Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

16 months on the Gold Coast

16 months on the Gold Coast

Old May 13th 2012, 11:00 am
Just Joined

ozaintthatgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 16 months on the Gold Coast

And so far i just want to leave..........

I'll elaborate....

Loved it the first time my wife and I came here in 2007, since arriving on a PR in Feb last year it was between ok and moderate. Reasons for this are we moved to broadwater into a friends apartment with a 6 month old, it was lovely we loved walking to paradise point and all down the waterfront. the apartment was good the pool nice and cold in the warmth. the bad point the tourist style of lifestyle with parties till silly o'clock but aparently it's ok as its the gold coast.

Got a job straight away no problem as i aint a lazy arse and got up and applied. have not been out of work since arriving, love working here its the people who live here who for want of better words are Arse holes.

1. they cannot for the life of them drive
2. they must at all times stay as close to your tailgate as possible to see what is in your boot.
3. they think the highway is a bloody new stage on their playstation style of driving.
4. they are a bunch of ******* idiots once alcohol is added.

It's as if i have gone back 60 years from the uk, dont get me wrong i love australia but i think the idiots here will turn even the best ambassador for the state. the GC is not a place for families its a place for people who love drinking (me 10 years ago)

Does this mean i chose the wrong area to bring up my family? yes i think it is.
Does it make an opinion that all of australia mainland is like this? yes it does.

I love the look of the outback but love my job and close proximity to large supermarkets and schools.

I only travel about 15km from coomera to my job but in that time i'm so stressed with the motorway i'm already annoyed when i get to work.. If you drive on the M1 in QLD you'll understand what i mean.

Anyone in the rockhampton region who have a better style of life with any encouraging words??????

Just my 2 cents worth, i love australia and love working here just hate the idiots i encounter every day making me want to leave already.

Cheers
OATG
Old May 17th 2012, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nice
Default Re: 16 months on the Gold Coast

I'm sorry to hear about the "issues" you have with people there in GC. But let me assure you that all of oz is not like that. Maybe you should move indeed if you can. But I'm thinking about your job so..it's really up to you.
Old May 18th 2012, 11:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the whole of the Goldie isn't like that but if it seems that way to you then obviously it doesn't matter what others think. We don't live through other peoples lives after all Perhaps put a thread out on the main Aus forum asking about Rockhampton, can't think of anyone offhand who's up there but that doesn't mean they're not about and that others won't have some good info for you. Good luck with it.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:37 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

It's not THAT bad, but I do know where you are coming from. I don't think you can tar the whole area /population with the same brush.............try a move first..........perhaps Interstate? As an example, I found Adeladians more 'with it' the Gold Coasters (Disclaimer: That I had met personally)

Best Wishes, Jan x
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant future

Why not take public transportation?
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The stretch of motorway between the GC and Brisbane is about the worst I have encountered anywhere.

How anyone can commute from GC to Brisbane is beyond me. Every time I cross it at Eight mile plains it is at a standstill.

I am about to go on it now for an appointment in Brisbane...we will be leaving early to compensate for the inevitable holdups.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Belle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really nice

Posts like this really annoy me. No way is the whole of the Gold Coast full of people who just drink. If everyone is annoying you maybe look in the mirror, it may be you thats the problem
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

movingbacktoaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent 3 years on the Gold Coast as a uni student and loved it. That was 12 years ago now. Would I move back there now with my English wife and our child? Not a chance.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:51 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Belle83
Posts like this really annoy me. No way is the whole of the Gold Coast full of people who just drink. If everyone is annoying you maybe look in the mirror, it may be you thats the problem
Yip totally agree.

Never had a problem with the Goldie, there's good and bad.

As for the drivers, yeah the standard is poor....I'm sure a lot of them have lobotomies when they get their license.

If your only 15 Kim's from work, what's wrong with public transport ?

If we have to go into the city during the week, we always take the bus. Yeah the pacific is always busy,, but if your not driving, who cares......

We love the Goldie though and spend a fair bit of time down there.

Lighten up
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is no different. In fact I thought it was a WA thing. The first email I sent to the UK from Perth was that it was very nice, great weather..... And all the drivers are gay as it seems they want to be up my backside all day. (that was to a gay friend)
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Get a pin and direct one of the nozzles on your windcreen washers up a little so that the water from it sails over the roof of your car. When people get too close squirt away, they get the message and back off, works a treat.

Also laughing at the person behind you having to use his wipers is funnier then getting all stressed out about them up your rear.

Sunny Coast (and I suppose Rocky) has minimal traffic problems but you cant escape the tailgaters, we've lived in Adelaide, Canberra and SunnyC and its all the same.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 2:55 pm
Banned

Scottishjam is an unknown quantity at this point

Then flap your arms real fast and fly back to your non tailgaters in the UK.
I mean all I hear is the winging Pom syndrome.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishjam
Then flap your arms real fast and fly back to your non tailgaters in the UK.
I mean all I hear is the winging Pom syndrome.
Normally I would welcome new members but when you seem to have joined just to resurrect an old post and whinge about it, I'm not so sure I can be bothered.....
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I know your pain, I mean I left Wales 5 years ago because I couldn't rest for all those choirs singing Tom Jones songs. I'd go for a walk to get away and kept falling into all the mines mining coal all the time!! And the smell of leeks was appalling!! After driving through England and sampling the jellied eels I thought I'd better get to Oz pronto!! I had a great welcome from the kangaroos, koalas, spiders and snakes at the airport, and my cork hat fits a dream!

Now as a Gold coaster ( Robina end) lets put down my twentieth buddy n coke, pack my gun, get up someone's arse and speed horrendously to The shops to buy some more grog n tucker!!
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't tar the whole of Australia with the same brush. Try moving away from "Party Central" into a more "normal" part. If you get upset with the driving, then find an alternative, as others have suggested. No point giving yourself an ulcer/road rage blood pressure. And you get tailgaters anywhere- I was more afraid of white van man, school run chelsea-tractor-driving mum and looney BMW driver in the UK than I am of ute man or weaving senior where I live. (Sydney)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.