18 month update (Perth)

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 2:21 am
Just Joined

WAChippy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 18 month update (Perth)

Hi all

I haven't posted here since the day I left for Perth but I do often visit, and you may be wondering how someone with only 1 post can post an update, well I know some people from my work place use this forum now and I don't want any rumours flying about at work.

As the title says both me and my partner have been here in Perth 18 months now, and in all honesty we are loving it.
We both have ok jobs and are building our first home in Australia which is really exciting. But with me having a bit of an OCD for perfection I am already stressing about the finish on our house which brings me on to my next subject.

Workmanship.

I originaly came over here as a joiner/shopfitter with full intention of going full bore in this area and making the most of it. Well, I did for the first couple of months, then I got sick of being asked to rush jobs and move on to the next. I am a quick worker and a good one at that and if there is one thing I dont like doing its 'not doing it right'. I like everything done by the book, cutting corners and covering over shody work is not my way, but I soon realised that this is what happens all over the place in Perth.
Maybe part of the problem is I dont really know the construction industry in Perth very well, contacts, who to work for etc so I am a little limited there.

Please don't think I am saying that everyone in construction in Perth is like this, just my limited opinion.

Since those first experiences I have been working in the CBD in an office, and the novelty has worn off I am dying to be back out there either on the tools or doing site management again. The problem is where do I start, my tools haven't been touched in many months, who do I work for, will I end up frustred again and going back to my office job, who knows ?
My partner thinks I should start up on my own doing 'sympathetic restorations' on older properties. I have always loved combining minimalist modern decor yet keeping the old character of a building intact. But starting on my own, where do I start, how do I fund it, thats even more scary.

I guess we will see what happens here.

I see a fair few people are heading home and then coming back to OZ again, I often ask myself 'would I go back to the UK' and 'do I miss it'. Oh god yes I miss it, well I miss the convenience of life in the UK and my friends, would I go back, no..
I don't miss the country at all, we have learned to adapt to the way Perth is and I think if you do that rather than complain about the opening hours of stores or the fact there is nothing to do here you will enjoy it much more.

Which brings me on to dull Perth, I don't get it ? Perth is not dull at all, not for us atleast, we have loads to do when we want to and nothing to do when we dont.

I think Perth as so much to offer those who have an open mind.

I have had many phone calls from friends in the UK who have said 'we are moving to Perth' all because they see I am having a good time and it has worked out for me.
But after I have told them the truth such as this is not the UK with sun and you will still have to work dam hard and pay bills they decide to stay in the UK.

Not much of an update, but reading updates from others really helped me out before and after I arrived here.

I don't think Perth will be the final destination on my map, but it will be the place I lay my head for the last time. Perth always has and always will feel like home.

I hope many more migrants to Perth fall in love with this place the way many others have.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 month update (Perth)

Nice one!
I wish you luck in acheiving what you want from your work-life
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Great update good luck with it all
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:22 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent posting.