Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

1st year in Adelaide! Happy Australia Day!!!

1st year in Adelaide! Happy Australia Day!!!

Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:07 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1st year in Adelaide! Happy Australia Day!!!

Well where did all that time go? I can’t believe that I’m already writing our one year update!!!! Sorry if it’s too long……

We landed in Adelaide on Australia Day 2007 after a two week trip around California, Arizona and Nevada. My Uncle and Aunt (who sponsored us) were at the airport to meet us and took us to the rental we’d managed to arrange before we got here (thanks Andy J). The rental, in the beautiful Piccadilly valley in the Adelaide Hills, was fully furnished down to towels, bedding etc and the landlady’s Mum had even made us a pavlova – what a lovely start all round. We did think we wanted to live in the Hills as we liked the area when we came on our reccie trip.

Within 2 weeks we’d bought a car, done all the medicare/tax file nos etc etc and Chaz was offered a job on about the same money as he was on in the UK (he’s in finance).

The new school year started 3 days after we arrived so we went to look round our local school and loved it straight away so the girls started the next day. Alice, who had already done a term in year 2 in the UK went ‘back’ to year 1 and Molly restarted year 4. The slight step back was fantastic for both girls as it meant that the emphasis has been on settling in and making friends rather than on the academic work. Mind you, we’ve been very impressed with the standards and curriculum at our particular school and it has definitely born out all that we’d read about developing the whole child.

Otherwise the kids are so busy with music, swimming, drama, beach, friends etc etc. They have grown into very confident young girls and continue to grow daily. They are outside far more than they used to be – all great for them.

We had planned on renting for a while but we loved the area straight away and the girls loved the school so we started house hunting (as well as buying a second car). Plus the urge to get back into our own home was quite overwhelming. After looking at some horrendous homes and some beauties that were out of our price range we found our little log home in the hills on 1/2 an acre. It’s smaller than we thought we’d buy and doesn’t have the rumpus room I dreamt of having but we just couldn’t get the place out of our heads and it has the most amazing deck area. Well, we love the place and it’s completely ours – not the banks. The wildlife is amazing, we’ve had a koala, loads of birds all the time (kookaburras, lorikeets, galahs, magpies) and a family of possums.

Shortly after moving into our place we adopted a rescue dog, Roxy, from the RSPCA and our family was complete J.

During all of this we were rapidly becoming part of the community in the hills. We have made some marvellous friends, both aussie and brits. Some of the brits we met on UK meets and on our reccie and I think we’ll be friends with some of these people for a very long time. As for the aussie friends, they too are a fantastic bunch. I have a bunch of mum friends that I go for coffee with on Friday mornings and I can honestly say that I haven’t laughed as much in years. The aussie sense of humour seems to suit me to the ground. We really feel that we’ve been welcomed with open arms in this area – very lucky indeed.

After 8 months and realising that the rest of the family were getting well settled I decided I needed a bit more than constant coffee mornings so I decided to start my own business as a consultant selling lingerie and clothes at in home presentations. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. It’s giving me some income of my own, I get to wear the lovely clothes, it’s also very social and it fits in with the kids. I had worked for myself in the UK in my own home but found it very isolating. My current work gives me the independence of working for myself whilst still getting out and about. I believe this is necessary as too much time on my own could lead to homesickness.

Towards the end of our first year Chaz got promotion at work which takes him back to the position he was at in the UK so that rounded off the year nicely. Also we thoroughly enjoyed our first Christmas here although it does feel a bit odd having Christmas in the summer.

All in all I’d say we’ve been incredibly lucky. Many things just fell right for us (although there has been the odd challenge) such as managing to exchange all our house proceeds when the rate peaked last February (we did take advise and they all reckoned it would peak when it did – and it did). We’ve also been lucky to find an area that suits us down to the ground. We did take a lot of advise to heart such as saying yes to almost all social invites. As a result, we now have an amazing social life so much so that we crave a break at times!!!!

Missing family and friends can be hard and sometimes I have pondered if it’s worth it – usually deciding that yes, it has been worth it. We came with the attitude that we were going to make it work and we have really put ourselves out there and worked hard at settling and fitting in – all this helps, I think!

Nowhere’s perfect and I’m not going to pretend that it is but we love it here and count ourselves extremely lucky to have the opportunity to live here. Roll on many more years here.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st year in Adelaide! Happy Australia Day!!!

Great update Weasy.

We are heading for Adelaide and this just makes me want to be there RIGHT NOW.

Good luck for your 2nd year, I hope your happiness will continue to grow.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:50 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
Well where did all that time go? I can’t believe that I’m already writing our one year update!!!! Sorry if it’s too long……

We landed in Adelaide on Australia Day 2007 after a two week trip around California, Arizona and Nevada. My Uncle and Aunt (who sponsored us) were at the airport to meet us and took us to the rental we’d managed to arrange before we got here (thanks Andy J). The rental, in the beautiful Piccadilly valley in the Adelaide Hills, was fully furnished down to towels, bedding etc and the landlady’s Mum had even made us a pavlova – what a lovely start all round. We did think we wanted to live in the Hills as we liked the area when we came on our reccie trip.

Within 2 weeks we’d bought a car, done all the medicare/tax file nos etc etc and Chaz was offered a job on about the same money as he was on in the UK (he’s in finance).

The new school year started 3 days after we arrived so we went to look round our local school and loved it straight away so the girls started the next day. Alice, who had already done a term in year 2 in the UK went ‘back’ to year 1 and Molly restarted year 4. The slight step back was fantastic for both girls as it meant that the emphasis has been on settling in and making friends rather than on the academic work. Mind you, we’ve been very impressed with the standards and curriculum at our particular school and it has definitely born out all that we’d read about developing the whole child.

Otherwise the kids are so busy with music, swimming, drama, beach, friends etc etc. They have grown into very confident young girls and continue to grow daily. They are outside far more than they used to be – all great for them.

We had planned on renting for a while but we loved the area straight away and the girls loved the school so we started house hunting (as well as buying a second car). Plus the urge to get back into our own home was quite overwhelming. After looking at some horrendous homes and some beauties that were out of our price range we found our little log home in the hills on 1/2 an acre. It’s smaller than we thought we’d buy and doesn’t have the rumpus room I dreamt of having but we just couldn’t get the place out of our heads and it has the most amazing deck area. Well, we love the place and it’s completely ours – not the banks. The wildlife is amazing, we’ve had a koala, loads of birds all the time (kookaburras, lorikeets, galahs, magpies) and a family of possums.

Shortly after moving into our place we adopted a rescue dog, Roxy, from the RSPCA and our family was complete J.

During all of this we were rapidly becoming part of the community in the hills. We have made some marvellous friends, both aussie and brits. Some of the brits we met on UK meets and on our reccie and I think we’ll be friends with some of these people for a very long time. As for the aussie friends, they too are a fantastic bunch. I have a bunch of mum friends that I go for coffee with on Friday mornings and I can honestly say that I haven’t laughed as much in years. The aussie sense of humour seems to suit me to the ground. We really feel that we’ve been welcomed with open arms in this area – very lucky indeed.

After 8 months and realising that the rest of the family were getting well settled I decided I needed a bit more than constant coffee mornings so I decided to start my own business as a consultant selling lingerie and clothes at in home presentations. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. It’s giving me some income of my own, I get to wear the lovely clothes, it’s also very social and it fits in with the kids. I had worked for myself in the UK in my own home but found it very isolating. My current work gives me the independence of working for myself whilst still getting out and about. I believe this is necessary as too much time on my own could lead to homesickness.

Towards the end of our first year Chaz got promotion at work which takes him back to the position he was at in the UK so that rounded off the year nicely. Also we thoroughly enjoyed our first Christmas here although it does feel a bit odd having Christmas in the summer.

All in all I’d say we’ve been incredibly lucky. Many things just fell right for us (although there has been the odd challenge) such as managing to exchange all our house proceeds when the rate peaked last February (we did take advise and they all reckoned it would peak when it did – and it did). We’ve also been lucky to find an area that suits us down to the ground. We did take a lot of advise to heart such as saying yes to almost all social invites. As a result, we now have an amazing social life so much so that we crave a break at times!!!!

Missing family and friends can be hard and sometimes I have pondered if it’s worth it – usually deciding that yes, it has been worth it. We came with the attitude that we were going to make it work and we have really put ourselves out there and worked hard at settling and fitting in – all this helps, I think!

Nowhere’s perfect and I’m not going to pretend that it is but we love it here and count ourselves extremely lucky to have the opportunity to live here. Roll on many more years here.
Thats such a great post........were heading Adelaide way in April and we too are coming with the attitude of MAKING it work any other would be just a waste of time, money and effort.

I am very excited at the prospect of living somewhere different with a different way of life.

the grass aint always greener but a different shade, we know it aint no holiday forever but bring it on and lets give it a go.

Great post look forward to hearing more....
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:30 pm
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice

Great update. Any photos of your house and garden?? It sounds wonderful
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Hi Lou my old mate,

Well just to let everyone know Lou was a great support throughout our traumatic Visa process, Lou is a great and caring person who deserves to be happy. I was lucky enough during a very short trip to see friends in Adelaide (2 days!!!) to meet up with Lou and she was beaming from ear to ear. You said "go for it, its a great experience" and I must say we listened and have gone for it flying over for good on 15th April heading for Melbourne.

You live in the most beautiful area Lou and your girls seemed so happy. We will visit again and next time we will not be so rushed!

Great update Lou

Cheryl ( a fellow 139er)
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:22 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Ah year already....jezzz I'm shocked! So glad it's all working out for you and the family. I always think of you when I head to Nottingham. We are itching to get to Adelaide and start, not long I suppose till 2010. The speed your year has gone, I feel abit better!

Best wishes Lou!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

weez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really nice

great post weasy
it is so encouraging to hear that the kids have settled so well ( that is my biggest fear !)
good luck for the years to come
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

that almost made me cry, it was so lovely. Really am pleased everything has worked so well for you all.Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:00 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys . Love you Cheryl and thanks for the kind words.Hope to sea you soon mate.

Lou
xx
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Well done, Lou. It's lovely to hear your update. I am so pleased that it is all working out for you. The trauma of waiting for visa's doesn't seem that long ago. We have been here 9 months now. All the best for your second year.

Nicky xx
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:38 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! Lou a year already! I remember us waiting for our visas! I am so pleased for you that it has all worked out well. Well done to you!

Jackie x
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lou

Great post
we must firm up our coffee get together

Ali
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Lou.

Glad to hear that you're all settled and enjoying life in Adelaide. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious!

Hope you have many more great years to come.

All the best

Stu
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[.[/QUOTE]

Excellent progress !, congratulations.

Dave
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wafc
Great post Lou.

Glad to hear that you're all settled and enjoying life in Adelaide. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious!

Hope you have many more great years to come.

All the best

Stu

Hi Stu,

You moved back!!! sorry missed that one. I must say we visited Perth after seeing Lou in Adelaide in November , we have friends in Woodvale north Perth and its not my cup of tea at all so different from Melbourne and Adelaide.

Sorry to pinch your post Lou but wanted to wish Stu all the best for the future

Cheryl

Oh and please no offence mindblower as Perth is beautiful but it just felt so new great beaches just didnt have that homely feel to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.