13 months in brisbane..

Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

trace141 will become famous soon enough
Default 13 months in brisbane..

Thought i would share my story...i left the Uk with three suitcases and arrived in an empty rental house in Jan 2008 a single mum with two boys aged 11 and 16 in tow and dreams of a new wonderful life...?

After the initial Oh my god what have i done feeling, sleeping on the floor for the first night,dodging the huge cochroaches... trying to get beds/furniture and even a kettle the following day with jetlag and desperation...we sat on the floor and just laughed..so this was to be our new life..?? i was lucky that i had a month off before i started work, little bit by bit we bought the bits we needed even managed to get three matresses in a barina...(thank god for vinnies)..i look back and laugh now..

So far life has been good,i stated work in a hospital in the city and slowly made friends, the boys settled into school and life was ticking along nicely, we started to go camping, fishing and making the most of our new life...it has been far from easy, my sister died in the UK after we had been here for six months and we all got very homesick, her 11yr old son wanted to live with me so he arrived not long after..Immigration were fantastic..then there was three boys, the help andd support from my friends, colleagues, neighbours has been amazing.

My eldest son went back to the Uk in January to start university, but plans to get back as often as he can...would i go back to the UK, i doubt i would ever get the boys to leave, they have made fabulous friends, they love the lifestyle, although i miss my old life, the hustle and bustle of the Uk, it was a stuggle to start my life here but we came through and only now i sit by the pool relaxing, watching the world go by, go back ?? not in a hells chance !!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 13 months in brisbane..

You only have to post it once - updates go in a queue to be checked by the Moderators to make sure it's not spammers

Sounds like you've settled in well. Lovely for you to have your nephew and very brave of him to want to come out here to be with you. So sorry about your sister though, must have been very hard.

Keep enjoying the life
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

suziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nice

glad your enjoying your new life, so sorry to here about your sister but a great big well done for working throught the immigration process for your nephew and what a great aunt you must be for looking after your nephew x
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

trace141 will become famous soon enough

Thank you...it was well worth it...luckily my nephew is a great kid and adapted really well to the Auzzie way of life...he will do well here.

I am so amazed at the support i had from the schools and immigration etc..they have all been really great..