18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!

Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!

And some more.....
Attached Thumbnails 18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-img_4586.jpg   18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-misty-basin.jpg   18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-woolrich-2.jpg  
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot the house!
Attached Thumbnails 18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-our-house.jpg   18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-img_3612.jpg   18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-front-garden.jpg  
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:59 pm
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, new to this site,

Waiting for our visa to come through at the moment, but OH and myself visited Melbourne and Sydney in Feb/Mar this year to have a good look around. We much preferred Melbourne, but unfortunately we cannot base ourselves in Melbourne so are hopefully locating down in Geelong, its really good to hear positive stories of the area, good luck to you all.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Crow
Some photos of our area and surrounds!
Ah! how cute are your girls? potential girlfriend for our George!!Ha HA!!looks FAB! only 3 hours at kinder? i need about 6 hours so what do i need to look for? as a hairdresser, i need a good 3 hours alone just to do a full head of foil hlts and a cut and blowdry, let alone time to travel to and from work!
Oh theres soo much to look into!
Thanks for the piccies, and YES! the sun is still shining!!!!!
Tracey.xx
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

Forgot the house!
Gorgeous! Just saw these after i replied! huge garden to! (are there many creepie crawlies living near those trees???????
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The howellers
Gorgeous! Just saw these after i replied! huge garden to! (are there many creepie crawlies living near those trees???????
No, luckily That's what put me off initially thinking of areas like this! We had the house professionally sprayed before we moved in and then Adam's done it every 3 months since and we've had nothing much. I haven't even had any in my car just a small Huntsman on my wing mirror once!

We do get possums (but they haven't caused us any problems) and lots of different species of parrots and Kookaburras too.

Rachel
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

dinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nice

Thanks for the photos. Looks gorgeous, can't wait to get there now. Hurry up ASPC!!!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Little Stinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Rachel,

Just sent you a PM, fantastic location and house!

The location is very similar to where we live now, I had resigned myself to the fact that we would not find this in Melbourne.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it?

Re Adam's work history, please tell me the name of the company the sacked him so I can avoid it like the plague!

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Little Stinker
Rachel,

Just sent you a PM, fantastic location and house!

The location is very similar to where we live now, I had resigned myself to the fact that we would not find this in Melbourne.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it?

Re Adam's work history, please tell me the name of the company the sacked him so I can avoid it like the plague!

Ian
Thanks! PM'd you too!

Rachel
Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Hi Rachel,

Just wanted to know is your house rented?? sorry . Its a fab house and your little girls are cute. It gives me alot faith that you can do it. My two little girls are small and I have worried. esther x
Old Aug 13th 2007, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by estherg
Hi Rachel,

Just wanted to know is your house rented?? sorry . Its a fab house and your little girls are cute. It gives me alot faith that you can do it. My two little girls are small and I have worried. esther x
Hi there

No we bought our house last September. Our girls have settled in with no trouble at all - they miss their grandparents, of course - but have lots of friends here now.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:10 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rachel & Adam,

thanks for the drinks the other day. Sorry we dissappeared off fairly early, but I promise next time we'll make up for it, and have a few at the pig & whistle, and grab a bite as well.

The house is coming on great, and I still can't get over the garage

Speak to you guys soon, and thanks again.

Paul, Joke, Damiean & Eugene.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by furkew
Hi Rachel & Adam,

thanks for the drinks the other day. Sorry we dissappeared off fairly early, but I promise next time we'll make up for it, and have a few at the pig & whistle, and grab a bite as well.

The house is coming on great, and I still can't get over the garage

Speak to you guys soon, and thanks again.

Paul, Joke, Damiean & Eugene.
Hi Paul & family!

Good to meet you all too! I suspect your boys are really glad they don't have a young sister (or two!!).

Good luck with house/rental searching and definitely meet up at Pig & Whistle soon.

Rachel et al
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:15 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Right this is a very long one - so I've done it in two parts:

This was supposed to be our year update – but time flies!

As a brief background
We arrived in Feb 2006, firstly stayed at Chelsea Caravan Park for 5 weeks whilst searching for a rental – then in a rental in Aspendale Gardens. Only stayed there for 6 months as we had the neighbours from hell. Adam had a job lined up before we left the UK – pre-press/graphics. It wasn’t the sort of job he ultimately wanted and the pay was low, but took some stress away. However, he got sacked after 6 weeks as it was discovered (thanks to a work ‘mate’) that he was looking for other jobs. Luckily, both these two initial obstacles had a silver lining: we found the perfect house in The Basin to buy and Adam was offered two jobs the day after he was fired – both on more money!

We have been living in The Basin for 11 months now and love it. We are on the outer edge next to a reserve, so it's quiet and beautiful. I love the fact that it feels like a village and you get to know people really quickly – especially with young children. We even have a really nice proper pub in the village - so it's always nice to pop in for a pint of Old Speckled Hen! We have a milk bar, newsagent, greengrocers, bakery, butcher, off licence, two excellent cafes, fish & chip shop, couple of restaurants and a wine bar. We even have a theatre and an annual music festival (a music club is being formed too).

The Basin has a fantastic community feel and it’s small enough that you bump into friends all the time – more often than not the girls will see friends at the parks/pool etc. The people I’ve met (mostly Mums) have been incredibly friendly and welcoming. I’ve got a great support network – when my car wouldn’t start, I had six Mums call that morning to offer to drive me around and/or pick the girls up. They will always step in to offer babysitting or help.

There is a very nice preschool in the village where my youngest goes. My oldest is in prep year at The Basin Primary School and she loves it. It is fairly small, 20 in her class, and has quite a wide curriculum and huge grounds. One thing that surprised me, was how many primary schools there are in the area – plenty to choose from (a couple of Catholic ones as well).

We have some great neighbours too – they look after our house when we’re away and take in our post. One chap lets us use his swimming pool even when he’s not there (and he works in a chocolate factory – the girls adore him!).

I love the location - only 5 mins to Boronia for lots of shops - plus train link to city (45 mins). Dandenong Ranges less than 5 mins! Lysterfield Lake (and lake beach) just 20 mins. Bay beaches are 45 mins. Excellent park facilities and open spaces for kids and a brilliant leisure centre in Boronia - I've joined in a vain hope of losing lots of weight! The pools are great for the kids - even have two outdoor ones open in the summer. There are also plenty of indoor play centres for children too. Boronia has a small cinema.

Ferntree Gully is only 10 mins away and also has plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes. Knox City Mall is only 15 mins drive away and is great. There is also a cinema, bowling and restaurant complex there.

To be continued......
hi,ferntree gully,boronia or the basin are areas that we are looking at...
would love some info on best areas for houses schools etc....have about $350,000 to spend.....
i plan on working for myself as an holistic therapist........demand for these sort of treatments?
sorry to bombard you with questions but as your in that area you have hands on experience(get my meaning)
thanks liz/lee
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
hi,ferntree gully,boronia or the basin are areas that we are looking at...
would love some info on best areas for houses schools etc....have about $350,000 to spend.....
i plan on working for myself as an holistic therapist........demand for these sort of treatments?
sorry to bombard you with questions but as your in that area you have hands on experience(get my meaning)
thanks liz/lee
Hi Liz & Lee

Just replied to you on your other thread! Certainly alternative therapies are popular in and around the hills! I think it would be an ideal place for you. Boronia has good and not so nice areas - I think Boronia Heights is nicer. You soon get a feel for a place when you drive around. We weren't impressed when we first looked around Ferntree Gully (I think because most of the house we looked at were on an 80s housing estate), but there are some nice parts - Bordy lives in a great spot!

Fire away with more questions - I've answered some more of yours on the other thread.

Rachel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.