British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   11 months (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/11-months-445034/)

LIBBY Apr 25th 2007 11:23 pm

11 months

Well its now been 11 months on the Gold Coast and I am happy to say we have made the decision to go home.

We are Ping Pong Poms and I did an update at 6 months and everything was great. We had settled and we thought it would be forever.

Probably opened myself up posting on here for some critisism, but if it helps other people them so be it.

We went back to the UK after being here the first time (Adelaide) for 9 months and not settling at all and hating all things Australian and made our decision to go home within 5 months and booked flights ect.

After the decision was made I started to relax and enjoy things a lot more and made a couple of good friends. Thought it was because we were going back and not because we had actually started to like Aussie life.

When we returned to the UK did so via Queensland for a few days and loved the place!

Anyway, we landed at Heathrow with thought in the back of our heads that we should probably have tried Qld and relocated instead of coming back.

For a month it was great being back, but always had that niggle in the back of our minds that we had made a mistake returning.

So, made the decision the to fly back to the Gold Coast and start again there to the shock of my Mum and the rest of my family who were horrified.

Anyway, the first 6 months were great and everything was perfect. Made a couple of really good friends and lots of people I speak to aswell, Kyle loves his school (although his real friends are still in the UK) and Hubby John is settled at work.

So all good you would think and settled and happy......no!!

It took and poorly Mum, a poorly Gran, a poorly Mums partner (15 years together) to make me so homesick for all things English again and its really unsettled me to the point that we are going back when we have enough money (skint as its an expensive hobby). And also, my Mum retires at Christmas and we could spend more time together and she says she will look after Katie if I want to get a pt job.

Its all good though, because although the hubby likes it here, he is willing to go anywhere, and he did say that deep down he knew we would not be here forever.

So really what I want to say, is if you are really homesick, dont beat yourself up about it. Give it time to pass and if it gets worse to the point I am, yearning for home and wishing when you wake up you are there then go home, its not worth it.

If you are just a bit unsettled and not liking where you are, then dont confuse it with homesickness, it maybe just that you dont like where you are and if at all possible....move. It cost a lot less to try somewhere else first than to go back to England and then come back.

Its an adventure, another chapter to look forward to.

Anyway, I will be here for some time yet as I have already said, we are in need of a lotto win or a miracle!

Good luck to everyone else on the migration rollercoaster.

LibbyX

thpinkpussycat Apr 26th 2007 12:58 am

Re: 11 months

Originally Posted by LIBBY (Post 4697639)
Well its now been 11 months on the Gold Coast and I am happy to say we have made the decision to go home.

We are Ping Pong Poms and I did an update at 6 months and everything was great. We had settled and we thought it would be forever.

Probably opened myself up posting on here for some critisism, but if it helps other people them so be it.

We went back to the UK after being here the first time (Adelaide) for 9 months and not settling at all and hating all things Australian and made our decision to go home within 5 months and booked flights ect.

After the decision was made I started to relax and enjoy things a lot more and made a couple of good friends. Thought it was because we were going back and not because we had actually started to like Aussie life.

When we returned to the UK did so via Queensland for a few days and loved the place!

Anyway, we landed at Heathrow with thought in the back of our heads that we should probably have tried Qld and relocated instead of coming back.

For a month it was great being back, but always had that niggle in the back of our minds that we had made a mistake returning.

So, made the decision the to fly back to the Gold Coast and start again there to the shock of my Mum and the rest of my family who were horrified.

Anyway, the first 6 months were great and everything was perfect. Made a couple of really good friends and lots of people I speak to aswell, Kyle loves his school (although his real friends are still in the UK) and Hubby John is settled at work.

So all good you would think and settled and happy......no!!

It took and poorly Mum, a poorly Gran, a poorly Mums partner (15 years together) to make me so homesick for all things English again and its really unsettled me to the point that we are going back when we have enough money (skint as its an expensive hobby). And also, my Mum retires at Christmas and we could spend more time together and she says she will look after Katie if I want to get a pt job.

Its all good though, because although the hubby likes it here, he is willing to go anywhere, and he did say that deep down he knew we would not be here forever.

So really what I want to say, is if you are really homesick, dont beat yourself up about it. Give it time to pass and if it gets worse to the point I am, yearning for home and wishing when you wake up you are there then go home, its not worth it.

If you are just a bit unsettled and not liking where you are, then dont confuse it with homesickness, it maybe just that you dont like where you are and if at all possible....move. It cost a lot less to try somewhere else first than to go back to England and then come back.

Its an adventure, another chapter to look forward to.

Anyway, I will be here for some time yet as I have already said, we are in need of a lotto win or a miracle!

Good luck to everyone else on the migration rollercoaster.

LibbyX

Do you think you may have settled better if you had relocated first rather than ping ponging?

Good luck with whatever the future brings.

Sam

acbh2 Apr 26th 2007 1:28 am

Good Luck with your move back to the Uk. I hope you manage to move soon. I think it takes courage to do what your doing and I hope if I'm ever where you are now I have the courage to come back to the Uk:)

Andreaxx

LIBBY Apr 26th 2007 5:29 am

Hi Sam

I dont know whether we would have settled or not.

I think we would have been all excited for a while and when that initail feeling had subsided then probably no, and still be where we are now....(except better off financially)

Hi Andrea

Will be here for a couple of years yet I think :( .

I am sure if you feel the way we do then you would do the same thing.....whats the point in staying here...unhappily to save face.... you would only be hurting yourself. You will have the courage I am sure, but hopefully will not need it!

Thankyou

LibbyX

JohnandMichelle Apr 27th 2007 10:39 am

Originally Posted by LIBBY (Post 4698463)
Hi Sam

I think we would have been all excited for a while and when that initail feeling had subsided then probably no, and still be where we are now....(except better off financially)

Hi Andrea

I am sure if you feel the way we do then you would do the same thing.....whats the point in staying here...unhappily to save face.... you would only be hurting yourself. You will have the courage I am sure, but hopefully will not need it!

Thankyou

LibbyX

Who knows though, Libby - in a year's time, you may feel different again? Good luck to you and your family, whatever you do. Michelle x

kezzabird May 6th 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by LIBBY (Post 4698463)
Hi Sam

Hi Andrea

Thankyou

LibbyX

I bet by the time you've saved your dosh (in a couple of years) you would change your mind and want to stay.

Fair play to you girl, you follow your heart!;)