Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

15 months on....feeling homesick

15 months on....feeling homesick

Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 15 months on....feeling homesick

Originally Posted by tallboy21
hey cheryl
i to am a wondering soul with a wife & 2 kids used to live in torpoint (cornwall) now live in brisbane but have got the moving bug again & am dragging them down to south australia

have you worked out how to stop this wondering as it drives my wife nuts
regards barry
I have simular problem as my Hubby is a home bird and I feel I drag him around as well. To be honest I cannot offer any help as I have not stayed put in one place for more than two years. We have promised ourselves that we will stay put in Melbourne (Mornington penisular) until the kids have finished school and then who knows?. Australia is great though as its a huge country with diverse lifestyles so you can move within a country and it offers new adventures. We hope that when the kids are old enough to leave school they will hopefully stay within Australia and hopefully so will we (although New Zealand is another option).

South Australia is great, Mother and Father in law (Redruth) went over to play in the Cornish festival last year and had a great time (loads of Cornish in South Australia / mining) although the pasty's have pumpkin in them !

Keep in touch as love to know how you get on in your next adventure,

Cheryl
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

tallboy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
I have simular problem as my Hubby is a home bird and I feel I drag him around as well. To be honest I cannot offer any help as I have not stayed put in one place for more than two years. We have promised ourselves that we will stay put in Melbourne (Mornington penisular) until the kids have finished school and then who knows?. Australia is great though as its a huge country with diverse lifestyles so you can move within a country and it offers new adventures. We hope that when the kids are old enough to leave school they will hopefully stay within Australia and hopefully so will we (although New Zealand is another option).

South Australia is great, Mother and Father in law (Redruth) went over to play in the Cornish festival last year and had a great time (loads of Cornish in South Australia / mining) although the pasty's have pumpkin in them !

Keep in touch as love to know how you get on in your next adventure,

Cheryl
hi cheryl
dont like the sound of pumpkin in the pasties but ill give it a go yeh were heading to wudinna as we have been offered 1 of those $1.10 plots of land,
the reason i liked the look of sa was when i saw the sea at venus bay it reminded me of whitsands in cornwall were as brisbane lacks that rough looking coast line, saying that i was born in the middle of england so i only used to see the sea once a year on holiday lived in cornwall for 10 years & loved it just got itchey feet & came out here i am the same as you regards kids ones 13 the others 10 so will have to stop moving about untill they finish school but its hard
anyway ill let you know how we get on weve got 2 more weeks in brissey before the house sale goes threw then i am taking the family on a good road trip to get some of this wandering out of my system before i settle for a while
Old Apr 29th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tallboy21
hi cheryl
dont like the sound of pumpkin in the pasties but ill give it a go yeh were heading to wudinna as we have been offered 1 of those $1.10 plots of land,
the reason i liked the look of sa was when i saw the sea at venus bay it reminded me of whitsands in cornwall were as brisbane lacks that rough looking coast line, saying that i was born in the middle of england so i only used to see the sea once a year on holiday lived in cornwall for 10 years & loved it just got itchey feet & came out here i am the same as you regards kids ones 13 the others 10 so will have to stop moving about untill they finish school but its hard
anyway ill let you know how we get on weve got 2 more weeks in brissey before the house sale goes threw then i am taking the family on a good road trip to get some of this wandering out of my system before i settle for a while

I like you am not Cornish (Southport is place of birth but moved down when I was 9) but I suppose that rouged coastline is difficult to get out of your blood. The great Ocean road is just like north coast of Cornwall with Devon countryside as a backdrop (more trees that Cornwall).

House plot sounds an absolute bargain well done you!.

Have a number of friends in Adelaide so you never know our paths may cross at some point as we will be down your way a lot I expect. Best of luck with your move

Cheryl
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

KeilaK will become famous soon enoughKeilaK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lisaloo
Hi 1st time posting on here usually use britvics but have now found this one too.

Have lived in mornington, vic for 15 months now and loved it all so much we even built our own house which we have been in 8 weeks. But its like reality has really kicked in now i havent anything to really look forward to. I constantly think about the uk and family. I feel that its a better place for our kids but as for us i feel like its boring and our lives have stopped. We have loads of friends and even 2 couples are friends from the uk but I really want to just get on a plane and see somebody and i havent felt like this since we landed. The place is stunnning our house is gorgeous but inside i feel strange and hae even been looking at properties for sale back home.

I feel like moving here has finacially drained us, its not as cheap as exspected and also very lonely.

lisaxx
Hi Lisa,

We are also living in Mornington but have only been here 4 months. I have to agree about the place being beautiful and my eldest son is very happy in his new school. Unfortunately I am beginning to feel a little isolated and lonely. The first few months are so manic trying to set everything up and then my parents came for a visit but now we are down to real life. My husband is very happy in his job and has joined the local soccer club. The kids have friends at school and on the road, but I have nobody that I can chat to during the day. I was all set to make a real effort to meet people last week. I went into Mornington to check out the Mother & Child groups and was trying to think really positively when my two youngest boys came down with chicken pox. So instead of getting out more I have been stuck in the house completely!!:curse:

I know that this is only a phase and if I make the effort I will meet people but this was the one thing that I worried about before we even left home. Although I could talk for Ireland when I know somebody, I usually find it hard to make new friends. What did you do to get to know people when you arrived here? Any tips would be really appreciated.

I hope that you are feeling happier in yourself since your original post? I suppose that bouts of homesickness are bound to always plague us when we are so far away from home.

Anyway - chin up!
Keila
Old May 6th 2007, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

lisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud of

Hi Keila....I know a lot of people here mainly because of my 2 and half yr old daughter and my 9yr old son. I started to go to the mother and child playgroup in mornington on barkley street next to the occassional childcare which helped me loads there are lots of other mums from the uk too.

I am a very outgoing person who will talk to anybody and do not get phased by new people/situations at all which has worked in my favour because i know so many people now but i seem to have weeks where i dont make the effort to go to places and see anybody which is not like me.

I am quite down again at the mo but was quite fine last week...its just bloody hard and to be honest i feel bored here at the mo but know its great for the kids so i'm trying to be happy-ier and annoying my partner who loves it here and thinks i'm barking mad...

Get in contact anytime for a chat...where in mornington are you.??..

Lisa x x
Old May 6th 2007, 7:55 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Hi 1st time posting on here usually use britvics but have now found this one too.

Have lived in mornington, vic for 15 months now and loved it all so much we even built our own house which we have been in 8 weeks. But its like reality has really kicked in now i havent anything to really look forward to. I constantly think about the uk and family. I feel that its a better place for our kids but as for us i feel like its boring and our lives have stopped. We have loads of friends and even 2 couples are friends from the uk but I really want to just get on a plane and see somebody and i havent felt like this since we landed. The place is stunnning our house is gorgeous but inside i feel strange and hae even been looking at properties for sale back home.

I feel like moving here has finacially drained us, its not as cheap as exspected and also very lonely.

lisaxx

Book a holiday back home and that way you'll get your fix for people and places.
You will then realise the reasons you left in the first place and maybe that will ease your mind.
Old May 6th 2007, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

lisaxx
Big house, nice furnishings, beautiful views...means nothing if you can't share them with your loved ones.
Old May 6th 2007, 11:52 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Big house, nice furnishings, beautiful views...means nothing if you can't share them with your loved ones.
Good point but why leave them in the 1st place then.