British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   2 years ago (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/2-years-ago-842019/)

rasen78 Aug 29th 2014 9:19 am

2 years ago

..yesterday, we arrived. Our landing wasn't the most auspicious start and DD developed an ear infection and I developed tonsillitus. We sorted our Medicare in the first 24 hours!

So what has happened in the last year? Well, TBH, it's not been the best. But that is nothing to do with the migration (although the distance hasn't helped).

My mum sadly passed away from cancer in November and I had to go to the UK, with the intention of seeing her before she died. However, she passed pretty much as I got on the plane to leave Adelaide. My poor brother had to break the news to me when I arrived on the Sunday. So, instead of spending some quality time with my mum, I ended up arranging her funeral, sorting out her papers and helping my dad to start living an independent life. They had been married for 53 years!

Leaving my husband and children behind was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but going through the ceremony, and being everyone else's support when I didn't have any of my own was tough too. Landing back in Adelaide, I was pretty overcome when I saw my little family and while leaving my dad, brothers and close friends had been tough, it was a relief to be back home.

So, back home and life pretty much carried on as normal. I put my shoulder out so we weren't able to enjoy our body boarding as much, but I am hoping to get out there again this year and do some more - shoulder permitting. Work has had quite a few dramas. I was going to be let go, then they wanted me to stay on temporarily, then I was transferred to casual and now am in the process of being made permanent. I won't celebrate until I have the contract in my hand though! We lost a manager, and gained a new one, who is a much more effective manager and I get on well with.

Our house is turning into a bit of a money pit and in hindsight, we probably were a bit too keen and bought it too soon. But we are slowly getting stuff done, and regardless of what needs doing to it, it is still a good deal for its location - think worst house on best street scenario!

Things for ROMFT are going really well work wise. He is going great guns at work, had fantastic feedback and reviews and they are frequently sending him off to other parts of Oz (mainly Canberra but still!). Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with a torn retina a few weeks back, so he has been a bit out of sorts, but is now able to drive (hallelujah!) and will be back to flying next week too. This means we can all go on our planned trip to the Gold Coast in October - Yay!!:thumbsup:

The kids are doing wonderfully. They have both settled in so well. And they are so busy. S does school and club football (EFL) and ROMFT coaches for them too! And both S and L play basketball for school, are both in Cubs which they love and have swimming lessons. S will be eligible for the 2016 Jamboree in NSW so we are saving up for that - it looks a blast!

They are both enjoying school, and even though it's around 400 pupils, it has a really good community feel and there is a lot of parental engagement in activities which is great.

I have come to the conclusion I detest winter regardless of where I am. it has been cold here, but it is the damp you get in the houses because of the lack of heating that really affects me. I suffer from dry skin and it has been almost as bad as it would be in the UK. But, I LOVE the bright blue skies we get almost every day. And Spring is glorious. We have had a stunning day today of around 24oC with blue skies, barely any wind...not a day for being stuck in the office!

I do miss the UK, but it is more the friends, especially. But we are making good friends here and our social life isn't bad! We are going to a quiz night tomorrow night for the Scout Group (the largest in Australia - over 200 members) so that should be fun!!

My one piece of advice for anyone who is in a similar situation to what I had last year, don't leave it too late. I would much rather have had a few days with my mum, then spend 3 weeks planning her funeral. It IS hard to decide when is the best time to go, but even if you don't have a particularly close relationship (which we didn't; we loved each other but only spoke once a week at the most) don't underestimate the feelings when someone does go.

old.sparkles Aug 29th 2014 9:25 am

Re: 2 years ago

Originally Posted by rasen78 (Post 11385717)
..yesterday, we arrived. Our landing wasn't the most auspicious start and DD developed an ear infection and I developed tonsillitus. We sorted our Medicare in the first 24 hours!

So what has happened in the last year? Well, TBH, it's not been the best. But that is nothing to do with the migration (although the distance hasn't helped).

My mum sadly passed away from cancer in November and I had to go to the UK, with the intention of seeing her before she died. However, she passed pretty much as I got on the plane to leave Adelaide. My poor brother had to break the news to me when I arrived on the Sunday. So, instead of spending some quality time with my mum, I ended up arranging her funeral, sorting out her papers and helping my dad to start living an independent life. They had been married for 53 years!

Leaving my husband and children behind was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but going through the ceremony, and being everyone else's support when I didn't have any of my own was tough too. Landing back in Adelaide, I was pretty overcome when I saw my little family and while leaving my dad, brothers and close friends had been tough, it was a relief to be back home.

So, back home and life pretty much carried on as normal. I put my shoulder out so we weren't able to enjoy our body boarding as much, but I am hoping to get out there again this year and do some more - shoulder permitting. Work has had quite a few dramas. I was going to be let go, then they wanted me to stay on temporarily, then I was transferred to casual and now am in the process of being made permanent. I won't celebrate until I have the contract in my hand though! We lost a manager, and gained a new one, who is a much more effective manager and I get on well with.

Our house is turning into a bit of a money pit and in hindsight, we probably were a bit too keen and bought it too soon. But we are slowly getting stuff done, and regardless of what needs doing to it, it is still a good deal for its location - think worst house on best street scenario!

Things for ROMFT are going really well work wise. He is going great guns at work, had fantastic feedback and reviews and they are frequently sending him off to other parts of Oz (mainly Canberra but still!). Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with a torn retina a few weeks back, so he has been a bit out of sorts, but is now able to drive (hallelujah!) and will be back to flying next week too. This means we can all go on our planned trip to the Gold Coast in October - Yay!!:thumbsup:

The kids are doing wonderfully. They have both settled in so well. And they are so busy. S does school and club football (EFL) and ROMFT coaches for them too! And both S and L play basketball for school, are both in Cubs which they love and have swimming lessons. S will be eligible for the 2016 Jamboree in NSW so we are saving up for that - it looks a blast!

They are both enjoying school, and even though it's around 400 pupils, it has a really good community feel and there is a lot of parental engagement in activities which is great.

I have come to the conclusion I detest winter regardless of where I am. it has been cold here, but it is the damp you get in the houses because of the lack of heating that really affects me. I suffer from dry skin and it has been almost as bad as it would be in the UK. But, I LOVE the bright blue skies we get almost every day. And Spring is glorious. We have had a stunning day today of around 24oC with blue skies, barely any wind...not a day for being stuck in the office!

I do miss the UK, but it is more the friends, especially. But we are making good friends here and our social life isn't bad! We are going to a quiz night tomorrow night for the Scout Group (the largest in Australia - over 200 members) so that should be fun!!
My one piece of advice for anyone who is in a similar situation to what I had last year, don't leave it too late. I would much rather have had a few days with my mum, then spend 3 weeks planning her funeral. It IS hard to decide when is the best time to go, but even if you don't have a particularly close relationship (which we didn't; we loved each other but only spoke once a week at the most) don't underestimate the feelings when someone does go.

What do I let you talk me into :lol:

Congrats on the 2 years - booze has arrived - party time tomorrow :thumbsup:

scottishcelts Aug 29th 2014 9:51 am

That was lovely to read, despite the sad bits. :)

2 yrs has flown past - congrats to you all xxx

Molly Coddle Aug 31st 2014 10:22 am

Good write up and good advice about going back to see loved ones who are ill, it can't be an easy situation to be in. I Hope the next two years are kinder to you rasen. :fingerscrossed:

carolinephillips Sep 3rd 2014 6:48 am

Congrats on 2 years in Aus. I feel like you about winters- plays havoc with my Reynaud's, even though the outside temps are 10-15 degrees warmer than a British winter.

I hope that ROMFT's eye heals properly and that you and he are back to full capacity soon. Eye problems are nasty. Is he taking Micro 's Bilberry and Lutein supplements? They were recommended to me by my opthalmic surgeon. They come in a fetching box with lots of eyes all over it, which I find quite scary!!!

Hope the next 2 years are less traumatic for you. Will you go for citizenship after they are past?

rasen78 Sep 5th 2014 8:29 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 11390950)
Congrats on 2 years in Aus. I feel like you about winters- plays havoc with my Reynaud's, even though the outside temps are 10-15 degrees warmer than a British winter.

I hope that ROMFT's eye heals properly and that you and he are back to full capacity soon. Eye problems are nasty. Is he taking Micro 's Bilberry and Lutein supplements? They were recommended to me by my opthalmic surgeon. They come in a fetching box with lots of eyes all over it, which I find quite scary!!!

Hope the next 2 years are less traumatic for you. Will you go for citizenship after they are past?

Thanks all.

Caroline, yes, we will be going for citizenship. I think we are eligible in 2016. I shall mention those supplements to ROMFT. Can you get them from chemists?

carolinephillips Sep 5th 2014 8:55 am

Originally Posted by rasen78 (Post 11393395)
Thanks all.

Caroline, yes, we will be going for citizenship. I think we are eligible in 2016. I shall mention those supplements to ROMFT. Can you get them from chemists?

Yes, they are widely available, but not cheap, so research online for the chemist that sells them cheapest. In my area it is Go Vita, where a bottle of 90 costs about $56.

rasen78 Sep 5th 2014 9:07 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 11393404)
Yes, they are widely available, but not cheap, so research online for the chemist that sells them cheapest. In my area it is Go Vita, where a bottle of 90 costs about $56.

:scaredhair::scaredhair::scaredhair::scaredhair: