British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   11 Months in........our update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/11-months-our-update-649492/)

OZrisky Jan 16th 2010 2:24 am

11 Months in........our update

It has been almost a year since we packed our bags and said our goodbyes to the UK. We are originally from India but lived in the UK for 6 years. We were happy even in our little town house in Leeds and had fabulous friends and good jobs. Australia, however, was always an attraction to me and we had been planning our move for the 3 out of the 6 years we lived there. So having made the move, what are our thoughts and what has been our experience. Well, first of all I am extremely grateful for having had the opportunity to have lived in 3 countries. Maybe 4 if my Mrs doesn’t threaten to leave me the moment I utter the word immigration :).

We were really lucky as I was offered a role in one of the Big 4 Banks as an Analyst in the midst of all the crisis and landed in Sydney in early March last year. Like everyone else we spent the first week hunting down a rental and managed to find one in Surry Hills. It was a very convenient place and work was just 40 mins walk away. It has some of the best restaurants as some of you might know and needless to say it reflects on my current body weight J. The food in Australia is just fantastic, the variety is stunning and eating out is very affordable. This is in stark contrast to the UK, where you pay loads and get small portions of a not so varied platter. Being vegetarians we were dreading the worst, but out here you just find food to everyone’s liking and preference. So a big thumbs up to Food.

My OH spent the first 6 months applying to every 2nd job in SEEK.COM only to receive an endless stream of rejections. She has about 8 years experience in the Banking Industry but it just dint seem to matter. At one point we felt that this might be the end of her career as your mind tends to think of the worst when it is faced with repeated ‘No’s’. But luckily one application seemed to have landed in the right eyes and she got back to her own field in the same Bank as me. Both were earned independently and we were over the moon with this. So another thumbs up for work.

I have read a lot of forums here and heard a lot of people complain that OZ is very expensive and I agree with them. However, what I don’t agree is that it is expensive compared to the UK. I just think that they must be heading to David Jones. We have found Australia to be cheaper than the UK on the whole. I say on the whole because you do find something’s to be a bit more expensive than the UK but a lot are a lot cheaper here. For instance petrol, Bath towels we used to buy in Debenhams or M&S for about 20 to 30 pounds, whereas here you get them for 20 to 30 dollars. I know the Houses here are expensive, but I don’t compare the prices to houses in Leeds but to London and I think they are still affordable and you do get a lot more for your money. So Finances get another thumbs up.

Beaches and outdoor living are obviously the best parts of the Australian Dream and I give it a thumbs up without justifying it. We are out and about a lot more than we were in the UK. Just get into the Car and visit one of Sydney’s 30+ beaches and pitch our tent and have regular picnics – a luxury enjoyed at the mercy of the Rain in the UK.

Weather in Sydney is great. It was quite mild during the Winters and the Summer hasn’t been too bad thus far. The one off days when it hits 40 makes us feel uneasy and makes us want to fly back to the UK, but then we do try to remind ourselves that biting cold isn’t fun either and just accept that we are going to have to live with this.

Now coming to people, as far as our experience goes both places have been very kind and friendly to us. We have never had problems with the Brits and can’t see having problems with Aussies. Found both of them to be very polite and cordial. Of course the recent attacks on some minorities does create a bit of a flutter in us but we do know that these are more to do with ignorant losers than the country itself.

10 months on we are now living in a water front unit in a superb suburb in the North of Sydney and I have just been promoted as well, so all I can say is that it has been a good move for us. Do we miss the UK? Yes, we miss our friends and family out there, but we do have my brother and SIL out here and are making some good friends here too. UK is certainly not a bad place. I think it is still one of the best countries to live in, but if you feel that you need more sun, sand and open spaces in your life then you are heading for the perfect place. Just remember that it is not UK in the sun as someone on this forum put it. It is different and is so in a good way. You still have to work hard to make the Australian dream come true. In our case it was careful planning and loads of investment on human capital that has afforded us the life style we were after. So please plan well and be open to upgrading your qualifications if necessary. It is a wonderful country and all the best to all those headed this way.

Janna and Nick Jan 16th 2010 8:46 am

Re: 11 Months in........our update

Great post! Thank you.
:thumbup:

nbn8 Jan 16th 2010 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick (Post 8253494)
Great post! Thank you.

Really enjoyed reading your post thanks:thumbsup:

Alfresco Jan 16th 2010 9:40 am

Excellent positive update! We're also not native to the UK and are hoping to experience the same. :thumbup:

ice mocha Jan 16th 2010 10:41 pm

Thank you, that was great! Was expecting to read some negatives... as I have been lately. Was feeling a little down, as we are still trying to put our house on the market, and not sure if I've made the right choice.

Just great to hear from someone who has seen all the positive of the move
Thanks

Derry Jan 17th 2010 6:55 am

Originally Posted by ice mocha (Post 8255039)
Thank you, that was great! Was expecting to read some negatives... as I have been lately. Was feeling a little down, as we are still trying to put our house on the market, and not sure if I've made the right choice.

Just great to hear from someone who has seen all the positive of the move
Thanks

thank you for a great post very informative and reassurring to those of us about to make the move.

aussietobe Jan 17th 2010 9:28 am

Originally Posted by OZrisky (Post 8253104)
It has been almost a year since we packed our bags and said our goodbyes to the UK. We are originally from India but lived in the UK for 6 years. We were happy even in our little town house in Leeds and had fabulous friends and good jobs. Australia, however, was always an attraction to me and we had been planning our move for the 3 out of the 6 years we lived there. So having made the move, what are our thoughts and what has been our experience. Well, first of all I am extremely grateful for having had the opportunity to have lived in 3 countries. Maybe 4 if my Mrs doesn’t threaten to leave me the moment I utter the word immigration :).

We were really lucky as I was offered a role in one of the Big 4 Banks as an Analyst in the midst of all the crisis and landed in Sydney in early March last year. Like everyone else we spent the first week hunting down a rental and managed to find one in Surry Hills. It was a very convenient place and work was just 40 mins walk away. It has some of the best restaurants as some of you might know and needless to say it reflects on my current body weight J. The food in Australia is just fantastic, the variety is stunning and eating out is very affordable. This is in stark contrast to the UK, where you pay loads and get small portions of a not so varied platter. Being vegetarians we were dreading the worst, but out here you just find food to everyone’s liking and preference. So a big thumbs up to Food.

My OH spent the first 6 months applying to every 2nd job in SEEK.COM only to receive an endless stream of rejections. She has about 8 years experience in the Banking Industry but it just dint seem to matter. At one point we felt that this might be the end of her career as your mind tends to think of the worst when it is faced with repeated ‘No’s’. But luckily one application seemed to have landed in the right eyes and she got back to her own field in the same Bank as me. Both were earned independently and we were over the moon with this. So another thumbs up for work.

I have read a lot of forums here and heard a lot of people complain that OZ is very expensive and I agree with them. However, what I don’t agree is that it is expensive compared to the UK. I just think that they must be heading to David Jones. We have found Australia to be cheaper than the UK on the whole. I say on the whole because you do find something’s to be a bit more expensive than the UK but a lot are a lot cheaper here. For instance petrol, Bath towels we used to buy in Debenhams or M&S for about 20 to 30 pounds, whereas here you get them for 20 to 30 dollars. I know the Houses here are expensive, but I don’t compare the prices to houses in Leeds but to London and I think they are still affordable and you do get a lot more for your money. So Finances get another thumbs up.

Beaches and outdoor living are obviously the best parts of the Australian Dream and I give it a thumbs up without justifying it. We are out and about a lot more than we were in the UK. Just get into the Car and visit one of Sydney’s 30+ beaches and pitch our tent and have regular picnics – a luxury enjoyed at the mercy of the Rain in the UK.

Weather in Sydney is great. It was quite mild during the Winters and the Summer hasn’t been too bad thus far. The one off days when it hits 40 makes us feel uneasy and makes us want to fly back to the UK, but then we do try to remind ourselves that biting cold isn’t fun either and just accept that we are going to have to live with this.

Now coming to people, as far as our experience goes both places have been very kind and friendly to us. We have never had problems with the Brits and can’t see having problems with Aussies. Found both of them to be very polite and cordial. Of course the recent attacks on some minorities does create a bit of a flutter in us but we do know that these are more to do with ignorant losers than the country itself.

10 months on we are now living in a water front unit in a superb suburb in the North of Sydney and I have just been promoted as well, so all I can say is that it has been a good move for us. Do we miss the UK? Yes, we miss our friends and family out there, but we do have my brother and SIL out here and are making some good friends here too. UK is certainly not a bad place. I think it is still one of the best countries to live in, but if you feel that you need more sun, sand and open spaces in your life then you are heading for the perfect place. Just remember that it is not UK in the sun as someone on this forum put it. It is different and is so in a good way. You still have to work hard to make the Australian dream come true. In our case it was careful planning and loads of investment on human capital that has afforded us the life style we were after. So please plan well and be open to upgrading your qualifications if necessary. It is a wonderful country and all the best to all those headed this way.

Great to read a post by a person with a fantastic attitude. Hope you continue to enjoy Australia.

Wendy66 Jan 18th 2010 10:17 am

Good honest update, enjoyed reading it.

Best of luck with everything still to come :)