British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   15 months on....feeling homesick (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/15-months-feeling-homesick-445072/)

lisaloo Apr 26th 2007 4:14 am

15 months on....feeling homesick

Hi 1st time posting on here usually use britvics but have now found this one too.

Have lived in mornington, vic for 15 months now and loved it all so much we even built our own house which we have been in 8 weeks. But its like reality has really kicked in now i havent anything to really look forward to. I constantly think about the uk and family. I feel that its a better place for our kids but as for us i feel like its boring and our lives have stopped. We have loads of friends and even 2 couples are friends from the uk but I really want to just get on a plane and see somebody and i havent felt like this since we landed. The place is stunnning our house is gorgeous but inside i feel strange and hae even been looking at properties for sale back home.

I feel like moving here has finacially drained us, its not as cheap as exspected and also very lonely.

lisaxx

LIBBY Apr 26th 2007 5:21 am

Re: 15 months on....feeling homesick

Originally Posted by lisaloo (Post 4698346)
Hi 1st time posting on here usually use britvics but have now found this one too.

Have lived in mornington, vic for 15 months now and loved it all so much we even built our own house which we have been in 8 weeks. But its like reality has really kicked in now i havent anything to really look forward to. I constantly think about the uk and family. I feel that its a better place for our kids but as for us i feel like its boring and our lives have stopped. We have loads of friends and even 2 couples are friends from the uk but I really want to just get on a plane and see somebody and i havent felt like this since we landed. The place is stunnning our house is gorgeous but inside i feel strange and hae even been looking at properties for sale back home.

I feel like moving here has finacially drained us, its not as cheap as exspected and also very lonely.

lisaxx

I really feel for you Lisa, its horrible thinking you have settled, then to feel the way you do.

I really hope its just a phase you are going through and it passes, but if not then can you go home....is it feasable.....there is no point staying if you are not happy.

take care

LibbyX

tani Apr 26th 2007 5:28 am

lisaxx

Hello there Lisa

I know how you feel - well I dont have a house of my own (yet) but i do know the homesick thing. I dint pine AT ALL for over 18 mnths, just enjoyed being here. the difference & chatted to everyone back home, with memories of cold etc. Then I started to think of things I missed, humour, countryside.....I basically got homesick. I went back for a bit to live there, now 18 months after moving back, despite living in a truly beautiful part of Oz I do at times feel bored, that it can be a bit one dimensional. Made brill friends, am single so time on own, cant put finger on it but I think for me, its the lack of variety.......trying to kick those thoughts away.
If you are really homesick - go back on holiday if you can afford to. Try not to get so over it here you just move back - a holiday at least gives you the option.
Do you go to Melbourne much. I'm not a city head but must say going there does really stimulate me - lots of different stuff to see and do.

Hope the homesickness wears off.
PM if you want, just joined and dont know how to yet
Take care
xxxx

LIBBY Apr 26th 2007 5:53 am

Hi Tani,

To PM you click on users name in top left hand corner and list will come up.

LibbyX

RichP Apr 26th 2007 7:18 am

Sorry to hear it.

I advise against going back home for a holiday. Once you go, that'll be it. Game over.

Do you have a job? Try find an activity, sport, something you enjoy to take your mind off things. It helps!

Chin up.:)

tani Apr 26th 2007 8:38 am

Originally Posted by LIBBY (Post 4698500)
Hi Tani,

To PM you click on users name in top left hand corner and list will come up.

LibbyX

Hi Libby

Thanks for that
xx

LIBBY Apr 26th 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by tani (Post 4698962)
Hi Libby

Thanks for that
xx

No worries!;)

LibbyX

stevensfamily Apr 26th 2007 10:40 am

lisaxx

Lisa,

We are a family of four (Kate 11 and Matthew aged 8) looking to come to Mount Eliza area early next year. You are in a beautiful place and your house sounds fantastic and your kids sound happy. What you are feeling is natural, its a need for familiarity when you are down. You have had a project up until now (your new home) life requires constant input and you need a new project, I do not know you so cannot advise but work / study community service / PDSA something that brings a sense of reward would fill the gap. This gap is not Australia its a gap that you would have probably at home but you would fill it going to see family for coffee or chats around neighbors (only if they were free). You are on a new adventure and living life to the full you just need the next adventure.

I have lived all over the world and to be honest I start to feel like you after a couple of years in one place, I know everything in my immediate area, I have started a routine and going to the same shops for food, clothes etc, you have discovered your area and now you need a project new hobby to move onto. You sound like you love your paradise but have just lost what to do next. It is natural to put this feeling down to missing familiar things but in reality you actually need to experience your next new thing.

I too am scared about putting down roots and STAYING. I am going to promise myself to make a list of new adventures experiences to keep life rolling. It will not be home or family that I will miss (I do love my family and am close to them), but the boredom of standing still in life, not having the next adventure lined up. You have been on a rollercoaster, getting a Visa (life long accomplishment), moving your entire life to the other side of the world( major accomplishment), settling your kids into a fantastic rewarding new life (amazing accomplishment), finding and building a new home (major project). Now you are wondering what to do. You have set the bar high so your next adventure should not be backwards to something already known and discovered/ familiar, but new and exciting and rewarding.

You have my utmost respect for all you have achieved and I would love to meet you when we get over and find out what you have discovered achieved by then.

Best of luck and good luck with your new adventures,

Cheryl,

tani Apr 26th 2007 10:47 am

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 4699433)
Lisa,

We are a family of four (Kate 11 and Matthew aged 8) looking to come to Mount Eliza area early next year. You are in a beautiful place and your house sounds fantastic and your kids sound happy. What you are feeling is natural, its a need for familiarity when you are down. You have had a project up until now (your new home) life requires constant input and you need a new project, I do not know you so cannot advise but work / study community service / PDSA something that brings a sense of reward would fill the gap. This gap is not Australia its a gap that you would have probably at home but you would fill it going to see family for coffee or chats around neighbors (only if they were free). You are on a new adventure and living life to the full you just need the next adventure.

I have lived all over the world and to be honest I start to feel like you after a couple of years in one place, I know everything in my immediate area, I have started a routine and going to the same shops for food, clothes etc, you have discovered your area and now you need a project new hobby to move onto. You sound like you love your paradise but have just lost what to do next. It is natural to put this feeling down to missing familiar things but in reality you actually need to experience your next new thing.

I too am scared about putting down roots and STAYING. I am going to promise myself to make a list of new adventures experiences to keep life rolling. It will not be home or family that I will miss (I do love my family and am close to them), but the boredom of standing still in life, not having the next adventure lined up. You have been on a rollercoaster, getting a Visa (life long accomplishment), moving your entire life to the other side of the world( major accomplishment), settling your kids into a fantastic rewarding new life (amazing accomplishment), finding and building a new home (major project). Now you are wondering what to do. You have set the bar high so your next adventure should not be backwards to something already known and discovered/ familiar, but new and exciting and rewarding.

You have my utmost respect for all you have achieved and I would love to meet you when we get over and find out what you have discovered achieved by then.

Cheryl,

Brilliant post Cheryl

Very well put
You could set up as therapist for homesick people very easily......

xxx

stevensfamily Apr 26th 2007 11:15 am

Originally Posted by tani (Post 4699466)
Brilliant post Cheryl

Very well put
You could set up as therapist for homesick people very easily......

xxx

Thank you Tani,

You have to be very careful when people are feeling low and I was worried that I may appear not to understand. Like I said I have moved all over and currently live in beautiful Germany, have also lived in Cyprus and Hong Kong.

New experiences and adventures are like a drug the more you experience of what treasures life has to offer the more you need. Unfortunately once you have experienced the things life has to offer you cannot go back. Lisa has already said she lives in paradise and now she has experienced a different way of life unfortunately those who go home will realise that experiencing the same (familiar) life they used to live will no longer be enough. That is why you see so many ping pongers. Hit a low point and the familiar life you had in UK was safe and "easy", go back and realise it was also "boring" offered no new adventure, for some I admit familiar is safe and comfortable but unfortunately for many its not enough once they have experienced an adventure.

I come from Cornwall (near St.Ives) a beautiful part of the world but I know every nook and cranny and could not be happy going to Halfords when the car breaks down going to Tescos on Sat morning, going to same clothes shops, Barclays in town for banking. I did that for years. Once you step out of the familiar life you realise there is more out there than Lucy's house for coffee on tuesday, halfords for car stuff, etc.

I have questioned myself so many times. Am I a rolling stone?, do I need to have adventures until my death bed?. Well I hope I have searched and come up with a plan. I have had a fantastic life so far and believe me I could talk for hours and hours on my life experiences BUT I also need a settled period for my two children while they are in secondary education. We want roots for a while but Oz offers us the adventure to keep us happy for some time.

As I say best of luck to everyone on their adventures and I also solute those who try but realise they are content with the familiar ( in a way they are blessed ).

Cheryl

mad city fan Apr 26th 2007 11:20 am

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 4699433)
Lisa,

Cheryl,

That was very well said

Weasy Apr 26th 2007 11:26 am

Heavens Cheryl, how well put - both your posts. I thought the same re the OPs post and had thought the same about myself. When we move into our new home and the work on it is finished I shall need a new project or I shall get itchy feet again. I have lived in many places myself and am a rolling stone but I too want stability for my kids for a few years so I'm hoping I can find enough adventures to keep me occupied for a few years here.

Maybe that's when I'll have to start my training in alternative therapies....:D

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 4699560)
Thank you Tani,

You have to be very careful when people are feeling low and I was worried that I may appear not to understand. Like I said I have moved all over and currently live in beautiful Germany, have also lived in Cyprus and Hong Kong.

New experiences and adventures are like a drug the more you experience of what treasures life has to offer the more you need. Unfortunately once you have experienced the things life has to offer you cannot go back. Lisa has already said she lives in paradise and now she has experienced a different way of life unfortunately those who go home will realise that experiencing the same (familiar) life they used to live will no longer be enough. That is why you see so many ping pongers. Hit a low point and the familiar life you had in UK was safe and "easy", go back and realise it was also "boring" offered no new adventure, for some I admit familiar is safe and comfortable but unfortunately for many its not enough once they have experienced an adventure.

I come from Cornwall (near St.Ives) a beautiful part of the world but I know every nook and cranny and could not be happy going to Halfords when the car breaks down going to Tescos on Sat morning, going to same clothes shops, Barclays in town for banking. I did that for years. Once you step out of the familiar life you realise there is more out there than Lucy's house for coffee on tuesday, halfords for car stuff, etc.

I have questioned myself so many times. Am I a rolling stone?, do I need to have adventures until my death bed?. Well I hope I have searched and come up with a plan. I have had a fantastic life so far and believe me I could talk for hours and hours on my life experiences BUT I also need a settled period for my two children while they are in secondary education. We want roots for a while but Oz offers us the adventure to keep us happy for some time.

As I say best of luck to everyone on their adventures and I also solute those who try but realise they are content with the familiar ( in a way they are blessed ).

Cheryl

stevensfamily Apr 26th 2007 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Weasy (Post 4699594)
Heavens Cheryl, how well put - both your posts. I thought the same re the OPs post and had thought the same about myself. When we move into our new home and the work on it is finished I shall need a new project or I shall get itchy feet again. I have lived in many places myself and am a rolling stone but I too want stability for my kids for a few years so I'm hoping I can find enough adventures to keep me occupied for a few years here.

Maybe that's when I'll have to start my training in alternative therapies....:D

Lou
xx

Supposed to be working from home Lou as Matthew has suspected Viral rash / chicken pox (although he has had that already). Poor lad very itchy and covered everywhere except face. 28oC here today and I am at the computer.
Alternative therapies is what my Aunt studied and my cousin has just completed her degree. I really believe and prefer to use these remedies whenever possible before more invasive medical treatment (Kate has allergy to cats and my Aunt gave her bee sting therapy and it worked a treat)

Anyway back to work,

Chat later,

Cheryl

s-jmelbournewannabe Apr 26th 2007 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 4699560)
Thank you Tani,

Cheryl

I'll remember you when i'm feeling homesick....

Lovely motivated answer Cheryl.

S-j xx

tallboy21 Apr 29th 2007 9:24 am

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 4699673)
Supposed to be working from home Lou as Matthew has suspected Viral rash / chicken pox (although he has had that already). Poor lad very itchy and covered everywhere except face. 28oC here today and I am at the computer.
Alternative therapies is what my Aunt studied and my cousin has just completed her degree. I really believe and prefer to use these remedies whenever possible before more invasive medical treatment (Kate has allergy to cats and my Aunt gave her bee sting therapy and it worked a treat)

Anyway back to work,

Chat later,

Cheryl

hey cheryl
i to am a wondering soul with a wife & 2 kids used to live in torpoint (cornwall) now live in brisbane but have got the moving bug again & am dragging them down to south australia

have you worked out how to stop this wondering as it drives my wife nuts
regards barry