British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   10 years in update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/10-years-update-942258/)

Sammi T Jan 9th 2022 12:20 am

10 years in update

Hi everyone, well I haven't been on here for some time, ten years, wow.
We are still here in Australia, near Brisbane in QLD, still loving it here, it's still amazing.
Our son is in the middle of his visa drama, fingers are all crossed for him.
We are in the middle of building our own house now on 2 acres so all very exciting.
Onwards and upwards xx

Stay safe, live life, have fun :)

old.sparkles Jan 9th 2022 12:28 am

Re: 10 years in update

Originally Posted by Sammi T (Post 13087003)
Hi everyone, well I haven't been on here for some time, ten years, wow.
We are still here in Australia, near Brisbane in QLD, still loving it here, it's still amazing.
Our son is in the middle of his visa drama, fingers are all crossed for him.
We are in the middle of building our own house now on 2 acres so all very exciting.
Onwards and upwards xx

Stay safe, live life, have fun :)

Thanks for the update Sammi :)

Good to hear things are going well with life in QLD. Hopefully not too many dramas for your son.

Sammi T Jan 9th 2022 12:50 am

Thanks old.sparkles.
Yep fingers crossed.
He came over on an employee sponsorship pathway to PR, however, they changed the Skills lists so he has to find a workaround, that with COVID delaying everything and putting things on hold it makes it difficult.
He has been here 3 years now, can't really plan his life, he wants to make roots, buy a house etc.
It's a waiting game and he is really positive, he loves Australia and is happy he has been lucky enough to have had 3 years here so far. so fingers crossed it will happen for him.

tomar Jan 9th 2022 1:21 am

Fingers crossed for your son. I completely sympathise as we retired to Australia with none of our children here. 2 of them followed us here later, our son came the student route in his early 30’s, everything done correctly and visa lodged for PR when the government changed the rules retrospectively over night. He stuck it out for a further 31/2 years as he wanted to stay, and was one of the few who had PR granted.
Daughter came the WHV route, not much hope of staying more than a year, but wanted to live in the same country as us, even it was only for a year, due to age. Met her partner 2 weeks after arriving, had to go through all sorts of difficulties including going on the awful BVE, before getting PR. Still together 10 years later.
i hope my two stories give you a bit of hope.
Really hope it works out for your son

Sammi T Jan 9th 2022 1:28 am

Hi tomar, thank you for your words of hope. So happy your son and daughter made it in the end.
We are keeping our fingers crossed, it is hard for sure, we took 2 to 3 years before our PR while in the UK, it was when the hung parliament happened in Oz and everything went on stop and occupation lists were reviewed, the IELTS test brought in, etc.
We are a determined family and push through the boundaries so I am hoping he can find a way. He is 31 now.
Our daughter is in the UK too (29 yrs), she can't wait to move from there.
She was in Sweden/Norway for eight years from the age of 18 and due to partnership breakdowns, she had to go back to the UK.
She soon realised how hard it is for a single person there (never wanting help from us as she has too much pride :P)
And with COVID and her being a full-on coeliac it has not been easy for her.
She met a new partner and is working on moving to her country - Netherlands.
I would of course love her to come here too but they have to find their own way eh.

Sam
x