British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   1yr, 3months, 1 house, 1 kitten,2 puppies and 102 acres!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/1yr-3months-1-house-1-kitten-2-puppies-102-acres-459288/)

ew502 Jun 18th 2007 11:01 am

1yr, 3months, 1 house, 1 kitten,2 puppies and 102 acres!!

Hi all

Time has flown by, but at the same time it feels like we've been here for ages and ages. I did a 3 month update and thought it would be nice to do a 'we've been here a year'!!

We (just myself and OH) came over on a RSMS visa, moved to the mid north coast, NSW, the place Arkon dislikes a lot!! We had the most horrible of starts, my OH was not well just before we left, it got worse after we landed. I was to start work a week after landing, but OH was admitted to hospital and ended up staying in for 3 weeks. My boss was lovely, told me not to worry about work, family is first, come back when he's better, couldn't have asked for more. The Inlaws ended up coming out as were stressing so much it was making them ill!!!!

During this time, never did we think about going home, infact I was pleased he was sick here as the treatment and care was much better than what we would have had in UK. My homesickness came after he was home and inlaws gone home, took me about 4 months to settle. Same language completely different culture. Now I still miss things, but not family as they are so pleased we are happy, and thank goodness for skype!! The thing I miss the most is running in the woods and not having to worry about snakes, wild dogs and pigs. OH misses the pub, but wouldn't swap pub for surfing.

Just after Christmas we decided that this area is for us, so much for completing my contract and travelling!! We found a wreak of house, some land, bit of water and jumped in with no idea of what we are doing, but having great fun. still wake up and cant believe how lucky we are!! OH is renovating, like a pig in mud, house is now home and we couldn't be happier. Could I go back to the UK, probably, will always be a brit. Would I go home..not on your nellie!!!

Cheers

bethandneil Jun 18th 2007 2:18 pm

Re: 1yr, 3months, 1 house, 1 kitten,2 puppies and 102 acres!!

wow, congratulations,
nice to hear positive people making a go at things,

good luck with your house:ohmy:

Beth:)

Scrawni 2 Jun 18th 2007 4:09 pm

What a great update! Sorry to hear about the bad start you had but it sounds as though you are more than making up for it now :D

Mandy

herrchook Jun 18th 2007 5:24 pm

Awww, what a great update. Would love to see soem before and after photos of your house:thumbup:

want2bthere Jun 18th 2007 5:56 pm

so pleased things are going well for you all, and yep i'd love to see some photos to:thumbsup:

mindblower Jun 18th 2007 9:33 pm

[Cheers[/QUOTE]

Great news, glad its getting better for you.

Dave

Donna&Neil Jun 18th 2007 9:45 pm

Hi great to hear after the awful start. Best wishes to you both. :thumbsup:

Donna & Neil

TeresaG Jun 19th 2007 8:48 am

What a fab update. Really pleased that everything is going well for you.

ew502 Jun 23rd 2007 3:45 am

3 Attachment(s)
Hi

I have attached a few photo's I think. Much excitment today... the kitchen is coming in 2 weeks, the novelty of cooking on campstove and using microwave has long worn off!!

cranni Jun 23rd 2007 7:00 am

sounds absolutely wonderful, sooo jealous. If it was not for those things that you see out in the woods, i also would have gone for similar to you. All the very best and lots of happiness.
Denise

shandyw Jun 26th 2007 10:38 am

Congrats on the property. Wouldyou be able to say how much that sort of property costs because me and my partner are thinking of doing something similar? Will you be making a living farming?
All the best
Shandy

ew502 Jun 29th 2007 10:57 am

Originally Posted by shandyw (Post 4970521)
Congrats on the property. Wouldyou be able to say how much that sort of property costs because me and my partner are thinking of doing something similar? Will you be making a living farming?
All the best
Shandy

Hi

Have a look on www.realestate.com.au, rural propertys mid north coast.

shandyw Jul 1st 2007 8:23 am

Originally Posted by shandyw (Post 4970521)
All the best
Shandy

Thanks - that's very useful.

Andromada Jul 1st 2007 5:21 pm

just a question regarding the 102 acres, what sort of land is it and what are you aiming to do with it, for example are you aiming to farm it for a business or just land thats there to look nice and you dont have to do much to it.hope you dont think is a daft question, juts wander what people do with so much land.
Andrea

ew502 Jul 6th 2007 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Andromada (Post 4994537)
just a question regarding the 102 acres, what sort of land is it and what are you aiming to do with it, for example are you aiming to farm it for a business or just land thats there to look nice and you dont have to do much to it.hope you dont think is a daft question, juts wander what people do with so much land.
Andrea

its pretty steep in places, but hope to breed something, we just can't decide what. We wanted space and have it. Lots of mountain bike trails, great for horse riding, as we back onto state forest. But not so far out in the sticks, that we have to worry about becoming ferral!! We still have the 'wow' factor, even though its pretty neglected.