18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!

Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:37 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!

Hi Rachel & Adam,

great post, and really great to hear how much you are enjoying the life in Melbourne, I will definitely give a call this coming week if thats still OK with you guys, but its been a bit hectic this last week. How's your agenda next Sat/Sun ?

I cant agree more with your comments about living just outside the hustle & bustle of the real city, but close enough for easy reach.

We have seen a property in Monbulk we like, and again thats 10/15 minutes from so much. Yarra valley,Yarra ranges, Knox city, or Ferntree area, even Lilydale and Montrose is only 20 minutes.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely fantastic, all the best for the future.
Denise x
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clinta
Very good nice to see some remarks with exactly what we are thinking!!!We have been her 3 weeks and my wife totally knows what you mean by the mums being mumsy!! We are both still up for a laugh and enjoy going out and having it!!and every one with kids we have met seem ready for there graves!! I am from sydney and my wife is engish we have just moved here from surrey after living there for the past 12 years.We are located in port melbourne and would likenglisheet up with any one that would like to.We are both in our early thirties and have a boy of 16 months if you would like to catch up for a drink let us know.
That sounds like a good plan - we pop into the city fairly regularly - so we should organise something soon!

Rachel
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=The howellers;5147661]
Originally Posted by The Crow
So, what do I think of my part of Australia?
HI GUYS! That was SUCH a helpful bit of info. Dont know why but cameover really emotional and had a bit of a blub! My husband has been in contact with Adam in the past about the pre press trade as he will be looking for work around your area beginning feb,and was really happy to hear the wages were good. To be honest we have been REALLY panicking recently, hearing about the exchange rate creeping down and down, and properties going up and up...which now looks like the type of life we thought we could have had 12 months ago is way out of our reach now.does this sound right?George is 3 so we will be looking at pre schools (do you have an idea how much these cost?)and expats have been posting food prices saying oz is approx 11% higher for your average weekly food shop?

It was a breath of fresh air to read your post, and helped calm (a few) of my nerves now we are getting closer....just waiting for the fianl YES! or NO! for the visa. Meds sent 12th july so hoping we will hear in the next month. The flights have gone up £150 pp in the last 3 weeks as peak time when we come out and we may risk booking themto secure the price.
Sorry to waffle on! ADAM!! if you hear of any job openings end jan, please give us a shout! (and by the way,you said the other mums were a bit mumsy and not too keen on your boozy nights???well, keep a date in your diary when we arrive and you will have another mum without mum mentality to hit the town with!!!!Lots of love, Tracey, Justin and George.xx
Hi there Tracey, Justin & George!

Good to hear from you. Certainly house prices are rising - I would guess that our house has gone up 10% in the last year. However, if you have a house to sell in the UK, hopefully you will get more for your house too. If you only wanted a 3 bed house, you can still get bargains around our neck of the woods. I pay $260 a term for India to go to 3-year old kinder twice a week.

With regard to food shopping, it's hard to compare as our girls are older now and eating more. I buy more fruit than back home and that fluctuates due to season. For example my fruit & grocery shop was about $20 more last week than usual. I still think it's around the same as the UK - but depends what you buy.

I'll ask Adam to keep his ears open re. any job possibilities!

Look forward to a few evenings at the pub

If you think of anything else, just ask!

Rachel
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=estherg;5148737]
Originally Posted by The howellers
Sorry was going to say, still love a night out and so not a mumsy. Already living in smallville and so know what you mean! so if we get to Melbourne count me in for a beer!
I'll look forward to it - and will reply to your other post tom!
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by furkew
Hi Rachel & Adam,

great post, and really great to hear how much you are enjoying the life in Melbourne, I will definitely give a call this coming week if thats still OK with you guys, but its been a bit hectic this last week. How's your agenda next Sat/Sun ?

I cant agree more with your comments about living just outside the hustle & bustle of the real city, but close enough for easy reach.

We have seen a property in Monbulk we like, and again thats 10/15 minutes from so much. Yarra valley,Yarra ranges, Knox city, or Ferntree area, even Lilydale and Montrose is only 20 minutes.
Hi there!

We should be around on Saturday. It would be good to meet!

Rachel
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:27 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

We should be around on Saturday. It would be good to meet!

Rachel
I'll call tomorrow (kids are asleep upstairs)

What is easier for you guys, mid afternoon ?

Paul.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by furkew
I'll call tomorrow (kids are asleep upstairs)

What is easier for you guys, mid afternoon ?

Paul.
Yes, that should be fine - you might not catch me in tomorrow until after 3pm though (what with school and kinder drop offs/pick ups, gym & dreaded supermarket shopping!).
Old Aug 5th 2007, 1:10 pm
Going for a ride

Yes, that should be fine - you might not catch me in tomorrow until after 3pm though (what with school and kinder drop offs/pick ups, gym & dreaded supermarket shopping!).

no worries.

I have just emailed five real estate agents asking to look at rentals, and one to look at a house for the second time to possibly buy, so I think tomorrow could be a busy one for us as well.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by estherg
what a fab post, I am from Bristol but left 7 years ago (OH job in London) .I love Bristol and would love to know how Melbourne compares !!. We were going to go to Sydney or Melbourne but found we just did not like Sydney.
Now looking at Melbourne, we have to small children just starting school, really worried about going out cold without looking first!! any advice would be great!! Thanks.
Melbourne is vast compared to Bristol and has much more diverse suburbs - something to suit everyone. The city is busier and much more going on with regards to arts & culture and festivals. Again, there are distinct parts of the CBD itself, which make it very interesting. I've still got a lot to explore. Shopping is great too - from the CBD into the outlying suburbs. When there are festivals on they seem to have the knack of having different sections for different age groups - which is good with young children. There are plenty of events that are free of charge too.
The bay beaches are much nicer than I expected (I only remember St Kilda from my backpacking days!). It's great to have the likes of Chelsea Beach only 45 mins drive from us, rather than Weston-super-Mare!! But St Kilda is also great for the pier (you can spot jellyfish, starfish & stingrays from there) and Luna Park of course, as well as good shopping and fab cake shops on Acland Street.
Great facilities for young children - numerous parks with good playgrounds and BBQs. Lots of indoor play centres too and even McDonalds has some really good outdoor play areas (great in the summer for a 50c icecream!).
You also have the beautiful Mornington Peninsula for a day trip or weekend, the Dandenong Ranges for forest walks and mountain villages and then, in winter, the Alpine area.
I'm sure I've missed out lots of good things - just shout if you need to know anything else more specific.
Rachel
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Rachel

This is a great post and a FANTASTIC update, we are hoping to come to Melbourne, and can not wait.

Tracy & Jason
Old Aug 6th 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Melbourne is vast compared to Bristol and has much more diverse suburbs - something to suit everyone. The city is busier and much more going on with regards to arts & culture and festivals. Again, there are distinct parts of the CBD itself, which make it very interesting. I've still got a lot to explore. Shopping is great too - from the CBD into the outlying suburbs. When there are festivals on they seem to have the knack of having different sections for different age groups - which is good with young children. There are plenty of events that are free of charge too.
The bay beaches are much nicer than I expected (I only remember St Kilda from my backpacking days!). It's great to have the likes of Chelsea Beach only 45 mins drive from us, rather than Weston-super-Mare!! But St Kilda is also great for the pier (you can spot jellyfish, starfish & stingrays from there) and Luna Park of course, as well as good shopping and fab cake shops on Acland Street.
Great facilities for young children - numerous parks with good playgrounds and BBQs. Lots of indoor play centres too and even McDonalds has some really good outdoor play areas (great in the summer for a 50c icecream!).
You also have the beautiful Mornington Peninsula for a day trip or weekend, the Dandenong Ranges for forest walks and mountain villages and then, in winter, the Alpine area.
I'm sure I've missed out lots of good things - just shout if you need to know anything else more specific.
Rachel
Thanks so much Rachel, Its food for thought. Sydney just does not do it for us and Melbourne sounds fab.Lots of people back home speak highly of Melbourne. I am sure to PM sometime in the next few months on thoughts of areas!! if you dont mind. Keep us posted Esther x
Old Aug 6th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=The Crow;5150760]
Originally Posted by The howellers

Hi there Tracey, Justin & George!

Good to hear from you. Certainly house prices are rising - I would guess that our house has gone up 10% in the last year. However, if you have a house to sell in the UK, hopefully you will get more for your house too. If you only wanted a 3 bed house, you can still get bargains around our neck of the woods. I pay $260 a term for India to go to 3-year old kinder twice a week.

With regard to food shopping, it's hard to compare as our girls are older now and eating more. I buy more fruit than back home and that fluctuates due to season. For example my fruit & grocery shop was about $20 more last week than usual. I still think it's around the same as the UK - but depends what you buy.

I'll ask Adam to keep his ears open re. any job possibilities!

Look forward to a few evenings at the pub

If you think of anything else, just ask!

Rachel
Hi Rachel!
Thanks for that! is kinder the same as our pre- school? getting a bit confused when searching as things called different names over there!
It sounds much cheaper as George goes twice a week here and the bill is equvilant to $653.20 dollars a month! eats a huge hole in my wages!
Just sitting in blazing sun at the mo. HOORAH! summer finally here!
Speak soon, Tracey.xx
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=The howellers;5154325]
Hi Rachel!
Thanks for that! is kinder the same as our pre- school? getting a bit confused when searching as things called different names over there!
It sounds much cheaper as George goes twice a week here and the bill is equvilant to $653.20 dollars a month! eats a huge hole in my wages!
Just sitting in blazing sun at the mo. HOORAH! summer finally here!
Speak soon, Tracey.xx
Kinder and pre-school is the same thing over here. My girls only went to nursery in the UK as they were young. Bear in mind though, that the sessions are only 2 x 3hr. I also sometimes put India in occasional care on a Friday morning (3hr again) for $15.
Hope the weather lasts!
Rachel
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some photos of our area and surrounds!
Attached Thumbnails 18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-basin.jpg   18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-dscf0199.jpg   18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-enroute-village-3.jpg   18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-img_3159.jpg   18 MONTHS IN MELBOURNE!-img_3756.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.