2 months today

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 months today

So two months ago to the day, i arrived in the fiercest heat I've ever experienced (36 degrees). Thought i'd give an update.

Arriving to the airport, I had to wait around until about 2 o'clock to collect a key from the serviced apartment. Not good when i arrived at 6.30 in the morning. So, I hired a car and headed down town using my trusty (yeah right) gps on my XDA phone. It got me to Circular key. I parked somewhere and was dead excited about walking around and seeing the place. Seeing the harbour bridge for the first time took my breath away. There was an Aborigini playing his music on the aul didgeridoo which really set the scene. i think he's every day the sun is out, he is when i'm there anyway. Walking about in the heat was intense to say the least. But i was just blown away at how beautiful it was. After about an hour I think i was ready to feint. Lack of sleep, jetlag etc plus walking around in an oven took its toll. i realised I had no idea where i parked the car. Panic, couldnt even ask for directions as all i could ask was 'do you know where i might have parked my car close to here??' Took another hour of dragging my feet around to eventually find it.... and pay 60 ****** squid for the parking.

When I eventually got my ket for the apartment, got to the apartment and find that i couldnt sleep. I thought it would be a good idea to check out the roof of the block. So i did.... and locked myself out of the apartment. Had to get WALK to Waterloo to collect another set of keys. I was getting seriously annoyed with myself. Apartment didnt have broadband even though it was advertised. Was able to connect to an unprotected wireless connection (completely illegal of course) for about 20 minutes of every day. Went and bought that prepaid stuff from telstra on the Sunday (I arrived on a saturday).

For some reason, the panic set in. Before I came over i was thinking about doing some travelling and just dossing about for a while. But, I thought 'oh crap, i have to find somewhere to live, gotta get a job, can i support myself??'. It was a bit of a stupid panic attack as it removed me from my holiday and put me in the pressure zone of sorting everything out immediately. in hindsight, thats not such a bad thing to happen.

So, i found somewhere to live the following monday (labour day) and started job hunting. At the start, job hunting seemed a breeze. i kept getting told that there were loads of jobs for me. Its just a shame that most agencies are stuck up their own backside. Positive feedback happened nearly everyday from agencies. They all wanted me. But, in truth, they didnt have the jobs. they were just desperate to have candidates ready to fill jobs as they opened up.

Met up with my aunt a week after I arrived. She's a total nutcase and so definitely related to me. Very welcoming and always checking up on me (even now). Actually, she lives about 2 minutes drive away from me now.

The thursday meetups in the CBD was something i showed up to the first thursday i was in sydney. Lovely bunch of people. A bit intimidating to turn up on your own and look for a bunch of english heads. But they probably saw me looking like a prat as i looked around the pub. So, very welcoming, very nice and eaqsy to get on with. One or two that support silly teams like Everton and Burnley but I let it pass.

So, everyday I did a bit of job hunting, every day i got good responses from agencies and most days i had no interviews. Done a lot of shopping since I've been here, mostly to occupy time. But have been out in Coogee a good bit. Met a girl there actually and have seen here a few times since. Not sure if its heading anywhere but we will see. i dont give up that easily. I think not having a job is a bit of a deterent but that brings me to my next point.

i've have some interviews since i got here. 1 of them was pulled after the interview due to lack of funding. Another didnt go ahead because they are a stuck up bunch of tossers who wanted a gimp who'd keep their mouth shut whilst keeping their IT department ticking.

Had one yesterday and it was very very positive. They are interested in taking me on and so, subject to a HR interview, I think I will get it. Not excellent money but good. Fingers crossed.

Christmas is going to be weird. Most likely spending it with my aunt but the sun really does destroy the christmassy feeling. Absolutely not bothered about that though as its a small sacrifice.

Anyway, thats my update. Will probably do another one in about 4 months time.

If anyone has any questions about my experience, ask away.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2 months today

Enjoyed your update, very real reading

and just loved your 'name'
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nige, enjoyed reading that. Had a good laugh at the roof and the keys... all part of the fun.

Fingers crossed for this job - I'm sure you will feel much better when you have an income. Then you can take some time out and have that holiday!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys. I'm sure in 4 months time i'll have some more stupid stories lol.

(And I meant to say Circular Quay not key)
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:58 am
Holy c%*p, I'm in!!!

lilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nice

Hey Nige,

Great update, good read.

Be honest with me, how hard is it to make the move when you are going solo? Leave on 29th December, have a unit sorted which cuts out a lot of the hassle but is it very daunting? I think meeting new people and making new friends must be the hardest part, I am lucky that I have a few good buddies up on the central coast where I plan to stay for a while.

What's been the hardest part when you are going on your own?! Just preparing myself for any negatives there might be, I'm hoping you are going to tell me there aren't any negatives!

Just got my visa yesterday so getting my head around the fact that I'm actually going!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lilsweets
Hey Nige,

Great update, good read.

Be honest with me, how hard is it to make the move when you are going solo? Leave on 29th December, have a unit sorted which cuts out a lot of the hassle but is it very daunting? I think meeting new people and making new friends must be the hardest part, I am lucky that I have a few good buddies up on the central coast where I plan to stay for a while.

What's been the hardest part when you are going on your own?! Just preparing myself for any negatives there might be, I'm hoping you are going to tell me there aren't any negatives!

Just got my visa yesterday so getting my head around the fact that I'm actually going!
You're blessed that you arent hauling small kids across to the otherside of the world. It seems to be really hard to make that work as kids are unpredictable. As you are on your own, you can tell yourself to make it work and not have to force someone else to make it work.

i havent found anything difficult here other than job hunting. I was told to expect a big culture shock but thats yet to happen. I think when you are willing to try things and not keep yourself locked up in a flat due to fear, you give yourself every chance of having a good life here. I've seen many people on here talk about how difficult it is to make Ozzie friends but perhaps they are trying too hard or not at all. Friends you make here dont have to be Australian, there are tonnes of ex pats over here.

There is a new movie coming out with jim Carry (unless its already out in the UK). Basically, the idea is to say yes to everything. without taking that too literally, try and do that. If someone invites you to a BBQ, then go (sorry Karen and Colin, my cousin DID ask me first lol).

Also, be sure to have enough funds to support yourself for atleast a few months. The feedback I'm getting is that it generally takes a few months to get work/sponsorship even in a strong market. That might be over cautious but the last thing you'd want is to find yourself short. I took that precaution and am glad I did. i was expecting to be able to find work pretty much straight away but right now, even the strong job prospect i have isnt guaranteed. I cant go mad and buy a jeep and a boat or anything (not that I could anyway). But I can still enjoy my time unemployed whilst I'm here.

I moved to Maroubra but will be moving again early next year. Its boring in maroubra. Beach is lovely but no life. Move to somewhere with lots of people your age. those guys could actually help you out with finding work as well.

You can definitely live here cheaper than you can in the UK. The trick is finding the cheaper shops. I just came back from Westfield in Bondi Junction. I've never seen a shopping centre like it. Enormous and i got lost i dont know how many times. But they have pretty much everything. Even the cheap stuff like Target.

Good luck with your move. If you have any more questions then ask away. I'll help if i can.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, have followed your progress over the months and want to wish you all the best for your life in Australia. Thoroughly enjoyed your update, good luck.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tomar
Hi, have followed your progress over the months and want to wish you all the best for your life in Australia. Thoroughly enjoyed your update, good luck.
Thanks Tomar. Good luck with yours.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:28 pm
Holy c%*p, I'm in!!!

lilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nice

Nice one Nige,

Cheers, very encouraging. Gutted you won't be able to buy that boat though, I won't bother going to meet-ups now, only wanted to catch up with you if you had a massive vessle docked at Circular Quay!

Hope you find a job soon, although enjoy the free time while you can get it.

Good luck with it all,

Lil
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Wow sounds like you're having fun and games. Good luck with the girl and the job...

I might head down to Sydney for the CBD drinks and spend a long weekend in Sydney as Newcastle doesn't seem to have any expats at all!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

vix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to all

i promised i would read it and i have, very interesting... did you find out about the job today? I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

p.s. my head hurts...
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vix77
i promised i would read it and i have, very interesting... did you find out about the job today? I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

p.s. my head hurts...
Your head hurts because of me running rings around you last night on the pool table. Twas good to be able to show off my skills at last.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

pacey is an unknown quantity at this point

nice one nige!

I think it's lovely how your aunt moved to maroubra to keep tabs on you and give you packed lunches and the occasional cottage pie.

Where do you think you'll move to?

ps: my head also hurts. those pint pots were just too novel for me to pass up.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pacey
nice one nige!

I think it's lovely how your aunt moved to maroubra to keep tabs on you and give you packed lunches and the occasional cottage pie.

Where do you think you'll move to?

ps: my head also hurts. those pint pots were just too novel for me to pass up.
Cheers Pacey. i think its your turn to post an update. People seem to be reluctant to do that. Vicky said there was no point. I think its important for those who have yet to arrive.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

vix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Cheers Pacey. i think its your turn to post an update. People seem to be reluctant to do that. Vicky said there was no point. I think its important for those who have yet to arrive.
Look at you naming and shaming... maybe i will write one - a yr and a half in oz...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.