British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   10 weeks in Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/10-weeks-brisbane-499938/)

bobbyfaescotland Dec 15th 2007 8:22 am

10 weeks in Brisbane

Well so far so good. That's us been here for ten weeks, and loving it.

We have bought a house, arranged for a pool to be installed, I am working in a good job and have just had two interviews for other better jobs. The weather is bloody warm and we are just starting to get used to it. The oldest son has just broken off on Holiday and the youngest (aged 4) is in day care, (I still can't believe that the government are paying 94% of the fees leaving us with $24 to pay for three full day's from 8am to 5pm including all his food) I am not going to argue with the family support dept.

I would advice anyone arriving to go to Centrelink and register, we thought we would not get anything, but after filling in a few forms are getting $420 a fortnight and our child care fees paid. Probably because we arrived in October so up to the end of the financial year from October the family income will be less than $50,000.

I would also suggest anyone who are intending buying, to do so as quickly as possible when they know where they want to live. The prices are going through the roof in the usual places like North Lakes etc. My neighbour bought his house a year ago and it's value has risen by $120,000 since then. Land prices are increasing with every release.

We are probably going to have to break our lease when our house is ready in early January so we can move in, so if anyone is looking for a good sized 4 bedder in North Lakes around mid January P.M me.

New cars are so cheap here, much better value than second hand, our Hyundai was around 25% cheaper than the UK.

The beaches are amazing, Bribie, Sunshine Coast, wow.

South Bank has just reopened and we love it, we get the train into the centre and get the CitiCat over, cheaper than parking the car and less hassle than driving.

On the whole everyone we have spoken to have been friendly and helpfull. Our fridge broke down and I called a number in the yellow pages and he told me what to do over the phone to get it working so saving me the call out costs, you would not get that in the UK.

We have not had to use Medicare or Dentists yet so can't comment on prices.

Anyway I will probably post another chapter when I have been here for 6 months.

Bobby:thumbsup:

mistyxx Dec 15th 2007 7:15 pm

Re: 10 weeks in Brisbane

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland (Post 5671133)

We have bought a house, arranged for a pool to be installed, I am working in a good job and have just had two interviews for other better jobs. The weather is bloody warm and we are just starting to get used to it. The oldest son has just broken off on Holiday and the youngest (aged 4) is in day care, (I still can't believe that the government are paying 94% of the fees leaving us with $24 to pay for three full day's from 8am to 5pm including all his food) I am not going to argue with the family support dept.

I would advice anyone arriving to go to Centrelink and register, we thought we would not get anything, but after filling in a few forms are getting $420 a fortnight and our child care fees paid. Probably because we arrived in October so up to the end of the financial year from October the family income will be less than $50,000.

I would also suggest anyone who are intending buying, to do so as quickly as possible when they know where they want to live. The prices are going through the roof in the usual places like North Lakes etc. My neighbour bought his house a year ago and it's value has risen by $120,000 since then. Land prices are increasing with every release.

We are probably going to have to break our lease when our house is ready in early January so we can move in, so if anyone is looking for a good sized 4 bedder in North Lakes around mid January P.M me.

New cars are so cheap here, much better value than second hand, our Hyundai was around 25% cheaper than the UK.

South Bank has just reopened and we love it, we get the train into the centre and get the CitiCat over, cheaper than parking the car and less hassle than driving.

On the whole everyone we have spoken to have been friendly and helpfull. Our fridge broke down and I called a number in the yellow pages and he told me what to do over the phone to get it working so saving me the call out costs, you would not get that in the UK.

off to a good start well done you :thumbsup: keep enjoying it and keep us updated

was it hard to get you 4 year old in to childcare i though it was really hard and expensive

egghead4 Dec 15th 2007 9:02 pm

brilliant, theres nothing like reading some great feedback:thumbsup:
i wish you and your family the best of luck
keep updating us
bec

comet555 Dec 15th 2007 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by mistyxx (Post 5672445)
off to a good start well done you :thumbsup: keep enjoying it and keep us updated

was it hard to get you 4 year old in to childcare i though it was really hard and expensive

Depends on your income really. I've had no problem getting my daughter in (only for a day a week though). The cheap kindys for 4 year old are almost impossible though and you need to put your kids name down years in advance. The regular kindys that are about $50 a day (before subsidy) usually have some space as far as I can tell.

I find childcare expensive, but that's only because we get the minimum subsidy available. So for us it costs about $44 a day for my 4 year old. If it was just my daughter I wouldn't mind but I also have a 1 year and he's about $50 a day. So if I want to go back to work I have to fork out almost $100 to have both kids in daycare. It would be less if we got more of a subsidy. I'm not complaining though because my husband makes enough that we can afford it, which is why they have different levels. But for me to work full it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dazza49 Dec 18th 2007 5:30 am

Hi Bobby,
Great post and thanks for the advice I went to centrelink today we have been successful in receiving family tax benefit and also child care benefit. So thanks again for the info as we would never of thought we were entitled to anything. They are also back dating our payments to the beginning
of Nov.

Ally

juss44 Dec 21st 2007 12:01 pm

What a great read!!!!!!

Hi There everyone, not been on here for weeks, how is everyone doing?
Has anyone heard from Daunted?????? Did they all arrive ok, can't find her uodate anywhere.
We have sold our house now and hope to be flying to Brisbane on 26 Feb...

Let me know how you are all getting on

:)Juss

Tableland Dec 21st 2007 12:54 pm

I would also suggest anyone who are intending buying, to do so as quickly as possible

Or wait till after the crash...

mindblower Dec 21st 2007 1:27 pm

[ QUOTE]

Excellent ! well done thus far

:thumbup:

donna Dec 23rd 2007 2:49 am

Dont forget they take into account ur uk income prior to coming for that tax year though.Dont want you to get stung
with a big bill at the end of the year.
donna

kerrylana Dec 23rd 2007 9:28 am

What is centrelink and can you get anything on a 457 visa. We have just arrived in brisbane.

kerry

svinnes Dec 23rd 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by kerrylana (Post 5698873)
What is centrelink and can you get anything on a 457 visa. We have just arrived in brisbane.

kerry

Hi Kerry, we are on a 457 visa and have been here 2 1/2 years and we get nothing..... i did enquire when we first came and got told we are not entitled but that may have changed but i havent checked it out again.

Suzanne

brissydeb Dec 28th 2007 4:03 pm

Great post Bobby, hope you continue to enjoy your new life. Look forward to the 6 month update.:thumbsup:

Debbie

Sally Simpson Dec 29th 2007 1:58 pm

Great post. Wish you continued success!:thumbup:

Scotschick Jan 2nd 2008 10:14 am

Hi Guys

Great update. Happy New Year by the way. You were right the weather is dreich. It has rained every day since we got back to Scotland on Thursday night. Can't wait to get home to Brissie on Saturday.

Will give you a shout when we get back and arrange to meet up.

Cheers

Jacqui

bobbyfaescotland Jan 2nd 2008 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Scotschick (Post 5729022)
Hi Guys

Great update. Happy New Year by the way. You were right the weather is dreich. It has rained every day since we got back to Scotland on Thursday night. Can't wait to get home to Brissie on Saturday.

Will give you a shout when we get back and arrange to meet up.

Cheers

Jacqui

You are not missing much, it has rained here every day since you left, windy too, and not expected to get better soon.

Have fun in good old Scotland

Bobby