Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

18 months on the bayside in Brisbane

18 months on the bayside in Brisbane

Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Talking 18 months on the bayside in Brisbane

Been in Aus around 18 months now and really starting to enjoy life here, and for those that know me that is a massive change from when we first arrived which was a whole different story.

When we first arrived we had 2 cars vandalised while staying with my sister on the north side of Brissie, we then moved to a rented property in Wakerley on the bayside near Manly West and just as we started to get settled slightly we got burgled. Also between that our daughter had Whooping cough this all made for one hell of a shit start to our new life down under and i was very close to jumping on a plane and heading home on several occasions.

Well thank god we didnt as we have since bought a lovely 4 bed lowset with a pool to top it in Wakerley , i have a decent well paid job with Virgin Blue at Brisbane airport which also gives us discounted flights around the country. My wife is now pregnant with No. 2 due in April who will be a real Aussie that is unless England are playing football, will have to make sure No.2 knows its loyalties there.

We have made some great friends out here and i would advise going to a meet or 2 when you first get here even if just for some info from other brits already out here. One big lesson we have learnt out here is that you most definitely get what you pay for down under and that goes for everything from cars to clothes to houses to tradies doing work on your house. A big tip i would give is to get any quotes for jobs in black and white before going ahead and ask around as word of mouth is a brilliant thing over here no matter what you are doing.

Once you get over the home sickness and the way things are done here you will settle in but it will take a good year before you can make a choice as to whether it was a good move or not, we are now very happy here and a big bonus for us is that our daughter will be able to go to a very good private school as of next year and the cost is very very cheap approx 2500 sterling a year. If we can give our children this sort of start in life there is no way we will be going home for a long time.

Do be prepared for the cost of living as it is a lot dearer than we ever imagined, yes petrol is cheaper and you get more of a house for your money than back in old blighty but that is about it and with interest rates on the rise all getting very expensive. But the one thing we can do now if we get a bit short at the end of the month is have a couple of beers by the pool with the neighbours and friends and remember the cold winter nights back home.

I would say to anyone considering a move out here give it a go and most definitely stick it out as it is a great life out here, you can still watch the footy (still cannot say soccer) on foxtell from back home and my wife has started to watch Corrie on UK TV as we have now got to the point where we left UK so you get a good 12-18 months soap opera free what a bonus.

Gotta go need a dip in my pool and a nice cold stubby
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 months on the bayside in Brisbane

Good post, glad all is going well for you all & wish you & OH well with the new arrival!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:41 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Good to hear it's going well (eventually). We head to the Bayside area at the end of January. Really looking forward to it now, 10 weeks today and counting.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:16 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Great positive post Greggsy. I remember reading about your 'teething problems' a while ago and feeling for you all. You have shown that it takes a lot of time and determination to settle in Aus but settle most of us eventually do! Best wishes for the future to you and your expanding family from fellow Bournemouth residents now living on the GC.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carbery View Post
Great positive post Greggsy. I remember reading about your 'teething problems' a while ago and feeling for you all. You have shown that it takes a lot of time and determination to settle in Aus but settle most of us eventually do! Best wishes for the future to you and your expanding family from fellow Bournemouth residents now living on the GC.
How are things on the GC must say would love to have a beach like that near by almost as good as Bournemouth Beach !!!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:02 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greggsy View Post
How are things on the GC must say would love to have a beach like that near by almost as good as Bournemouth Beach !!!
Mate - its pretty simular. We lived in Southbourne just a 3 minute walk to the beach now we are about a 5 minute drive the main difference is the colour of the ocean (blue not grey) and not freezing your nuts off in the winter!!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Carbery View Post
Mate - its pretty simular. We lived in Southbourne just a 3 minute walk to the beach now we are about a 5 minute drive the main difference is the colour of the ocean (blue not grey) and not freezing your nuts off in the winter!!
Where abouts in southbourne did you live that is where i grew up, Beaufort Rd and the Malt & Hops was my old local.
Bet its fun down there with schoolies on at the moment.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not in Surfers you probably not aware that Schoolies is on. They don't tend to move very far.

Sounds like you've settled well. Keep up the good work
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:20 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Aus around 18 months now and really starting to enjoy life here, and for those that know me that is a massive change from when we first arrived which was a whole different story.

When we first arrived we had 2 cars vandalised while staying with my sister on the north side of Brissie, we then moved to a rented property in Wakerley on the bayside near Manly West and just as we started to get settled slightly we got burgled. Also between that our daughter had Whooping cough this all made for one hell of a shit start to our new life down under and i was very close to jumping on a plane and heading home on several occasions.

Well thank god we didnt as we have since bought a lovely 4 bed lowset with a pool to top it in Wakerley , i have a decent well paid job with Virgin Blue at Brisbane airport which also gives us discounted flights around the country. My wife is now pregnant with No. 2 due in April who will be a real Aussie that is unless England are playing football, will have to make sure No.2 knows its loyalties there.

We have made some great friends out here and i would advise going to a meet or 2 when you first get here even if just for some info from other brits already out here. One big lesson we have learnt out here is that you most definitely get what you pay for down under and that goes for everything from cars to clothes to houses to tradies doing work on your house. A big tip i would give is to get any quotes for jobs in black and white before going ahead and ask around as word of mouth is a brilliant thing over here no matter what you are doing.

Once you get over the home sickness and the way things are done here you will settle in but it will take a good year before you can make a choice as to whether it was a good move or not, we are now very happy here and a big bonus for us is that our daughter will be able to go to a very good private school as of next year and the cost is very very cheap approx 2500 sterling a year. If we can give our children this sort of start in life there is no way we will be going home for a long time.

Do be prepared for the cost of living as it is a lot dearer than we ever imagined, yes petrol is cheaper and you get more of a house for your money than back in old blighty but that is about it and with interest rates on the rise all getting very expensive. But the one thing we can do now if we get a bit short at the end of the month is have a couple of beers by the pool with the neighbours and friends and remember the cold winter nights back home.

I would say to anyone considering a move out here give it a go and most definitely stick it out as it is a great life out here, you can still watch the footy (still cannot say soccer) on foxtell from back home and my wife has started to watch Corrie on UK TV as we have now got to the point where we left UK so you get a good 12-18 months soap opera free what a bonus.

Gotta go need a dip in my pool and a nice cold stubby
Mmmm thats another pool to add to my list of 'places i must visit when move to Brisbane',cheers Greg and keep the beers nice and cold
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post mate and thanks for sharing We got 6 days till we leave and cant wait to get stuck in!!

S-j x
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: 18 months on the bayside in Brisbane

Glad the post was helpful to some of you and good luck to the rest of you on your way out here, just have to remember to make the most of it and enjoy yourselves when you arrive take some time out and have a couple of trips and days out as it is all a bit stressfull at the start but if you give it a chance all will work out for in the end and anyway AFC Bournemouth are doing so bad back home i am saving money by not paying to go and see them lose
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, thanks for sharing it

did you have previous experience with airlines before you got the job at Virgin Blue? What do you do there?

Sam
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
Great post, thanks for sharing it

did you have previous experience with airlines before you got the job at Virgin Blue? What do you do there?

Sam
I work in engineering scheduling the maintenance, worked in aviation most my life. VB is good company to work for although expanding way too quick everyone has more work than they know what to do with
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

owen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really nice

I work in engineering scheduling the maintenance, worked in aviation most my life. VB is good company to work for although expanding way too quick everyone has more work than they know what to do with
Nice one Gregsy, May give you a shout if its ok when we get over in Jan, as we are setting up camp in the bayside area.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:30 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by owen709646 View Post
Nice one Gregsy, May give you a shout if its ok when we get over in Jan, as we are setting up camp in the bayside area.
Can we tag along as well? We'll be newly arrived at the end of Jan so meeting with other 'newbies' would be good.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.