Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 YEARS ON THE GOLD COAST

2 YEARS ON THE GOLD COAST

Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 YEARS ON THE GOLD COAST

Cant believe it has been 2 years already. How far we have come in that time. We arrived in 2005 with just enough cash to see us through the first 2 months or so and our house still for sale in England, so big fingers crossed on that one. Must be down to karma, because apart from a few little bumps in the road we are now in a position where we are probably not far off where we were in england financially, but heaps better off in terms of lifestyle and happiness.

Saying that, these things dont get handed to you on a plate, especially on the Gold Coast, in our case we had to be prepared to go right back to basics, accept that we had to work for low pay and just get on with it. In both of our cases we have worked hard and within 2 years both moved onwards and upwards.

The kids are doing well, we have an 8 year old boy and 15 year old girl, no probs at all with the youngest but it has been a lot harder with the eldest - she has the time of her life here, but if you ask her she would go back to England in a heartbeat. One day I will take her back and leave her there wih rellies and I reckon she wont want to get back here fast enough. UNtil that happens, she will always consider as this Utopia , where she never had any problems, had fantastic friends, never fell out with any of them etc etc.

We have a nice house, big enough for visitors, a pool, 2 cars, an oldish boat (and a nice large mortgage - it isnt all good!).

Its funny but the things you miss about England are daft things, like Chinese Takeaway, clothes shopping -(Variety of types of shops and clothes - wasnt averse to shopping in Primark for bargains!), Greggs Cheese Pasties, good selection of ready meals in supermarkets ... in fact most things food wise.

On the other hand, we eat really well when I have the time, and you can buy lovely joints of beef, chicken etc for what seems really cheap to me for what I can remember of English prices.

I still convert to pounds to get idea of value in my head, but do this a lot less than I used to.

All in all we are pleased we made the move, dont have anything to really complain about and now just have to decide what to do tonight to celebrate.. so any ideas anyone please let me know

Julia
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:30 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 YEARS ON THE GOLD COAST

its lovely to hear how well you and your family are doing
best of luck with the next 2 years.
bec
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

It is anice to hear that those people that came over at the same sort of time as us are also so well settled. It really doesn't seem like 2 years ago that I was watching all of those just arrived posts.
All the best.
Nicky
Old Nov 30th 2007, 12:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd forgotten you arrived the same time as us. Glad it's worked out for you all. I don't think my eldest would go back to live now but she definitely wants to go visit.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'd forgotten you arrived the same time as us. Glad it's worked out for you all. I don't think my eldest would go back to live now but she definitely wants to go visit.

Yes, It would be nice to visit at some point, but not sure when we will be able to do it. I know deep down that we have done the best thing for the kids and when we become citizens, they will have the choice of where they can live in the future, and that is definitely a BIG plus for them, no visa application!

Good to hear that you are all settled in too, I read your two years in post and must say your little boat looks very similar to ours! .. wouldnt have had one of those 2 years ago would we.

Julia
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Yes, It would be nice to visit at some point, but not sure when we will be able to do it. I know deep down that we have done the best thing for the kids and when we become citizens, they will have the choice of where they can live in the future, and that is definitely a BIG plus for them, no visa application!

Good to hear that you are all settled in too, I read your two years in post and must say your little boat looks very similar to ours! .. wouldnt have had one of those 2 years ago would we.

Julia
no. We'd have been hard pressed to find the water for it, let alone the money or the time.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:14 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

nice to hear someone else thats settled

good luck in the future guys
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Fab post..its amazin what can be achieved in 2 yrs..good luck to you and your
family..(oh and your house sale)