Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 months & 2 weeks in Perth..... but!

2 months & 2 weeks in Perth..... but!

Old May 5th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2 months & 2 weeks in Perth..... but!

My ex-hubby was a CNC machinist. My current hubby is a Overhead Linesman, he works with live electricity and has to climb the poles to get to the overhead power cables, dont know how he will cope working outside in oz with all his overalls, hats etc when it is really really hot, we only managed 2 hours on the beach xmas day in our swimsuits cos it was soooooo hot. I dont work, but I do shop and lunch
Old May 5th 2008, 2:50 pm
Loving Perth!

mand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to all

Originally Posted by yanchep
My ex-hubby was a CNC machinist. My current hubby is a Overhead Linesman, he works with live electricity and has to climb the poles to get to the overhead power cables, dont know how he will cope working outside in oz with all his overalls, hats etc when it is really really hot, we only managed 2 hours on the beach xmas day in our swimsuits cos it was soooooo hot. I dont work, but I do shop and lunch
I could manage that kind of life style, not sure if James will let me live like that just yet though! I've seen the programmes on blokes doing that job, meant to earn a good wage?! 1 of the "wanted down under" shows was on a guy doing that job. Christmas day in my swimsuit, on the beach, now that will take some getting used to!
Old May 5th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I saw that one. Just been over to Poms in Perth site, nowt exciting going on there. My next step now is to get some removal quotes so I know how much it is going to cost to ship all our stuff over. We have been told by people who have moved over to oz to bring everything you can possibly fit into the container.
Old May 5th 2008, 3:12 pm
Loving Perth!

mand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to all

Yeah I saw that one. Just been over to Poms in Perth site, nowt exciting going on there. My next step now is to get some removal quotes so I know how much it is going to cost to ship all our stuff over. We have been told by people who have moved over to oz to bring everything you can possibly fit into the container.
I read a similar thread, was going to sell a load of our stuff at a car boot but decided to take it with us instead. www.sevenseasworldwide.com was recommended at some point on here & the prices seems reasonable to me, although we won't be taking a lot, mainly just towels, sheets, kitchen stuff so will only amount to a few boxes.

Not heard of Poms in Perth, is it worth a look? What's the website address?
Old May 5th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

will look them removal people up in a minute. Just type in Poms in Perth and it will come up, its worth a look, lot of people that have already moved over give a lot of useful information out and its good to hear about other peoples journeys over there.
Old May 5th 2008, 3:26 pm
Loving Perth!

will look them removal people up in a minute. Just type in Poms in Perth and it will come up, its worth a look, lot of people that have already moved over give a lot of useful information out and its good to hear about other peoples journeys over there.
It was tough but I found the website, pomsinperth.com funnily enough, not really sure why I asked for the website, it's been a tough day in front of the computer.....

The 1st bit of the website that I clicked on was a thread with jokes on it, not at all helpful but very funny!
Old May 5th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

These forums get you quite addicted dont they, hubby cant believe I am still stuck on computer, dont know why he cant believe it cos hes been stuck on the playstation 3 for hours and hours too Oh well at least the sun is shining through the window now, not been a bad bank holiday monday at all really has it, even though I havent ventured outside into the real world
Old May 5th 2008, 4:36 pm
Loving Perth!

Only just read your reply, thought I should move away from the computer, and only an hour later & I'm back. It is extremely addictive
Old May 7th 2008, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Hi everyone

Thought it was about time I gave an update now that some time has passed!

First off, hubby has now found work with a good firm. Money still not good but the work is consistent so he is going to stick with it as long as they want him and in between start to buy some kit and hopefully in 4-6 months he will go on his own once his confidence is up abit.

The a******e he worked for before screwed him over for $700 and as he is built very big "both ways", I have said to Marc to just let it go. There is no way we are going to get kicked out of the country for a shit like that. I am a great believer in karma and something will come back and bite his arse for revenge and hopefully it is soon.

My 4 year old is still finding things tough. I thought we had a break through a couple of weeks ago and he was behaving much better and being civil to me but as soon as he had to go back to Kindy after the holidays it started back up again. He has a speech problem and from what I can gather from him and another mum who told me that her son told her, that he is getting teased about it. I went and spoke to the teacher and in a very polite way told her to find out who it was and stop them or I will go to the principal and hope that this works. On Monday I dragged him into the car shouting and screaming and strapped him in, only for him to take off his seat belt while I was driving and start hitting me round the head and screaming that he wasn't going. I just turned round and went home but today I persevered and hauled him in there and left crying buckets along with him, it is breaking my heart.

Last week we were told that we have to leave our rental in 2 months!!! The person we were renting from is the property manager for the actual rental agency and she was setting up down south. Told us we could live here for 5-7 years and now the venture has went tits up and she wants her house back! I just feel like we get one thing sorted and another thing comes up. She even said that we could not break our rental agreement without paying $945 for admin fees and advertising fees. When I then asked her why I would have to advertise it when she would be moving back in and she said that was the rules. What a rip off! I just feel like I am in limbo as I can't find another rental yet as they arell ready to move in now and don't want to leave it too late as there is no way on earth I am going back to that caravan!!

Anyway, still determined and 100% sure it was the right move to come here. Hopefully in another month (thank you to everyone who pm'd me and the ones who were interested enough to want an update) things will have improved again and that will be a happy ending to the story.

Take care everyone

Nic
Old May 7th 2008, 5:23 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic938
Last week we were told that we have to leave our rental in 2 months!!! The person we were renting from is the property manager for the actual rental agency and she was setting up down south. Told us we could live here for 5-7 years and now the venture has went tits up and she wants her house back! I just feel like we get one thing sorted and another thing comes up. She even said that we could not break our rental agreement without paying $945 for admin fees and advertising fees. When I then asked her why I would have to advertise it when she would be moving back in and she said that was the rules. What a rip off! I just feel like I am in limbo as I can't find another rental yet as they arell ready to move in now and don't want to leave it too late as there is no way on earth I am going back to that caravan!!

Nic i am sure this is illegal to do....i would get some legal advise first before you do anything.

Glad you giving it 100 % even though somethimes its unbearable......but you will be right !

I had another day in work full of tears....but you know they wont break me ....YET !!! LOL
Old May 7th 2008, 11:27 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Thought it was about time I gave an update now that some time has passed!

First off, hubby has now found work with a good firm. Money still not good but the work is consistent so he is going to stick with it as long as they want him and in between start to buy some kit and hopefully in 4-6 months he will go on his own once his confidence is up abit.

The a******e he worked for before screwed him over for $700 and as he is built very big "both ways", I have said to Marc to just let it go. There is no way we are going to get kicked out of the country for a shit like that. I am a great believer in karma and something will come back and bite his arse for revenge and hopefully it is soon.

My 4 year old is still finding things tough. I thought we had a break through a couple of weeks ago and he was behaving much better and being civil to me but as soon as he had to go back to Kindy after the holidays it started back up again. He has a speech problem and from what I can gather from him and another mum who told me that her son told her, that he is getting teased about it. I went and spoke to the teacher and in a very polite way told her to find out who it was and stop them or I will go to the principal and hope that this works. On Monday I dragged him into the car shouting and screaming and strapped him in, only for him to take off his seat belt while I was driving and start hitting me round the head and screaming that he wasn't going. I just turned round and went home but today I persevered and hauled him in there and left crying buckets along with him, it is breaking my heart.

Anyway, still determined and 100% sure it was the right move to come here. Hopefully in another month (thank you to everyone who pm'd me and the ones who were interested enough to want an update) things will have improved again and that will be a happy ending to the story.

Take care everyone

Nic
I agree with Issie, don't pay a thing to this person without seeking advice from these folk http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/

With regards to your son, check if your school have any kind of provision for speech therapy. Our school has a speech therapist visit if there is a need, the Kindy teacher usually recommends it. My eldest had to have quite a bit of speech therapy at Kindy age and it really does work well.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

Well, I am not even sure if I am going to post this as not even sure what to say to be honest so I will speak from the heart, and please, everyone this is just my opinion so nobody be offended.....

Got here as the above says on the 7th Jan and had a great trip with a stopover in Singapore which was wonderful. We were one of the mad ones that had never been to Australia before nor had any family or friends out here and it was a case of one day sitting at the computer and saying to the hubby "let's just get out of this place" ie. England and hubby asking where to and I said Australia and that was it. It snowballed from there......

The day we arrived we were met at the airport by Ohippychick and her girls and was surrounded by flies!!!! Was not prepared for that at all and after picking up the hire car and arriving at our rental in Mandurah which was lovely I have to say, that the first thing I did was ask hubby for a cigarette (I had stopped 12 months before) and there it started this feeling of "holy crap what have we done" nothing started it off I really have no idea what happened and the feeling hasn't really left me!

We struggled to find a rental and when we did find one the agent called us up on the day we were supposed to move at 4.40pm and told us we could not move in for 7/10 days as the previous tenant had left his car in the garage and under Health & Safety laws (which do not exist anyway) we could not live in the property. I was gobsmacked, as of the Sunday morning we had nowhere to live and with 3 kids in tow I really felt like I had let them down. Off we went to a caravan site which was a joke, as this caravan did not even have wheels along with trying to fit 5 people, 10 suitcases and bits & bobs we had started to buy for the rental it was a tight squeeze and there we stayed for 10 nights until I could find another rental (told the other rental agency to take a flying jump, speak about cutting off your nose to spite your face, but it was the principal of the thing ) Anyway, someone was looking down on us from above as on the Monday we found a really nice rental with a pool in Halls Head and we could move in the following week so that was that.

Now, I think this may be where I am getting a bit down, as hubby is a brickie. We came out on the 134 permanent visa sponsored by WA Govt as shortage of brickies. Ohippychick had already warned us that work was a bit slow but hubby was not prepared for their being no work at all. Hubby phoned about 30 companies/people and they all said the same that work was a bit dry at the moment and there really wasn't much going on but that it would pick up (never said when) and so eventually through a friend of a friend hubby got a start with a brickie that took pity on him and hubby worked with him for 3 weeks to learn the ropes so to speak.

On Monday he was told that they had now run out of work and they had to let him go on Friday! On Thursday we looked through all the papers and on the internet and found 1 job for a brickie. Hubby phoned and got a start for Friday just gone, but when he came home he was so despondent. Money was crap and there was about 8 brickies there and two foremen who barked orders, he got a 15 minute break for lunch after he had started at 7.00am and finished at 4.30pm and the foremen said he would phone him on Tuesday if there was a job on Wednesday (no idea what happened to Monday!).

Since we have been here we have had two pay cheques! We unfortunately, were one of those that did not come with much money so every penny counts but the other 8 brickies on this job said that even though the wages were crap (half of what he wold earn in the UK) and that they treated you like shite that basically you had to put up with it as there was not any work going about.

Hubby is now thinking that maybe he should be a brickies labourer and try and get a foot in the door that way or to come home to the UK for 3 months and earn a bit of money again and come back out, not sure what to do but I totally understand that when you have 20 years experience and have a good reputation back home that it is pretty disheartening to go back to being a labourer, but money is money.

Two out of the three kids are loving it but my 4 year old HATES kindy and every day is asking if he can go back to live in the UK to live with his granny & granpa and this is getting me down too. I know in time he will probably settle but boy is it wearing, him going on and on at me all the time. He even told me tonight that it is all my fault as I made him come here!

We have made plenty of friends, Ohippychick has been great but the people that have been here before you already have made their lives, quite rightly, and can't drop everything just because I am unhappy but I am at my wits end. I am not at the stage of coming home and I was, and still am determined to give this 100% but with Marc not getting a start of work and everybody he speaks too saying that there is just a slow down in building houses and too many brickies out here I just can't see a light at the end of the tunnel and please believe me when I say I am usually a positive person and always try to look on the bright side of life so I am probably moaning away to all you people out there hoping that if I put it all down I will feel better as when I phone the UK or people phone here I don't want to tell them how I am feeling just incase my mum says just come home then as we all really want this to work.

Anyway, I will go now as I know this sounds like a negative post but I just needed to get this all out.

Good luck to everyone out there who are waiting to live the dream and to the ones who are already here living it.

Nic
Hi there, just stumbled upon your post as I had typed 'unhappy' in the search column! Blimey you could be me! I am feeling like you right now. We have only been here 4 weeks and like you I keep wondering if we have done the right thing or not. We have been here 5 times on holiday so I felt that I knew the place reasonably well enough and when my daughter migrated here last year I knew I had to be in the same country as her at least! We have got skilled migration visa 136 which gives us PR on my OH skill - overhead linesman. Apparently they are crying out for his skill - yeah right! After applying for about 50 jobs we finally got one company that would agree to put him through for his electrical licence so we jumped at it - unfortunately its in Canberra, was the last place we had wanted but never mind we thought. Anyhow to cut a very long story short, the job is nowhere near being sorted yet, his boss is being brilliant in trying to sort this out but he is getting as frustrated as I was in the UK trying to fight out way through all this - even 18 years experience in uk, TRA granted as an overhead linesman and skilled migration visa - apparently not enough to be a linesman here - well not yet anyway. He is not even allowed on site with the linesmen yet so he is putting up lights - you can well imagine how he is feeling and I just feel gutted for him getting more and more down all because I had this dream. I havent seen him smile in 4 weeks, he is up at the crack of dawn, cant sleep and having nose bleeds - god I feel terrible just looking at him. I am like you, I am the most positive, outgoing person usually and I am now just wondering if this has been the biggest mistake ever - wont even mention how much we have spent getting here - brought our two dogs too! Hope things get better for both of us soon honey - cant get much worse can they - god I shouldn't have said that should I !!!
Chin up and keep me posted, thinking about you x
Old May 14th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh blimey, we are coming over to oz hopefully before xmas and my hubbie is an overhead linesman, so didnt want to hear they have trouble getting jobs over there, we were under the same impression as you that they are screaming out for overhead linesman
Old May 14th 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

Oh blimey, we are coming over to oz hopefully before xmas and my hubbie is an overhead linesman, so didnt want to hear they have trouble getting jobs over there, we were under the same impression as you that they are screaming out for overhead linesman
A lot of it boils down to his training and qualifications gained in the uk, so just make sure that they recognise it here before you leave. We really thought we were home and dry once we had been granted the TRA as an electrical overhead linesman and then the skilled migration visa but we're not at all so just be careful. Yes they are screaming out for linesmen but because of all the transferring of qualifications etc they struggle not just from the uk but from other countries as well. Let me know how you get on. Good luck
Old May 15th 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok, will do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.