Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 Weeks in - came over with EUR10K

2 Weeks in - came over with EUR10K

Old Oct 21st 2008, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

sarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant future
Default 2 Weeks in - came over with EUR10K

Just a quick post - we arrived in Sydney 2 weeks ago today, after spending 3 weeks around Thailand, loving it so far...

In our first week we got a car, accessed our bank accounts which we had set up from home, got our Medicare sorted and got our NSW Licences. Husband did his greencard course and bought his tools. Schools were closed so we had to wait to get that sorted but had researched it a bit from home so had a fair idea. Took some time to eat out and check out the Aquarium, parks, etc., also spent an afternoon on Clovelly Beach, a couple on Bondi and one on Coogee... no complaints there...

Have found the Australians to be unbelievably helpful whether it be asking directions, finding a bus or in the Medicare office or whatever. The school have been great and our daughter started school yesterday and loves it so we are thrilled. Husband started work end of last week and I start tomorrow. So all in all its been a busy but pretty smooth 2 weeks. The schools here run amazing out-of-care centres for working parents to use and so its very handy.

We did our first apartment viewing on Saturday and applied for an apartment near the sea, got word today that we have been accepted (thankfully got the jobs in time for the application) and so we move into our new apartment on Friday...

I really enjoyed reading the updates on this forum whilst we were in the process of applying and hope this mail will help give some encouragement to those who may be worrying!!! We still have a few thousand dollars left - so really it IS doable on a smaller amount of money.

We are delighted with ourselves - best of luck to all those waiting to hear and thanks to everyone on the site - I found it so helpful during the painful application process.

Sarah
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Weeks in - came over with EUR10K

Great update and it sounds like you have really landed on your feet

You are right, reading the updates on here really spurs me on too, so thanks for taking time to add yours.

Hope all continues to go well,

Ren xx
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Great post - so glad you're settling in so well. We were astonished at just how friendly they are as well. We asked directions to a soft play place in an electrical retailers and they googled on it and printed them out for us (can you imagine that in Comet!). We got invited by various friends of friends who we had never met to Christmas dinner, boxing day drinks and a New Years Eve party. I think of these times to help me get through the migration process and to remind me of why we are doing this; unfortunately so many Brits are now utterly miserable that we can't bear the kids being brought up in such a negative atmosphere.
Keep enjoying things and all the best
Lorraine
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

hantorro is on a distinguished road

Nice to hear you are settling in and being able to survive on a smaller budget, just proves it can be done. It makes me more determined then ever to keep going in the process reading heart lifting threads
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

londonmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we're still doing Thailand, arriving in Melbourne next week! You seen to have got jobs Very quickly - was that set up before you arrived?
Also: the car, did you need a perm address or have to retake your driving test or anything before you could drive it away?