British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   2 weeks in... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/2-weeks-458469/)

rkh001 Jun 14th 2007 11:48 pm

2 weeks in...

We have been in Sydney for 2 weeks now. In between the rain, we have managed to update our address details at the bank, changed addresses on Medicare and TFN (we were originally registered in Canberra in 2002, when we validated the visa).

Money got transferred yesterday as we were waiting for the rate to get a wee bit better - no luck there!

We have been looking for jobs but at our age (both 50) it is proving a bit difficult.

I find I am okay during the day but the early morning, when I just wake up, I get that sinking feeling. I can't say that I am home sick although I miss my parents, family and friends, not to the mention the familiarity! I mean that I am not looking backwards and wanting to go back to Blighty but the sense of the unknown is scary. Getting a job and getting into some normality will obviously help.

Well, that's the latest. Watch this space.

Jin

nightnurse2 Jun 15th 2007 3:05 am

Re: 2 weeks in...

I know that sickly, sinking feeling well :( I felt like that the day we arrived and wondered what the hell we'd done. It does get better, it only happens now when I think too hard about what I've left behind.
Good luck for getting a job. I'm sure there will be something for you both soon :)
Tracey

Nu-Shooz Jun 15th 2007 3:14 am

Originally Posted by rkh001 (Post 4916368)
We have been in Sydney for 2 weeks now. In between the rain, we have managed to update our address details at the bank, changed addresses on Medicare and TFN (we were originally registered in Canberra in 2002, when we validated the visa).

Money got transferred yesterday as we were waiting for the rate to get a wee bit better - no luck there!

We have been looking for jobs but at our age (both 50) it is proving a bit difficult.

I find I am okay during the day but the early morning, when I just wake up, I get that sinking feeling. I can't say that I am home sick although I miss my parents, family and friends, not to the mention the familiarity! I mean that I am not looking backwards and wanting to go back to Blighty but the sense of the unknown is scary. Getting a job and getting into some normality will obviously help.

Jin

I have never been to Sydney but most on here seem to love the place. Most go through these emotions. I hope you feel better about the whole situation soon.
Good luck.

rkh001 Jun 15th 2007 3:24 am

Originally Posted by nightnurse2 (Post 4916756)
I know that sickly, sinking feeling well :( I felt like that the day we arrived and wondered what the hell we'd done. It does get better, it only happens now when I think too hard about what I've left behind.
Good luck for getting a job. I'm sure there will be something for you both soon :)
Tracey

Thanks Tracey. For some reason the grass always seem greener on the other side. I keep thinking that maybe we should have reviewed our lives in the UK and although this decision to come over was made after a lot of research and thought, why does it still feel 'not right'?

I guess it's only been 2 weeks and maybe once we have had a bit more time and the weather gets a bit better, we might just start to settle in. If only life was easier... but I mustn't complain as I am fully aware of my decisions and their outcomes.

Jin

rkh001 Jun 15th 2007 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 4916762)
I have never been to Sydney but most on here seem to love the place. Most go through these emotions. I hope you feel better about the whole situation soon.
Good luck.

Thanks Nu-Shooz.

Sydney is beautiful but I guess the weather doesn't help. Getting jobs will help too. At the moment the jetlag isn't helping. I think it's also something to do with the fact that we were so stressed before we came over and somehow getting here doesn't relieve the stress. Time will, once we have settled in.

Jin

Polley Jun 28th 2007 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by rkh001 (Post 4916368)

Jin

Hi Jin,

I am a new member. Just serched for Canberra and your thread came up. Just wondering what you thought of Canberra. My OH Darren and daughter Lucy 2yrs are waiting to find out if we can go to Canberra. Not our first choice but we were on its list for a 137 Visa. Been on a few web forums and the impression I get so far is that its clean and straight from a drawing board. Can you give us some advice on some of the areas that are nice to live and which ones to avoid. Would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Catherine :unsure:

rkh001 Jun 28th 2007 11:16 pm

Hi Catherine

We lived in Canberra in 2002/2003 in the Yarralumla suburb. I liked it but my hubby didn't. He found it too clinical.

The only thing that I didn't like was that there didn't seem to be many things to do and in the summer it was just too hot - about 40 deg. C. We don't have children so can't tell you much about schools etc.

I liked the fact that it is really clean and tidy and somehow felt very safe - maybe because it is the capital and we were just round the corner from all the embassies. And there are lots of places to walk - mind the mossies though. They come out in droves once the day sets.

Hope you like it there and good luck.

Jin

Polley Jun 29th 2007 7:31 am

Originally Posted by rkh001 (Post 4983181)
Hi Catherine

We lived in Canberra in 2002/2003 in the Yarralumla suburb. I liked it but my hubby didn't. He found it too clinical.

The only thing that I didn't like was that there didn't seem to be many things to do and in the summer it was just too hot - about 40 deg. C. We don't have children so can't tell you much about schools etc.

I liked the fact that it is really clean and tidy and somehow felt very safe - maybe because it is the capital and we were just round the corner from all the embassies. And there are lots of places to walk - mind the mossies though. They come out in droves once the day sets.

Hope you like it there and good luck.

Jin

Hi Jin,

Thanks for the advice. At least its only for two years I may be able to put up with it. I hate mossies aswell I will get bitten to death :D

Hope your enjoying Sydney!

Catherine

s-jmelbournewannabe Jul 4th 2007 10:57 pm

Jin, hope the sinkin feeling dissapears soon for you honey....
You'll be ok in time, chin up lass!!! :p S-j x

rkh001 Jul 5th 2007 12:28 am

Hi s-j

Thank you.

I remember that last time we came, in 2002, I absolutely loved being here but the feelings of isolation, loneliness, etc were just more than the joy of being here. So we went back to the UK. Whilst there I could not stop thinking about what could have been had we persevered.

So, almost 4 years to the day we are here. Today, 5 weeks after landing, I felt 'happy' being here. Neither of us have jobs yet, but I feel that the pressure of being in the UK was much greater than here. Life just got so busy and tiresome over there. We were working to pay the bills. We had no money to have a holiday of any sort. In the end it was a choice we made and I do believe that things will work out here.

We have come over with very little money but I still strongly believe that we are in a better place. If only I could get rid of this sinking feeling that I get first thing in the morning. There is so much guilt over leaving elderly parents and children (hubby has 3 - 27, 25 & 15). But I am sure we will get there in the near future.

But thanks for your support and kind words.

Jin x:)

shears Jul 5th 2007 12:39 am

Hi Jin

Just wanted to wish you luck with the job search and settling in - you'd better update your location now!

:)

rkh001 Jul 5th 2007 3:50 am

Originally Posted by shears (Post 5010286)
Hi Jin

Just wanted to wish you luck with the job search and settling in - you'd better update your location now!

:)

Thank you Shears.

Profile updated.

Jin:)

lollyno1 Jul 5th 2007 5:23 am

Originally Posted by rkh001 (Post 5010666)
Thank you Shears.

Profile updated.

Jin:)

just wanted to say good luck. Hope things settle down soon and that sinking feeling sinks away forever.

rkh001 Jul 5th 2007 5:53 am

Originally Posted by lollyno1 (Post 5010773)
just wanted to say good luck. Hope things settle down soon and that sinking feeling sinks away forever.

Thank you lollyno1.

I am sure I am not the only one feeling like this but it is a very isolating feeling. I feel confident that it will sink away through my feet at some point but I am no where even near my navel yet! I take comfort from this site and know that I am in the same boat as many others.

Thanks.

Jin