends.

Firstly my old neighbour of our first house is now officially my Aussie Mum and even her daughter calls me sister They made us very welcome and lent us furniture until our container arrived 3 weeks after moving in. I still see her regularly and we do lunch once a month with a group of her friends (now mine) all aged above 60 when I am only just 37. They used to be called the 'dun routing club' if you know what I mean. Anyway they are a good crowd and I am exhausted after an afternoon with them they have so much energy and laughter. They have welcomed me and accepted me and I consider myself fortunate to have meet such a bunch.

Work colleagues, I like my workmates and they certainly helped to make life easier. New neighbours, they are great, we all went camping to Anna Bay a few weeks ago (both sides) and we all had a great laugh, they are there for me when I need them.

We have now bought our own house with a pool, 5 bedrooms 3 bathrooms and another loo (never stuck for a toilet in our house) and I am please to announce 3 toilets are connected to water tanks we had put in as well as the washing machine. We have a new pup to go with out older dog and cat, a deaf greyhound who is a little bugger but great too.

We are both lucky to be in good jobs, hubby in Sydney as an IT team leader (not the best but the pay is good)working for Fujitsu. I am an admin girl at Gosford hospital.

Kids have settled well and have loads of friends and girlfriends .

We have had mainly ups and very few downs, apart from hubbies dad dying last June which then involved and emergency trip to UK. God what a bare flat place. Nice to see family even on the sad occasion and to catch up with friends but no appeal at all.

Now meeting up with some expats on the central coast and having some fun.

Funny although people may think its odd, when I come on expats and see names I have become familiar with eg soapy, professionalprincess, bridie, bix (where ae you) and many many more could list 20 at least, even though I may never meet them (apart from soapy) you all feel like friends almost family. (what happened to the vomit icon). Almost like a security blanket.

Anyway we do have family in the area, quite a lot actually so we are not totally alone. Mind you never meet them until we visited 3 years ago. Life is good, apart from the bloody dogs digging up the garden:curse: .

Not really a very good update more of a blog but hey ho.

Not going back to blighty.........................never.

Jo
joho is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:02 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,399
Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

I know what you mean about seeing familiar people on here.

Whatever is going on, I am reassured by coming on here.

I like the sound of your deaf greyhound, they can be quite naughty - my greyhound robbed the xmas pudding one year.

It is also nice to hear of people enjoying their lives and how they get on.

Did you find it hard to get an admin job at the hospital, only its what I am hoping to do when I get there?

Great update by the way.
Cheetah7 is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:38 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
joho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Umina, NSW
Posts: 2,453
joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Originally Posted by Professional Princess View Post
I know what you mean about seeing familiar people on here.

Whatever is going on, I am reassured by coming on here.

I like the sound of your deaf greyhound, they can be quite naughty - my greyhound robbed the xmas pudding one year.

It is also nice to hear of people enjoying their lives and how they get on.

Did you find it hard to get an admin job at the hospital, only its what I am hoping to do when I get there?

Great update by the way.
No I found it quite easy really, the trick is to address the essential and desirable criteria requirement by requirement.

Our othe dog is a greyhound x and one day I had put the kids meals up on the side as they were out. Told them when they came in and they both said is there no meat today...........

The new pup is 16 weeks old now and already weighs 15kg so I dread to think how big he is going to be

They are quite lazy though.

Jo
joho is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 4:55 am
  #4  
Bix
da Bonehead
 
Bix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Lion in da jungle
Posts: 22,765
Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Originally Posted by joho View Post
Funny although people may think its odd, when I come on expats and see names I have become familiar with eg soapy, professionalprincess, bridie, bix (where are you) and many many more could list 20 at least, even though I may never meet them (apart from soapy) you all feel like friends almost family. (what happened to the vomit icon). Almost like a security blanket.Jo
Hi Jo.
Didn't I tell you I'm up in Cairns ?

That's not what you meant I know.....I'm still here. Not posting much nowadays but ever present on most days.
Maybe I've run out of things to say or just maybe I'm catching second breath

Really enjoyed reading your update and am very glad you have all settled so well...but can't believe it's been almost 2 years.
Bix is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 5:00 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
joho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Umina, NSW
Posts: 2,453
joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Originally Posted by Bix View Post
Hi Jo.
Didn't I tell you I'm up in Cairns ?

That's not what you meant I know.....I'm still here. Not posting much nowadays but ever present on most days.
Maybe I've run out of things to say or just maybe I'm catching second breath

Really enjoyed reading your update and am very glad you have all settled so well...but can't believe it's been almost 2 years.
I know its gone soooo quick its untrue. We will be in Cairns last week of June, maybe I can comb your mane........

I cant believe you've ran out of things to say but sometimes dont you just say to yourself 'dont answer that or you'll say things you shouldnt'

Jo
joho is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:59 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Lilywhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Hi Jo,

This is my first post. I have been looking at BE because I am hoping to move with my family to Aus towards the end of the year. We are Aussies with dual nationality. I've been in the UK for 18 years. We were considering moving to Umina, because my Dad lives on the Central Coast & house prices are cheaper than Sydney. I have two concerns re CC. Firstly high schools - what do you think of the schools - does Gosford Grammar get all the good teachers and kids and therefore other schools not so good? Also, commuting to Sydney - how long does this take? I also work in IT and would expect to have to work in Sydney. Thanks
Lilywhite is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:11 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
joho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Umina, NSW
Posts: 2,453
joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Originally Posted by Lilywhite View Post
Hi Jo,

This is my first post. I have been looking at BE because I am hoping to move with my family to Aus towards the end of the year. We are Aussies with dual nationality. I've been in the UK for 18 years. We were considering moving to Umina, because my Dad lives on the Central Coast & house prices are cheaper than Sydney. I have two concerns re CC. Firstly high schools - what do you think of the schools - does Gosford Grammar get all the good teachers and kids and therefore other schools not so good? Also, commuting to Sydney - how long does this take? I also work in IT and would expect to have to work in Sydney. Thanks
Not really sure on high schools cause I try not to pay to much attention to specualtion. My older 2 dont do work so it wouldnt matter what school they were in. Daughter has just started Brisbane Waters and we are happy with it. Gosford Grammar would be good if you can pass but I have no idea wht to compare it with. Brisbane waters is has 2 campuses one in Umina for years 7-9 and one in Woy Woy for years 10-12 which I think is good. My older boys are 16 and 17, daughter 12.

Commute would depend on where to. Hubby used to catch train to Central and it would take an hour. He drives to North Ryde now and that takes an hour but is out of peak time.

What sort of IT are you in as hubbies comapny is on the look out for Server support guys with either Novell or wintell.

Jo
joho is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:07 am
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Lilywhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Hi Jo, I'm a service delivery manager not a techie. Thanks for the info on the schools, I'll look up Brisbane Waters.
Lilywhite is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:30 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
sarahlou's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 262
sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Originally Posted by joho View Post
It will be 2 years on 3rd May since we arrived in Oz. We have meet many new people and made many new friends.

Firstly my old neighbour of our first house is now officially my Aussie Mum and even her daughter calls me sister They made us very welcome and lent us furniture until our container arrived 3 weeks after moving in. I still see her regularly and we do lunch once a month with a group of her friends (now mine) all aged above 60 when I am only just 37. They used to be called the 'dun routing club' if you know what I mean. Anyway they are a good crowd and I am exhausted after an afternoon with them they have so much energy and laughter. They have welcomed me and accepted me and I consider myself fortunate to have meet such a bunch.

Work colleagues, I like my workmates and they certainly helped to make life easier. New neighbours, they are great, we all went camping to Anna Bay a few weeks ago (both sides) and we all had a great laugh, they are there for me when I need them.

We have now bought our own house with a pool, 5 bedrooms 3 bathrooms and another loo (never stuck for a toilet in our house) and I am please to announce 3 toilets are connected to water tanks we had put in as well as the washing machine. We have a new pup to go with out older dog and cat, a deaf greyhound who is a little bugger but great too.

We are both lucky to be in good jobs, hubby in Sydney as an IT team leader (not the best but the pay is good)working for Fujitsu. I am an admin girl at Gosford hospital.

Kids have settled well and have loads of friends and girlfriends .

We have had mainly ups and very few downs, apart from hubbies dad dying last June which then involved and emergency trip to UK. God what a bare flat place. Nice to see family even on the sad occasion and to catch up with friends but no appeal at all.

Now meeting up with some expats on the central coast and having some fun.

Funny although people may think its odd, when I come on expats and see names I have become familiar with eg soapy, professionalprincess, bridie, bix (where ae you) and many many more could list 20 at least, even though I may never meet them (apart from soapy) you all feel like friends almost family. (what happened to the vomit icon). Almost like a security blanket.

Anyway we do have family in the area, quite a lot actually so we are not totally alone. Mind you never meet them until we visited 3 years ago. Life is good, apart from the bloody dogs digging up the garden:curse: .

Not really a very good update more of a blog but hey ho.

Not going back to blighty.........................never.

Jo
:
thumbup: hi, im sarahlou and just waiting for visa granted (hopefilly) with fingers crossed,
i love reading the threads on how people have got on so far,and yours sounds like a fantastic 2 yrs and i hope us and many others turn out like yours .....HAPPY........... that is and content with how lifes turned out !
sarahlou is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 3:34 pm
  #10  
Master of verbal pish©
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,194
soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

wow you guys really have settled. great read!

some people just make the right coice in life and your post is the perfect example of that.
heres to the rest of your life in oz guys


soapy
soapy© is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 4:51 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Bunbury WA
Posts: 1,844
cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

sounds great, wishing you all the very best.
Denise
cranni is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:10 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
joho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Umina, NSW
Posts: 2,453
joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Originally Posted by soapy View Post
wow you guys really have settled. great read!

some people just make the right coice in life and your post is the perfect example of that.
heres to the rest of your life in oz guys


soapy
You're right soapy (What is your real name) we did make the right decision. I life isnt always greener but for us it has been. Maybe its to do with mentality. Not sure, but all 5 of us have no regrets. Hows things with you up north you deserter.

Speak soon

Jo
joho is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:32 am
  #13  
Master of verbal pish©
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,194
soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Originally Posted by joho View Post
You're right soapy (What is your real name) we did make the right decision. I life isnt always greener but for us it has been. Maybe its to do with mentality. Not sure, but all 5 of us have no regrets. Hows things with you up north you deserter.

Speak soon

Jo
i cant be tellin u my real name

like u lot we have all been lucky in our choices. but u have to make your luck.
its not for everyone, but when it works, its fantastic.
i did a 3 year up date not long ago, im sure its on here

Last edited by soapy©; Apr 4th 2007 at 9:34 am.
soapy© is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:34 am
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Oz -> UK -> San Diego
Posts: 9,908
Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

lovely update - thank you
Ozzidoc is offline  
Old May 21st 2007, 8:32 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 12
glynnieandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 years on (nearly)

Originally Posted by joho View Post
It will be 2 years on 3rd May since we arrived in Oz. We have meet many new people and made many new friends.

Firstly my old neighbour of our first house is now officially my Aussie Mum and even her daughter calls me sister They made us very welcome and lent us furniture until our container arrived 3 weeks after moving in. I still see her regularly and we do lunch once a month with a group of her friends (now mine) all aged above 60 when I am only just 37. They used to be called the 'dun routing club' if you know what I mean. Anyway they are a good crowd and I am exhausted after an afternoon with them they have so much energy and laughter. They have welcomed me and accepted me and I consider myself fortunate to have meet such a bunch.

Work colleagues, I like my workmates and they certainly helped to make life easier. New neighbours, they are great, we all went camping to Anna Bay a few weeks ago (both sides) and we all had a great laugh, they are there for me when I need them.

We have now bought our own house with a pool, 5 bedrooms 3 bathrooms and another loo (never stuck for a toilet in our house) and I am please to announce 3 toilets are connected to water tanks we had put in as well as the washing machine. We have a new pup to go with out older dog and cat, a deaf greyhound who is a little bugger but great too.

We are both lucky to be in good jobs, hubby in Sydney as an IT team leader (not the best but the pay is good)working for Fujitsu. I am an admin girl at Gosford hospital.

Kids have settled well and have loads of friends and girlfriends .

We have had mainly ups and very few downs, apart from hubbies dad dying last June which then involved and emergency trip to UK. God what a bare flat place. Nice to see family even on the sad occasion and to catch up with friends but no appeal at all.

Now meeting up with some expats on the central coast and having some fun.

Funny although people may think its odd, when I come on expats and see names I have become familiar with eg soapy, professionalprincess, bridie, bix (where ae you) and many many more could list 20 at least, even though I may never meet them (apart from soapy) you all feel like friends almost family. (what happened to the vomit icon). Almost like a security blanket.

Anyway we do have family in the area, quite a lot actually so we are not totally alone. Mind you never meet them until we visited 3 years ago. Life is good, apart from the bloody dogs digging up the garden:curse: .

Not really a very good update more of a blog but hey ho.

Not going back to blighty.........................never.

Jo
We are comming out to Oz on the 1st Sept and looking forward to it. Your post was such a pleasure to read. I think you have got a great attitude. We lived in the States for a couple of years and sadly my Dad died very unexpectantly which knocked me sideways. Spent 4mths back in Ireland which was only a plane ride away to be with my family. We were all happy living in a different country, it was only when we returned to the UK we realised what a great life style we had. I hope we will be as happy as you guys. Your house sounds fab!! I want one.
glynnieandy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.