Reload this Page >

2 1/2 years and I still don't know

2 1/2 years and I still don't know

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 12:24 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 1/2 years and I still don't know

Hi all

We arrived new years eve 2007, and obviously it was all new and a big adventure, the first year was spent with a company that really didn't float my boat, so I moved and got sponsored by my present company.

The first year with them was manic, plenty of work on and loads of time away from home, loved every minute of my work life, and made the absolute most of my home life.

The last 6 months has slowed down somewhat, and me being me, I like to work my bollox off, so am having to come to terms with that. I've always had extremely high standards in my work and this has been recognized industry wide both here and in the UK, but I'm starting to slip a bit because mediocre standards to me, are sky high standards here. I found myself becoming a bit depressed by other peoples lack of commitment to doing the best job possible, in favour of 'that'll do'. I've had to come to terms with this for my own sanity, I've shouted from the roof tops about problems I see arising, and have been proven correct 99% of the time, still my suggestions go in the too hard basket. In short I've given up trying to do any more than is expected, and I feel happier for it (if just a little disappointed in myself)

Anyway, the whole purpose of us coming to Oz, was for the kids, to get them citizenship and open up a new world to them should they wish to make use of it. We're now permanent residents, and after the 2 1/2 years it took of keeping my nose clean and head down to achieve it, I somehow feel underwhelmed. It's kind of like I've got nothing to work towards now if you get my drift, I know I have, but currently I can't focus on it.

When we eventually decide to go for citizenship, doubtless I will feel the same, and am a little worried that I may feel like the job is done, and it's time to go home. This is my home, very much so, but I'm a wherever I lay my hat kind of guy, so I'm not sure whether I actually do love it here, or I've just convinced myself of it to make things easier. We've seen and done things here that we would never have done in the UK, and we will continue to do so, but I wonder what my inspiration will be after citizenship.

Perhaps I'm guilty of over analyzing things and reading between the lines between the lines, but I thought I'd share my thoughts.

On the positive side, I feel alot more 'sod it lets just do it' as far as most things are concerned now, I just need to get back my attitude to fitness (become a bit of a bloater lately) and I reckon a healthier me will improve my outlook. We've been to see more gigs here than we ever wanted to in the UK, Tom Jones, Keane, Lady GaGa, Phonics, Paul Wellar and Simply Red to come, which I just love doing.

I could watch the wildlife here for days, it's always been a great interest of mine, and I'm even considering volunteering at the local wildlife park to get involved in conservation.

I think maybe the sale of our UK place, and purchase of an Aussie one may also improve things from my perspective, renting really isn't for me, I need a castle to be king of if you get my drift.

This probably sounds pretty negative, but it's hopefully not as bad as it sounds, I love my life here, and it's been good for all of us, we've got some wonderful friends, some wonderful family here and I'm probably just a little homesick.

Hope I've not bored anyone to death, and I hope this makes sense

Take it easy

Steven Glish
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: 2 1/2 years and I still don't know

Just got the word from School that my daughter is off to Japan for 3 weeks, it's pricy but the whole reason we came here was to broaden their horizons, I think it's gonna be an eye opener for her and I think she'll come back with a different out look

Also, talk about a negative turned positive overnight, the pre-school my wife works at is being sold, everyone worried about their jobs, and a couple unfortunately were right to be, and up til Tuesday my wife was one of them. The new owner has since come in, watched them working with the kids, and next day offered her a traineeship. It's slightly less money, and a step down in responsibility, but at the end of it she'll be fully qualified to Australian standards and able to work where she likes, give it a year or so when being qualified becomes law and she'll be very sought after.

The boy is getting involved with the big band in Wollongong, playing bass guitar, and his football is going as strong as ever.

I'm a very proud Dad and Husband at this point in time, and on the work front my boss sat me down yesterday and told me how much he appreciates my efforts, so it looks like my mood is on the up turn for now.

Party time in Sydney tomorrow, and I'll be a happy drunk
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stevenglish
Hi all

We arrived new years eve 2007, and obviously it was all new and a big adventure, the first year was spent with a company that really didn't float my boat, so I moved and got sponsored by my present company.

The first year with them was manic, plenty of work on and loads of time away from home, loved every minute of my work life, and made the absolute most of my home life.

The last 6 months has slowed down somewhat, and me being me, I like to work my bollox off, so am having to come to terms with that. I've always had extremely high standards in my work and this has been recognized industry wide both here and in the UK, but I'm starting to slip a bit because mediocre standards to me, are sky high standards here. I found myself becoming a bit depressed by other peoples lack of commitment to doing the best job possible, in favour of 'that'll do'. I've had to come to terms with this for my own sanity, I've shouted from the roof tops about problems I see arising, and have been proven correct 99% of the time, still my suggestions go in the too hard basket. In short I've given up trying to do any more than is expected, and I feel happier for it (if just a little disappointed in myself)

Anyway, the whole purpose of us coming to Oz, was for the kids, to get them citizenship and open up a new world to them should they wish to make use of it. We're now permanent residents, and after the 2 1/2 years it took of keeping my nose clean and head down to achieve it, I somehow feel underwhelmed. It's kind of like I've got nothing to work towards now if you get my drift, I know I have, but currently I can't focus on it.

When we eventually decide to go for citizenship, doubtless I will feel the same, and am a little worried that I may feel like the job is done, and it's time to go home. This is my home, very much so, but I'm a wherever I lay my hat kind of guy, so I'm not sure whether I actually do love it here, or I've just convinced myself of it to make things easier. We've seen and done things here that we would never have done in the UK, and we will continue to do so, but I wonder what my inspiration will be after citizenship.

Perhaps I'm guilty of over analyzing things and reading between the lines between the lines, but I thought I'd share my thoughts.

On the positive side, I feel alot more 'sod it lets just do it' as far as most things are concerned now, I just need to get back my attitude to fitness (become a bit of a bloater lately) and I reckon a healthier me will improve my outlook. We've been to see more gigs here than we ever wanted to in the UK, Tom Jones, Keane, Lady GaGa, Phonics, Paul Wellar and Simply Red to come, which I just love doing.

I could watch the wildlife here for days, it's always been a great interest of mine, and I'm even considering volunteering at the local wildlife park to get involved in conservation.

I think maybe the sale of our UK place, and purchase of an Aussie one may also improve things from my perspective, renting really isn't for me, I need a castle to be king of if you get my drift.

This probably sounds pretty negative, but it's hopefully not as bad as it sounds, I love my life here, and it's been good for all of us, we've got some wonderful friends, some wonderful family here and I'm probably just a little homesick.

Hope I've not bored anyone to death, and I hope this makes sense

Take it easy

Steven Glish
Wow, that so rings a chord. Life should be about passion, and as much as I love Oz I felt my passion just ... sliding away. Living in Oz 20 yrs ago was a far cry to comming back 3 yrs ago - it was a different place (and I hope will be again).
My mate and I talk about baby steps. If the circumstances are ok financially and the kids are happy then take a small step to do something for yourself. It doesnt have to shake the earth but getting off your bum will help (trust me - I have been forced to do so lately and I feel 10 time better). Getting involved in something you love will also help. The wildlife park sounds great. If you are near a beach I recommend the lifesaving. You could also get involved with any sporting activities of your kids if they are old enough/you have not already done so.
Deffo agree about the house - there's nothing like not renting.
Don't let Oz close you in - it's a big country with big possibilities, but sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees with everyday life.
Open yourself a little everyday to something new. Like I said, if you are fortunate enough with the big things (money and/or job, social life, housing) then you have the luxury to be more open. What's just one thing you would love to do? Make it a possiblilty - now, I'm not talking about leaving the country here
I have to agree about the gigs although mine were mainly the wiggles and escapades!!!
Well done on your other half's job. Good luck and chin up!
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
Wow, that so rings a chord. Life should be about passion, and as much as I love Oz I felt my passion just ... sliding away. Living in Oz 20 yrs ago was a far cry to comming back 3 yrs ago - it was a different place (and I hope will be again).
My mate and I talk about baby steps. If the circumstances are ok financially and the kids are happy then take a small step to do something for yourself. It doesnt have to shake the earth but getting off your bum will help (trust me - I have been forced to do so lately and I feel 10 time better). Getting involved in something you love will also help. The wildlife park sounds great. If you are near a beach I recommend the lifesaving. You could also get involved with any sporting activities of your kids if they are old enough/you have not already done so.
Deffo agree about the house - there's nothing like not renting.
Don't let Oz close you in - it's a big country with big possibilities, but sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees with everyday life.
Open yourself a little everyday to something new. Like I said, if you are fortunate enough with the big things (money and/or job, social life, housing) then you have the luxury to be more open. What's just one thing you would love to do? Make it a possiblilty - now, I'm not talking about leaving the country here
I have to agree about the gigs although mine were mainly the wiggles and escapades!!!
Well done on your other half's job. Good luck and chin up!
Thanks for a great reply, I think you're absolutely right, in fact I've just filled in the on line volunteer form, and have set the ball rolling. I think the passion is something that has been lacking of late and I want it back. Thank you again for what is to me, a very uplifting reply.

The Wiggles are doing a greatest hits tour BTW

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think your post was negative but rather realistic.
Sounds like you have some goals to aim for so go for it! Good luck with the volunteering, I hope you enjoy it & well done to your wife on being offered training.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Bigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really nice

Not a negative post. Writing stuff down makes you think that bit harder about what makes you tick, it gives you the opportunity to reorganize and put things in place that will move you forward. Sounds like your feeling better already. Cheers, H.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 7:44 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Hey Steve

I totally know where you are coming from we have ping ponged from the UK to Melbourne got the citizenship then went back to the UK for 2 years then came to Brisbane. Been here 2yrs in a week or so.

We have bought here and are settled but I went back to the UK for 10wks in Nov 09 and I could have happily stayed. I am a whereva I leave my hat kinda girl and I am happy here in Brisbane jeez I just bought I business so yes here is home but I still could settle back in the UK.

Seeing positives in both places doesnt make your post a negative one at all. I totallt relate to all you have said and am glad its not just me that feels like that. I wouldnt recommend ping ponging cos the only people it benefits are the shipping companies it isnt a cheap hobby to get into LOL

Have a good weekend

Jo
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:08 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post mate. Sanity is to do as they do in Rome. If it's worth staying then learn to fit in and keep your sanity or it becomes a killer
Old Jul 24th 2010, 12:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not negative, just realistic. Actually all in all sounds fairly positive apart from your work issue but at least the boss recognises your efforts. Get volunteering and enjoy life without over analysing.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Thanks guys, I was worried that I was on my own but seems afew people have felt the same way at least for a while. It's getting better already now I've sounded off, thanks again for taking the time to reply

Steve
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely post to read.Life isnt a bed of roses.Life goes up and down and how you tackle it makes the difference.Good luck with all you do.Enjoy the nice things in life and dont stress too much about the bad things.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:49 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice on Steve,upwards and onwards and all that
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve. As the company you curently work for will be aware of the job you do and all of the suggestions, is there another more senior role or another role with more responsibility you could take on?

You sound like the type of person who can't sit still (which is ok, there's a lot of us like that by the way!), however, it might be a good idea to do the vounteering you've mentioned above - you obviously have a passion for it - and therefore diverting/channelling the excess energy and enthusiam into not only something that is great for you but also wonderful for the people/animals you would greatly help with volunteering.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Steve,

If its any comfort it really is good to read a balanced view of life in Oz.

Even having lived there I have forgotten the rainy days, the bizzare ways some things are done, the language, the attitude of some etc.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Bezza
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Thanks guys, I've been offered a new job which is alot more local and hopefully will free up time for the voluntary work I want to do. These people offered me work a couple of years ago, and as soon as I got PR they were on the phone. Would seem they have been tracking my career, and appreciate my efforts far more than my current lot. Perhaps this is the one lol

In the UK I worked for 3 companies in 23 years, now it looks like it may be 3 in 2 1/2 years in Oz, I'm not bloody moving again

I shall keep plugging away, it's what life's all about, and at the end of the day I do kinda like mine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.