British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   2.5 months in Melbourne: single perspective (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/2-5-months-melbourne-single-perspective-760407/)

rld1177 Jun 5th 2012 2:05 am

Re: 2.5 months in Melbourne: single perspective

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10097270)
Interesting read.

I share your observations on a few things, particularly the work attitude. :D I am also in financial services in the big corporations and a very large proportion of people I work with would not survive in a London financial services environment, they would be booted out of the door so quick their feet would not touch the ground.

In London financial services, most people are career orientated or they would not be there in the first place. Just is not the case here in Sydney, people want a job. I have two people in my team that earn over $150k and if you ask them to stay beyond 5pm to meet a deadline the reaction is akin to if I had asked them to hand over their first born.

Had a couple questions for you Bermuda but see you dont take private messages - can you drop me one if you dont mind just wanted to ask a couple things on this.

mashup Jun 5th 2012 6:40 am

Couldn't agree more regarding the sarcastic humour. As a scottish person it's all I have and without sounding conceited I am brilliant at it. They don't know what they are missing.

ozzieeagle Jun 7th 2012 5:57 am

Originally Posted by mashup (Post 10100519)
Couldn't agree more regarding the sarcastic humour. As a scottish person it's all I have and without sounding conceited I am brilliant at it. They don't know what they are missing.

I still have problems with this after 30 years. My advice is only try it with people you know well. They will catch on, they do get it, it's just one of the cultural differences here.

Just to illistrate, I work with a close team on night sorting at the Post Office, we can say anything to each other as the most recent employee with us has been there for 8 years. We get people from other areas within post coming in and interacting with us quite regularly. I said to one of the regular visitors... "You know what they call people that where the same clothes every day..... "A repeat offender".... Even though we all wear the same uniform. She got that upset she reported me to management. My defence was my work colleagues, thank gawd. I really thought I knew her well enough to say this to her.

Maybe she thought I meant she never changed her uniform or something, but it was obvious to everyone else what I meant.

Little things like that can get you into some delicate situatons that you have to talk your way out of. For some reason Aussies generally are more tuned into the insult side of things rather than the humour.... Although like I said once they know you they tend to get it.

rld1177 Jun 7th 2012 6:07 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 10104997)
Little things like that can get you into some delicate situatons that you have to talk your way out of. For some reason Aussies generally are more tuned into the insult side of things rather than the humour.... Although like I said once they know you they tend to get it.

Agreed, although to be fair it isn't just Aussies - I've spent a fair amount of time in South America and various Latin cultures and sarcastic / wise crack humor just doesn't go down well there either. With the women in particular. Better to just adapt your style to the country you are in I suppose.

Scottoir Jun 7th 2012 11:29 am

humour: can one learn how to be silly?

kiwis seem pretty good at silliness?

i've personally found that travelled people seem to grasp the whole silliness and farce thing significantly more than the 'stay at home brand'...the world over... why is that?

what causes this humour tumour?

is it 'cos some people tend to take themselves far too bloody seriously..

is it tied up in this whole defensive insinct alpha thing..unhealthy competition... fear

underlying insecurities.. fear

id love to hear some theories on this??? it is an extremely seriously silly topic

if there was one, id for one like do a masters in silliness.. Spike/Peter Cook r.i.p.

Scottoir MSily:nod:

abi31 Jun 7th 2012 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 10104997)

Just to illistrate, I work with a close team on night sorting at the Post Office, we can say anything to each other as the most recent employee with us has been there for 8 years. We get people from other areas within post coming in and interacting with us quite regularly. I said to one of the regular visitors... "You know what they call people that where the same clothes every day..... "A repeat offender".... Even though we all wear the same uniform. She got that upset she reported me to management. My defence was my work colleagues, thank gawd. I really thought I knew her well enough to say this to her.

Sweetie, that's not sarcasm that's a terrible joke worthy of Stephen Fry when he's ad-libbing on QI - maybe that's why she reported you ;)

I think most countries have their own humour - I've read some of the threads on the Canadian page here and they complain a lot about the childish 'fart-joke' humour prevalent there and the fact that they don't 'get' irony and sarcasm.

I have high hopes, some of my favourite comedy is Aussie - Chris Lilley, Tim Minchin, Kath and Kim. We'll see, but there are plenty of English people who don't 'get it' too so it's just finding people who gel with your personality and pretending to be something you're not with the rest.

Scottoir Jun 11th 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by abi31 (Post 10106677)
Sweetie, that's not sarcasm that's a terrible joke worthy of Stephen Fry when he's ad-libbing on QI - maybe that's why she reported you ;)

I think most countries have their own humour - I've read some of the threads on the Canadian page here and they complain a lot about the childish 'fart-joke' humour prevalent there and the fact that they don't 'get' irony and sarcasm.

I have high hopes, some of my favourite comedy is Aussie - Chris Lilley, Tim Minchin, Kath and Kim. We'll see, but there are plenty of English people who don't 'get it' too so it's just finding people who gel with your personality and pretending to be something you're not with the rest.

i agree chris lilley is an absolute winner... best thing thats happened to aussie humour :eek:rofl::rofl:

Savitar Jul 10th 2012 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by rld1177 (Post 10095943)
Food: I would not let this scare you off Australia, as some of the other threads would. The key is adjusting what you eat. I know I need fruits and veg so I just buy what is on sale: Kiwis today? Fine I'll get them. Bananas actually on sale (ok still waiting for that one) - Ill buy them. 8 dollars for tomatos? Fine I will have a salad with carrots and onions and other things instead. Same goods for meats - the grocery sometimes has good deals / sales so be ready for chicken today and beef tomorrow, and a t-bone 50% off one day because it expires tomorrow. Adapt. Get ready also for bread to cost 4$ one day and be on sale the next as a 2 for 1 for 4$. Prices move so just adjust.

Have you tried the Victoria Market (top end of the city). Has the best quality produce in melbourne and normally far cheaper for both veggies and meat / fish. Just a thought....

Sol2Oz Sep 5th 2012 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by rld1177 (Post 10095943)
I've now hit about 2.5 months in Melbourne. Single, 37 years old, took a job that was the same as what I had made in London (100K gbp now 160K here, didn't do the 2.2 conversion others talk about).

I think I stopped reading after this - can you tell me what field you're in that you're making so much money? I'd love to have a piece of that pie! :thumbsup:

Seriously, I understand what you mean by the sarcasm. I had an ex friend from Adelaide who used to "take the piss" out of me, but when I reacted with sarcasm, she would get very upset. :blink: But I am a native NY'er, and sarcasm is pretty much part of our culture. In retrospect, I found it unfair that taking the piss was okay, but not my sarcasm. But oh well, what can we do?