10 years today!!!

Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:04 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default 10 years today!!!

Wow.....

So life in the UK had kind of fallen apart, relationship had dies, job was uninspiring and I was right on the age limit for getting a workinging holiday visa for Australia (somewhere I really wanted to explore better since visiting briefly when I was 16). I called the Aussie consulate and discovered the only sure way to get one of the visas was to show up in person, so I took a sickie and went in to London to grab one just before my birthday.

A few short weeks later and I had decided there was nothing left in UK for me - I quit my job and picked up a ticket to Brisbane. I had no clue what was waiting on the other side.... I talked to a few locals in a chatroom (technology in its infancy back in '98!) and managed to persuade a young lady to meet me at the airport and show me around Brisbane.

As I stepped on the plane at Heathrow the feeling of freedom was envigorating and at the same time terrifiying - was I embarking on an expensive adventure into lonelyness, or was this a genuine test of character? A chance to find out what I was made of?

Shortly after 7am on 5th August I landed at Brisbane havign smoked my last ever cigarette in transit at Osaka and generally feeling like crap. I got through the immigration controls and emerged to the 'meet & greet area' where an attractive but veyr short woman I'd seen a couple of photos of and had no more than 5 minutes conversation with on the phone approached and said "Hey - you must be Adrian right?".

Stepping out from the airport the sky was grey and cloudy there was a hint of drizel but it was a comfortable temperature. I was shown to a car (a 25yr old clapped out toyota station wagon) and we hit the road with me still kind of dzed and confused with the mental muddle that comes from long haul travel together with the adrenaline of being in a completely new situation.

.... to be continued!!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 years today!!!

Originally Posted by DadAgain

.... to be continued!!
I can't wait!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

Wow

.... to be continued!!
Oh, no! He's making a series!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:59 am

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

..continued....

As it turned out my hostesses (hereafter referred to as 'D') neighbour in Holland Park (inner south suburb) had a spare room and was feeling generous - so I was saved the bother of going to a backpackers place. We tossed my bags down and went into the city to have a look around. I was surprised by the smallness of Brisbane - I expected a city, but found a medium sized town centre. We wandered around South Bank in the light rain and through my jetlagged haze I suffered the perculiarly numb sensation of having absolutely no clue what my life was doing....

Over the next few days I found a room in a shared unit (flat) in Spring Hill with Brad & Charmaine and within 3 days had visited employment agencies and got myself a job in the city with a small 3 person IT company. I worked 4 days week walking to fro and had long weekends often with D visiting various local tourist destinations. Before long I'd settled into a routine, had money to burn (rent was dirt cheap and my tastes are simple). Our friendship grew and even her parents began to talk to me like I wasnt a complete freak.

After a few months my flatmates Brad and Charmaine began to resent my intrusion into their domestic world and tensions began to mount (perfectly normal shared house stuff!) - So I took the decision to move out. D also needed to stop living at her parents so we scoured the rental listings and got ourselves a place - then placed and ad and filled the second room in our unit with couple from NZ.

I changed emplyers a couple of times, each time needing to persuade the new employer to sponsor a temporary residence visa and each time having no trouble. I got myself a small car (Corolla) and our life of weekend explorations and partying continued for quite a while. Things were GOOD!

After a year or two D and I had travelled to Philippines and met her family and back to the UK and met mine and our enviable lifestyle seemed unstoppable. I had (and still have) occasional bouts of nostalgia - but the sunshine, generally upbeat attitudes and kept me happy.

Eventually my ex back in UK decided that renting our old house was no longer working, so we sold it to our tennants (avoiding estate agent fees) and split the money 50/50 - It was the easiest money I've ever made! At that time our friends and flatemates from NZ moved to Melbourne and we found ourselves considering the rent/buy dilema. We looked around and soon found a house we liked in The Gap (leafy western suburb). It meant me turning into a commuter but the space was fanastic and to be honest the 'get-up and go' of city living was getting tiring.

We bought a house (same price as the 1.5 bedroom place in Newbury but 4 bed + pool) and in no time at all had a dog. Clearly I'd settled in for the long haul!

Immigration concerns started to plague me as I worried about future employment prospects if I relied on employers having to sponsor me (I.T. industry was clearly slowing down and Brisabne is a SMALL town IT-wise). Fortunately I had a good relationship with my boss and she agreed to help sponsor permanent residency. There was a lot of paperwork a lot of stressful bureacratic hjopps to jump through but it happened.

In 2002 - after 4 years in Brisbane D and I got married. We sent invites to lots of my friends back in the UK with mroe than 12 months notice so they could plan holidays around the trip, but despite all assuring me intialy that they would come one by one they all backed down. I was disappointed, but it cemented for me that life had clearly moved on. I was in a different place now - and loving it. My family all made the trip for the wedding and despite it being a bit of a squeeze in the house for a while, it was a great day.

.....to be continued........
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Should we get a comfy seat and a cup of coffee?
Seriously, hope you are still in the honeymoon period and long may it continue. Here's to the next 10 years.
Only been here 5 months and it feels more like home than home did! (UK)
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:09 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

..continued....

As it turned out my hostesses (hereafter referred to as 'D') neighbour in Holland Park (inner south suburb) had a spare room and was feeling generous - so I was saved the bother of going to a backpackers place. We tossed my bags down and went into the city to have a look around. I was surprised by the smallness of Brisbane - I expected a city, but found a medium sized town centre. We wandered around South Bank in the light rain and through my jetlagged haze I suffered the perculiarly numb sensation of having absolutely no clue what my life was doing....

Over the next few days I found a room in a shared unit (flat) in Spring Hill with Brad & Charmaine and within 3 days had visited employment agencies and got myself a job in the city with a small 3 person IT company. I worked 4 days week walking to fro and had long weekends often with D visiting various local tourist destinations. Before long I'd settled into a routine, had money to burn (rent was dirt cheap and my tastes are simple). Our friendship grew and even her parents began to talk to me like I wasnt a complete freak.

After a few months my flatmates Brad and Charmaine began to resent my intrusion into their domestic world and tensions began to mount (perfectly normal shared house stuff!) - So I took the decision to move out. D also needed to stop living at her parents so we scoured the rental listings and got ourselves a place - then placed and ad and filled the second room in our unit with couple from NZ.

I changed emplyers a couple of times, each time needing to persuade the new employer to sponsor a temporary residence visa and each time having no trouble. I got myself a small car (Corolla) and our life of weekend explorations and partying continued for quite a while. Things were GOOD!

After a year or two D and I had travelled to Philippines and met her family and back to the UK and met mine and our enviable lifestyle seemed unstoppable. I had (and still have) occasional bouts of nostalgia - but the sunshine, generally upbeat attitudes and kept me happy.

Eventually my ex back in UK decided that renting our old house was no longer working, so we sold it to our tennants (avoiding estate agent fees) and split the money 50/50 - It was the easiest money I've ever made! At that time our friends and flatemates from NZ moved to Melbourne and we found ourselves considering the rent/buy dilema. We looked around and soon found a house we liked in The Gap (leafy western suburb). It meant me turning into a commuter but the space was fanastic and to be honest the 'get-up and go' of city living was getting tiring.

We bought a house (same price as the 1.5 bedroom place in Newbury but 4 bed + pool) and in no time at all had a dog. Clearly I'd settled in for the long haul!

Immigration concerns started to plague me as I worried about future employment prospects if I relied on employers having to sponsor me (I.T. industry was clearly slowing down and Brisabne is a SMALL town IT-wise). Fortunately I had a good relationship with my boss and she agreed to help sponsor permanent residency. There was a lot of paperwork a lot of stressful bureacratic hjopps to jump through but it happened.

In 2002 - after 4 years in Brisbane D and I got married. We sent invites to lots of my friends back in the UK with mroe than 12 months notice so they could plan holidays around the trip, but despite all assuring me intialy that they would come one by one they all backed down. I was disappointed, but it cemented for me that life had clearly moved on. I was in a different place now - and loving it. My family all made the trip for the wedding and despite it being a bit of a squeeze in the house for a while, it was a great day.

.....to be continued........
Did you grow up in Newbury? Where did you live?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:14 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Typical IT bod,gets off plane and marries first woman he meets
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:03 am

...continuing......

Well without going into any more dull detail - we now have 2 kids (girls 2 & 4yrs old) and 7 passports between the 4 of us! (I got the full lobotomy).

Was going to Australia the right thing for me? To be honest I have no idea! Ultimately life here is probably not all that different than it would have been if I'd stayed (or at least returned). Of course somethings here are better than back home (UK will *always* be called 'home' to me), some not so good. I tend to think that actually where I was physically 10 years ago was less important than the mental excercise of changing everything. Had I moved for example to Manchester -selected arbitrarily at random- I might have been able to be equally happy (and still married the first girl who was nice to me! )

I didnt 'give up' on living in UK - I just happened to grow up and grow roots when in Australia! now the logistics of ever returning are sufficienty complex that I dont think we'll ever do it....

Moral of the story?.... nope none - just proof that a spur of the moment decision to head to the other side of the planet can work out ok!

Sure we've had this conversation before - I grew up in Basingstoke, went to uni in Keele, Stoke-on-Trent and ended up buying a small cottage in Speen just outside Newbury (opposite the speed camera).
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

...continuing......

Well without going into any more dull detail - we now have 2 kids (girls 2 & 4yrs old) and 7 passports between the 4 of us! (I got the full lobotomy).

Was going to Australia the right thing for me? To be honest I have no idea! Ultimately life here is probably not all that different than it would have been if I'd stayed (or at least returned). Of course somethings here are better than back home (UK will *always* be called 'home' to me), some not so good. I tend to think that actually where I was physically 10 years ago was less important than the mental excercise of changing everything. Had I moved for example to Manchester -selected arbitrarily at random- I might have been able to be equally happy (and still married the first girl who was nice to me! )

I didnt 'give up' on living in UK - I just happened to grow up and grow roots when in Australia! now the logistics of ever returning are sufficienty complex that I dont think we'll ever do it....

Moral of the story?.... nope none - just proof that a spur of the moment decision to head to the other side of the planet can work out ok!

Sure we've had this conversation before - I grew up in Basingstoke, went to uni in Keele, Stoke-on-Trent and ended up buying a small cottage in Speen just outside Newbury (opposite the speed camera).
Great update - really enjoyed it and glad everything worked out!

Alex
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:24 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Oops....sorry. I remember now....
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Fab update and an enjoyable read, may you continue to enjoy
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great update!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Summer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent update. Well done and may your happines continues forever.
You have summed up your story at the end very well. A spur of moment decision can work out all right. I feel much better now... at times I have those moments of doubts of thinking what on earth are we doing moving to another country.....

I personally moved to UK 10 yrs ago (in Sep 98) from one of the eastern European contries and yes I also married the first person that was nice to me(my husband James) and had 2 kids....but this time around...moving to oz seems harder for me...(sorry I went on a bit...)

your post was very nice and inspiring.
thank you
Eda
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:09 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Shaw before we moved out here , small world

...continuing......

Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by themerlin
We lived in Shaw before we moved out here , small world
Which part of Shaw? My parents lived on Kiln Road and I was living on the Manor Fields estate up until we left.

I lived in Newbury (and Thatcham - ewww) for 29 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.