2 Months in!

Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice
Default Re: 2 Months in!

I should have added a good tip from my mother in law.

We were travelling with 9 suitcases so i packed 1 suitcase for Singapore and another 2 for when we first arrived in Oz and labelled them accordingly.

Once we arrived in Singapore we left 8 suitcases in 'Left Luggage' at the airport and this was a godsend. It meant we only had 1 suitcase to pack and unpack and we weren't routing through every suitcase, plus we didn't have to lug them alll with us! It only cost about 20 quid. Well worth it i think!

Melis
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Well done for embracing the opportunity with both hands and reporting what a fantastic experience it has been for you thus far. I hope it all continues to be so good for you.
Mx
Old Jan 6th 2007, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: woodbridge suffolk hoping to go live northside brisbane
suffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mel n Daz
Well, this could be a long one, but i wanted to return the favour to all the good posts and tips we used along our journey to Oz!

Our goodbyes weren't as bad as i thought they would be. Darren's parents dropped us to the airport and off we went.

We flew with Singapore Air and didn't have a problem with them at all. They were fantastic on board with the boys and there was plenty to do, i.e. movies, games etc. In fact, the boys didn't touch their things we had taken them to do! (plus me n daz had a few dwinks)

We stopped over in Singapore for 3 nights at Sentosa Island and it was beautiful there. The people we fab and couldn't do enough for us.

We did come across a problem at Singapore airport with our luggage allowance, but thankfully i had printed off the emails from Singapore air, stating that we were allowed the 40kgs each. So thanks so much for that great tip! I would suggest if you are stopping over, (this seems to be where the problem lies) to email you airline and get confirmation that you are allowed the 40kgs.

We landed at 7.30pm on 10th November at Brissy airport and was met by an older couple that were my gran's friends, friends, friend!! Not having been to Oz before we had never met them and they have been great to us.

We picked up our hire car (Europcar) from the airport and set off to Redcliffe. I didn't get any sleep the first night as i was so excited!

We spent our first week on Bribie Island which was out of this world. Finding accomodation was pretty easy and we stayed at a self contained apartment with everything you can imagine in it!

My hubby dealt with all the finacial side of things, like keeping UK bank account open, keeping cards and informing them that you are moving to Oz and large amounts of money will be withdrawn. There was a frantic call to Barclays when our card was stopped!!

Before we left the UK we also opened up a bank account online with Commonwealth Bank. Again, since we have been here they have been great with us. Everything has gone very smoothly, touch wood!

We have been renting a lovely 3 bed house for the past 7 weeks and love it hear. I should add too that we had no problems with references for renting a house or renting things like tv,s, washing machines etc. The letting agency we used for the house said they knew what we had to go through to get our visa's so that was good enough for them! We rented our tv's etc from Mr Rental It which we did online and they phoned us with a date we wanted them delivered. Again very easy.

Our youngest has started Kindy, he is 4 and just missed out starting full time school. So he has to wait another year. Our eldest is 12 and will be starting year 8 at the end of January.

Our container docked on 19th December, but with christmas there is a delay in it being delivered, so hopefully everything will go smoothly there
Not that we have much in there, kids toys, bikes, kitchen ware. We decided to buy all new furniture once we arrived.

www.superamart.com.au is fab for furniture, also www.fantasticfurniture.com.au. For things like cheap crockery, pots n pans etc we found www.crazyclarks.com.au fantastic. Very cheap and cheerful but will do us till our stuff arrives! Remember to haggle for everything you buy too. I don't think we have paid full price for anything we have bought

My hubby is still looking for work, but is in no real rush at the minute! He is just enjoying a nice long well earned break, after having to work 7 days a week in the UK.

As for internet connection, we brought our laptop with us and got a Telstra disk for dial up when we first arrived. This was a god send as internet cafe's are few and far between. We picked up our disk from a Testra shop.

There really isn't anything at all we can grumble about, the aussie people have been very kind to us. Where ever we go, whether it be the shopping centre, bank, Centrelink or just out and about, they have been very forthcoming with information and general chit chat.

I go walking most mornings and have joined the gym. My hubby has taken up golf!! We have enrolled both boys in swimming lessons and are hoping to get them both into cricket too.

Finally, the weather is just grand, the beaches are lovely and we are so happy we made the decision to move here. Our lives are so different already and that is what we wanted. A better life for our boys.

I think i have covered most things, but i could have sat here and wrote forever!

Take care all and Happy New year!

Melis and Daz
we were in redcliffe may 2006 and bribie island which we loved,hope to be living there soon. really informative post maybe we can meet when we get there
Old Jan 6th 2007, 5:12 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing and glad that you are enjoying your new life. Keep us all updated
J x
Old Jan 6th 2007, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

My hubby opened a bank account with Commonwealth online www.commonwealthbank.com.au i think. He did call them once or twice too. Anz and Commonwealth banks are everwhere here, so it's easy to access your account. We did take a trip to Brissy City to pick up our bank cards etc, but they did offer to post them to our local branch for us. (It was me who insisted on going to the city though. SHOPPING!! )

With all the talk on expats about different airlines, we just chose Singapore Air as they seemed the best, plus we wanted to stop over in Singapore and they were one of the cheapest.

Hope this help, any more questions just fire away!

Melis

Thanks for all the help. We have now booked our flights for 7th February with Singapore Airways and will stay over in Singapore for 3 nights. Keep in touch and see you soon Sue
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Well, this could be a long one, but i wanted to return the favour to all the good posts and tips we used along our journey to Oz!

Our goodbyes weren't as bad as i thought they would be. Darren's parents dropped us to the airport and off we went.

We flew with Singapore Air and didn't have a problem with them at all. They were fantastic on board with the boys and there was plenty to do, i.e. movies, games etc. In fact, the boys didn't touch their things we had taken them to do! (plus me n daz had a few dwinks)

We stopped over in Singapore for 3 nights at Sentosa Island and it was beautiful there. The people we fab and couldn't do enough for us.

We did come across a problem at Singapore airport with our luggage allowance, but thankfully i had printed off the emails from Singapore air, stating that we were allowed the 40kgs each. So thanks so much for that great tip! I would suggest if you are stopping over, (this seems to be where the problem lies) to email you airline and get confirmation that you are allowed the 40kgs.

We landed at 7.30pm on 10th November at Brissy airport and was met by an older couple that were my gran's friends, friends, friend!! Not having been to Oz before we had never met them and they have been great to us.

We picked up our hire car (Europcar) from the airport and set off to Redcliffe. I didn't get any sleep the first night as i was so excited!

We spent our first week on Bribie Island which was out of this world. Finding accomodation was pretty easy and we stayed at a self contained apartment with everything you can imagine in it!

My hubby dealt with all the finacial side of things, like keeping UK bank account open, keeping cards and informing them that you are moving to Oz and large amounts of money will be withdrawn. There was a frantic call to Barclays when our card was stopped!!

Before we left the UK we also opened up a bank account online with Commonwealth Bank. Again, since we have been here they have been great with us. Everything has gone very smoothly, touch wood!

We have been renting a lovely 3 bed house for the past 7 weeks and love it hear. I should add too that we had no problems with references for renting a house or renting things like tv,s, washing machines etc. The letting agency we used for the house said they knew what we had to go through to get our visa's so that was good enough for them! We rented our tv's etc from Mr Rental It which we did online and they phoned us with a date we wanted them delivered. Again very easy.

Our youngest has started Kindy, he is 4 and just missed out starting full time school. So he has to wait another year. Our eldest is 12 and will be starting year 8 at the end of January.

Our container docked on 19th December, but with christmas there is a delay in it being delivered, so hopefully everything will go smoothly there
Not that we have much in there, kids toys, bikes, kitchen ware. We decided to buy all new furniture once we arrived.

www.superamart.com.au is fab for furniture, also www.fantasticfurniture.com.au. For things like cheap crockery, pots n pans etc we found www.crazyclarks.com.au fantastic. Very cheap and cheerful but will do us till our stuff arrives! Remember to haggle for everything you buy too. I don't think we have paid full price for anything we have bought

My hubby is still looking for work, but is in no real rush at the minute! He is just enjoying a nice long well earned break, after having to work 7 days a week in the UK.

As for internet connection, we brought our laptop with us and got a Telstra disk for dial up when we first arrived. This was a god send as internet cafe's are few and far between. We picked up our disk from a Testra shop.

There really isn't anything at all we can grumble about, the aussie people have been very kind to us. Where ever we go, whether it be the shopping centre, bank, Centrelink or just out and about, they have been very forthcoming with information and general chit chat.

I go walking most mornings and have joined the gym. My hubby has taken up golf!! We have enrolled both boys in swimming lessons and are hoping to get them both into cricket too.

Finally, the weather is just grand, the beaches are lovely and we are so happy we made the decision to move here. Our lives are so different already and that is what we wanted. A better life for our boys.

I think i have covered most things, but i could have sat here and wrote forever!

Melis and Daz
what a great read great to hear its all going well it makes us who are still in the early days of applying more excited and more positive minded hearing stories like yours hope to hear more of your life in oz here here and happy new year to yourself and your family
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulhill
Thanks for all the help. We have now booked our flights for 7th February with Singapore Airways and will stay over in Singapore for 3 nights. Keep in touch and see you soon Sue
Yep will keep in touch Sue,

Take care and have a safe journey

Melis
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:48 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

great post and really informative. we have just got our visas and hope to get to the gold coast later in the year so will keep your tips safe
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, sounds like you're doing really really. You mentioned Redcliffe - that is an area I'm particularly interested in as a potential place to settle when we emigrate in 18 months or so. Please tel me as much as you can about Redcliffe! I'm particularly interested in knowing how much of a cafe culture there is there and if it is easy to commute to Brisbane city from Redcliffe. Thanks a million. x
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

joandken is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 2 Months in!

Hi Melis and Daz im glad to hear you are all enjoying your new life out there, are you in Brisbane town our the suburbs?

I have saved your whole message, so many great tips, thanks.

I hope you don’t mind me asking but can you give me an idea how much your shipping cost were, I have been quoted about £1,500 door to door but friends of friends mentioned they had to pay £3,000 import tax.

We are hoping to come out to the Sunshine coast in July this year and can’t wait for the visas. I will be studying, my husband can work 20 hours a week and hopefully my 4 year old will settle well into school.

Sorry to go on but very excited. Thanks for great post again.

Jo Ken and Harry
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:29 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Melis and Daz
Great post ...thanks for sharing and happy new year to you too
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Nick_H is an unknown quantity at this point

I am just in the process of looking for flights and was interested to see that Singapore Airlines have allowed you 40Kg per person. I can not see any reference to this on their website.

Do you know whether this was a special deal or whether it is available to all who are emigrating and where I can find further details

Thanks