Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 months & 2 weeks in Perth..... but!

2 months & 2 weeks in Perth..... but!

Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

tscriven is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2 months & 2 weeks in Perth..... but!

Originally Posted by Nic938
Well, I am not even sure if I am going to post this as not even sure what to say to be honest so I will speak from the heart, and please, everyone this is just my opinion so nobody be offended.....

Got here as the above says on the 7th Jan and had a great trip with a stopover in Singapore which was wonderful. We were one of the mad ones that had never been to Australia before nor had any family or friends out here and it was a case of one day sitting at the computer and saying to the hubby "let's just get out of this place" ie. England and hubby asking where to and I said Australia and that was it. It snowballed from there......

The day we arrived we were met at the airport by Ohippychick and her girls and was surrounded by flies!!!! Was not prepared for that at all and after picking up the hire car and arriving at our rental in Mandurah which was lovely I have to say, that the first thing I did was ask hubby for a cigarette (I had stopped 12 months before) and there it started this feeling of "holy crap what have we done" nothing started it off I really have no idea what happened and the feeling hasn't really left me!

We struggled to find a rental and when we did find one the agent called us up on the day we were supposed to move at 4.40pm and told us we could not move in for 7/10 days as the previous tenant had left his car in the garage and under Health & Safety laws (which do not exist anyway) we could not live in the property. I was gobsmacked, as of the Sunday morning we had nowhere to live and with 3 kids in tow I really felt like I had let them down. Off we went to a caravan site which was a joke, as this caravan did not even have wheels along with trying to fit 5 people, 10 suitcases and bits & bobs we had started to buy for the rental it was a tight squeeze and there we stayed for 10 nights until I could find another rental (told the other rental agency to take a flying jump, speak about cutting off your nose to spite your face, but it was the principal of the thing ) Anyway, someone was looking down on us from above as on the Monday we found a really nice rental with a pool in Halls Head and we could move in the following week so that was that.

Now, I think this may be where I am getting a bit down, as hubby is a brickie. We came out on the 134 permanent visa sponsored by WA Govt as shortage of brickies. Ohippychick had already warned us that work was a bit slow but hubby was not prepared for their being no work at all. Hubby phoned about 30 companies/people and they all said the same that work was a bit dry at the moment and there really wasn't much going on but that it would pick up (never said when) and so eventually through a friend of a friend hubby got a start with a brickie that took pity on him and hubby worked with him for 3 weeks to learn the ropes so to speak.

On Monday he was told that they had now run out of work and they had to let him go on Friday! On Thursday we looked through all the papers and on the internet and found 1 job for a brickie. Hubby phoned and got a start for Friday just gone, but when he came home he was so despondent. Money was crap and there was about 8 brickies there and two foremen who barked orders, he got a 15 minute break for lunch after he had started at 7.00am and finished at 4.30pm and the foremen said he would phone him on Tuesday if there was a job on Wednesday (no idea what happened to Monday!).

Since we have been here we have had two pay cheques! We unfortunately, were one of those that did not come with much money so every penny counts but the other 8 brickies on this job said that even though the wages were crap (half of what he wold earn in the UK) and that they treated you like shite that basically you had to put up with it as there was not any work going about.

Hubby is now thinking that maybe he should be a brickies labourer and try and get a foot in the door that way or to come home to the UK for 3 months and earn a bit of money again and come back out, not sure what to do but I totally understand that when you have 20 years experience and have a good reputation back home that it is pretty disheartening to go back to being a labourer, but money is money.

Two out of the three kids are loving it but my 4 year old HATES kindy and every day is asking if he can go back to live in the UK to live with his granny & granpa and this is getting me down too. I know in time he will probably settle but boy is it wearing, him going on and on at me all the time. He even told me tonight that it is all my fault as I made him come here!

We have made plenty of friends, Ohippychick has been great but the people that have been here before you already have made their lives, quite rightly, and can't drop everything just because I am unhappy but I am at my wits end. I am not at the stage of coming home and I was, and still am determined to give this 100% but with Marc not getting a start of work and everybody he speaks too saying that there is just a slow down in building houses and too many brickies out here I just can't see a light at the end of the tunnel and please believe me when I say I am usually a positive person and always try to look on the bright side of life so I am probably moaning away to all you people out there hoping that if I put it all down I will feel better as when I phone the UK or people phone here I don't want to tell them how I am feeling just incase my mum says just come home then as we all really want this to work.

Anyway, I will go now as I know this sounds like a negative post but I just needed to get this all out.

Good luck to everyone out there who are waiting to live the dream and to the ones who are already here living it.

Nic
Thanks for your honest account. Hope things are now improving for you all and you are starting to enjoy your new life. I suppose all new starts are tough especially where money is involved. We are hoping to move out sometime this year, I just hope that we will be able to find suitable employment!
Good Luck!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aston man
nic,i must admit,your story worries me.
like you i have a family and to be honest im worried what im going to do after this contract has finnished,i have been amazingly lucky.
i could easily be having it as bad like yourselves,i wish i could help...
there are loads of tower crains in perth but none of the jobs have bricklayers on them..
to be honest,this town not being much bigger than birmingham,in my view ,just cannot sustain the amount of brickies flooding into it,,,instaed of brickwork they use those bleedin concrete panels..its not like back there where you could be on a hospitol for a year or so and have a little security..

i know this does not help you but it makes me really angry that people are coming over here on a false promise,,

someone should ring one of the nationals back there and tell them whats going on...

its one big piss take,,
i hope things turn round for you..

ast

Allelujah! Someone in the know saying it as it is.

My husband is also a tradie but not a brickie and every day on site he sees brickie after brickie asking for the supervisor and wanting to know if there is any work. The answer is always NO. They are invariably British and just off the plane. It seems that once the brickie gang have got the contract, they stay some hell or high water, prepared to work for low rates, worried where the next job is coming from.

On Tuesday I said goodbye to a friend (a brickies wife) who went back to the UK after months of her husband scratching around for work whilst trying to support 3 kids. Another brickie friend is leaving to go home in 6 weeks time
after finding it hard to get work.

I get infuriated at an advert currently running saying WA is short of brickies and offering college courses. There won't be any work at the end of it and quite frankly it's about time people knew the score here. I am fed up and very sad at meeting brickies and their families whose dreams have turned to dust because of lack of work.

Something will have to give soon but god knows what.

To the OP, I truly hope things start to look up for you. Good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

jokersmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I am not even sure if I am going to post this as not even sure what to say to be honest so I will speak from the heart, and please, everyone this is just my opinion so nobody be offended.....

Got here as the above says on the 7th Jan and had a great trip with a stopover in Singapore which was wonderful. We were one of the mad ones that had never been to Australia before nor had any family or friends out here and it was a case of one day sitting at the computer and saying to the hubby "let's just get out of this place" ie. England and hubby asking where to and I said Australia and that was it. It snowballed from there......

The day we arrived we were met at the airport by Ohippychick and her girls and was surrounded by flies!!!! Was not prepared for that at all and after picking up the hire car and arriving at our rental in Mandurah which was lovely I have to say, that the first thing I did was ask hubby for a cigarette (I had stopped 12 months before) and there it started this feeling of "holy crap what have we done" nothing started it off I really have no idea what happened and the feeling hasn't really left me!

We struggled to find a rental and when we did find one the agent called us up on the day we were supposed to move at 4.40pm and told us we could not move in for 7/10 days as the previous tenant had left his car in the garage and under Health & Safety laws (which do not exist anyway) we could not live in the property. I was gobsmacked, as of the Sunday morning we had nowhere to live and with 3 kids in tow I really felt like I had let them down. Off we went to a caravan site which was a joke, as this caravan did not even have wheels along with trying to fit 5 people, 10 suitcases and bits & bobs we had started to buy for the rental it was a tight squeeze and there we stayed for 10 nights until I could find another rental (told the other rental agency to take a flying jump, speak about cutting off your nose to spite your face, but it was the principal of the thing ) Anyway, someone was looking down on us from above as on the Monday we found a really nice rental with a pool in Halls Head and we could move in the following week so that was that.

Now, I think this may be where I am getting a bit down, as hubby is a brickie. We came out on the 134 permanent visa sponsored by WA Govt as shortage of brickies. Ohippychick had already warned us that work was a bit slow but hubby was not prepared for their being no work at all. Hubby phoned about 30 companies/people and they all said the same that work was a bit dry at the moment and there really wasn't much going on but that it would pick up (never said when) and so eventually through a friend of a friend hubby got a start with a brickie that took pity on him and hubby worked with him for 3 weeks to learn the ropes so to speak.

On Monday he was told that they had now run out of work and they had to let him go on Friday! On Thursday we looked through all the papers and on the internet and found 1 job for a brickie. Hubby phoned and got a start for Friday just gone, but when he came home he was so despondent. Money was crap and there was about 8 brickies there and two foremen who barked orders, he got a 15 minute break for lunch after he had started at 7.00am and finished at 4.30pm and the foremen said he would phone him on Tuesday if there was a job on Wednesday (no idea what happened to Monday!).

Since we have been here we have had two pay cheques! We unfortunately, were one of those that did not come with much money so every penny counts but the other 8 brickies on this job said that even though the wages were crap (half of what he wold earn in the UK) and that they treated you like shite that basically you had to put up with it as there was not any work going about.

Hubby is now thinking that maybe he should be a brickies labourer and try and get a foot in the door that way or to come home to the UK for 3 months and earn a bit of money again and come back out, not sure what to do but I totally understand that when you have 20 years experience and have a good reputation back home that it is pretty disheartening to go back to being a labourer, but money is money.

Two out of the three kids are loving it but my 4 year old HATES kindy and every day is asking if he can go back to live in the UK to live with his granny & granpa and this is getting me down too. I know in time he will probably settle but boy is it wearing, him going on and on at me all the time. He even told me tonight that it is all my fault as I made him come here!

We have made plenty of friends, Ohippychick has been great but the people that have been here before you already have made their lives, quite rightly, and can't drop everything just because I am unhappy but I am at my wits end. I am not at the stage of coming home and I was, and still am determined to give this 100% but with Marc not getting a start of work and everybody he speaks too saying that there is just a slow down in building houses and too many brickies out here I just can't see a light at the end of the tunnel and please believe me when I say I am usually a positive person and always try to look on the bright side of life so I am probably moaning away to all you people out there hoping that if I put it all down I will feel better as when I phone the UK or people phone here I don't want to tell them how I am feeling just incase my mum says just come home then as we all really want this to work.

Anyway, I will go now as I know this sounds like a negative post but I just needed to get this all out.

Good luck to everyone out there who are waiting to live the dream and to the ones who are already here living it.

Nic
Hi nic hope you get to read this. If you should get to the stage where you think you want to come home, think of all the reasons you wanted to move there in the first place. the growing yob culture, the lack of proper education for you children, the outdoor life, the weather! We're alomost there and i know it's going to be harder than i think but trust me you don't want to come back. You're doing great, sticking at it, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - keep going nic we're all rooting for you
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Nic
Your post is not negative, its whats happened to you, reality is not negative.

Posting a realistic update on someting like the slowing trade work is great, if people know the situation they can arrive more prepared for it. It does not mean australias not going to work out for you, who knows you might change jobs and make a fortune in another job, but your post is far more helpful than the brickies earn $1000 a day type threads, they might be popular but boy are they crap

Good one and with your reality and honesty you will probably make the right decision whatever that is
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

Hi, What about this one on seek.com.au

http://seek.com.au/users/apply/index...JobID=12067712

Sorry it may be no ggod, but i just thought i would post.

Good luck to you
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Hi Aston Man and everyone else who posted

Thanks very much for posting and Aston Man we spoke about this on the phone a few weeks ago, I do think it is right to post on here how hard it may be for some brickies coming over here to find work because the days of earning $1.20 a brick have truly gone and well, basically laying any brick is a bonus.

Anyway, Marc phoned the subbie last night (the one who barked orders and was deciding over the weekend if Marc was good enough for his gang) and he said he could start today which he did. Could tell straight away when he came home that it was obviously as bad today as it was on Friday! I do want to stress that unlike myself, my hubby i,s or should I say was, such a laid back person, his motto is "shit happens but get yourself out of it and have a happy life" so for him to be like he is is so sad. But, as he says, money is money no matter how little you are earning and we have no debts (yet) and with what he is earning we will scrape by and in the meantime be happy that we are living the dream so to speak We can keep looking for another job in the meantime and you never know, this guy might calm down a little in time!

To the OP who sent the "seek" advert, I am sorry it must be gone as it wouldn't let me put in the Job ID and I couldn't find it but thanks very much anyway.

Thanks to everyone who has posted and to Aston Man, I really hope it works out for you too. Anybody else out there who is finding things are not what they seem, hang on in there a bit longer, I don't think it is much better in the UK by what I can gather by the news but I could be wrong.

Nic x
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:31 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

hi nic

thank you for taking the time to write an honest and what seems a realistic view of what life can be like down under.
I have recently been thinking about a lot of things just like what you have highlighted in your post, especially getting work and making friends. my biggest fear is not having anyone to talk to, I mean I will always have chris to speak to, but sometimes you just want that girlfriend kind of chat
hang in there nic
best of luck
bec
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:24 am
Just Joined

vickylea will become famous soon enough

Hi there Nic,
Hope things get better for you soon. How nice it is as well to read a honest account of what can happen when you arrive Down Under, it gives us a lot of food for thought. I have sent you some Karma.
Take care Vicky x
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about the work situation but can you not change the kindy your son goes to? If he's not happy, it's not because of missing UK, he's too young for that, he picking up your and your husbands vibes and being smart and putting 2 and 2 together. Find him another kindy and see how he goes.

Good luck with it all oh and no, you're not being negative, you're posting honestly and having a tough time. I hope you get through this bit and move on to happier times.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Thank you everybody for your kind words and I am sure this is only a small hiccup in a big picture. We are determined to make this work and as for the 4 year old I must say this holiday weekend he has only mentioned the Uk once. What a result and maybe all it takes is time and I just expected too much from Australia with jobs right down to my 4 year old with leaving the UK. In 4 months time I am really really positive that I can write a post with the heading "6 months in Perth and loving it!.

Thanks again

Nic x
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about

What I can't understand is why are the Oz Government still asking for brickies when there clearly isn't enough work to go round.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Thank you everybody for your kind words and I am sure this is only a small hiccup in a big picture. We are determined to make this work and as for the 4 year old I must say this holiday weekend he has only mentioned the Uk once. What a result and maybe all it takes is time and I just expected too much from Australia with jobs right down to my 4 year old with leaving the UK. In 4 months time I am really really positive that I can write a post with the heading "6 months in Perth and loving it!.

Thanks again

Nic x
Hi Nic, have pmd you,please don't feel you have put negatives postings on here, you have been honest and sometimes i think we all need to hear this.Australia is fantastic but it isn't somewhere to move to with rose tinted glasses as can be seen from the replies to your post. Your attitude is fantastic and i'm sure you will come through, try not to worry too much about your 4 yr old, everything is so strange to them and if a 4 yr old can't kick out at their parents who can they have a go at? hang in ther girl and i'm sure it will be '6 months and loving it'.Don't give up like we did, it costs so much to have to come back again.....
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:40 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

It's takes time to find your feet (jobwise and everything else) when you arrive in Oz, regardless of experience. It took me nearly 4 months to find a job. Even though I'm not a brickie, I know talk of skills shortages counts for nothing when you're calling up people and they don't want to know.

Hopefully in the future you'll look back on this as the hardest part. Things do come together eventually, it's still early days.

Good luck.

Big.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aston man
nic,i must admit,your story worries me.
like you i have a family and to be honest im worried what im going to do after this contract has finnished,i have been amazingly lucky.
i could easily be having it as bad like yourselves,i wish i could help...
there are loads of tower crains in perth but none of the jobs have bricklayers on them..
to be honest,this town not being much bigger than birmingham,in my view ,just cannot sustain the amount of brickies flooding into it,,,instaed of brickwork they use those bleedin concrete panels..its not like back there where you could be on a hospitol for a year or so and have a little security..

i know this does not help you but it makes me really angry that people are coming over here on a false promise,,

someone should ring one of the nationals back there and tell them whats going on...

its one big piss take,,

i hope things turn round for you..

ast
Really sorry things have not been going too well for you!!! Hopefully they will only get better!!!
Good luck!xx
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:43 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Such a shame this has happened.
I sometimes think the skills lists are very tempting, they really do give the impression that all these trades require workers now, but the reality is quite the opposite.
There is work out there but a lot of the time you need to know somebody in the same trade to help you get a foot in the door. As you found work can also be infrequent what the point of working for that person/company really does seem pointless, Steve had this issue when we first arrived, he was roofing, out of 14 weeks I think he did 9 full weeks, he chucked the roofing idea and he went to work in a shipping company which although lower paid was frequent so made up for all the crap from the roofing company, we then bought a business which I am 110% sure that to get on in Australia you really need to consider doing, we have sold it since but only because in our master plan it had to go. Steve's currently working in a timber hardware store, low wages but regular hours no crap and a means to an end.
Back into our own business again soon and then the skys the limit, so have a look at doing something self employed even out your trade field, retail shop etc, making wooden cubby houses, the lists are endless, you could probably make a cracking business doing cat scratching posts for local pet shops. Believe me when you have been here a while an idea will pop into your head and it will be a cracker so don't dispair, have a look around and see whats lacking, it may make millions you never know!
Jenny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.