1 Year in Brisbane...

Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1 Year in Brisbane...

Wow, can't believe it's been a year. Some days it feels like we've been here forever and other days it feels like 10 minutes.

Still enjoying Australia and think we will stay! We've chatted about whether we would ever want to go back to the UK and neither of us can see it happening (never say never, but our lives are here right now).

We've been quite fortunate since we arrived, hubby found a job within a week and half (aluminium welder) and he actually turned down a few in the first month. He's not at the same job anymore but he enjoys the work he's doing and he's recently started up his own business, we advertised in the local paper and have given out a few business cards here and there and so far so good! He's not getting enough work to give up the day job but it's a good side line and we're hoping it'll only get bigger and better.

Me? Well since we got here I put my then 8 month old boy into daycare and started work part time, 22 hours a week for a major bank working for their wealth management division dealing with queries and admin of super and managed funds. Not bad considering I posted a thread not long before we moved asking what super was!! I think my financial services experience in the UK helped me. After working there for about 4 months I was offered the opportunity to work from home, so no more commutes for me! I still have to have the boy in Daycare because I can't juggle a toddler and clients! But it's still nice to have a short walk to the spare room to start my day. But I'm not actually working at the moment because in December we had a little girl

I thought the health care I received whilst pregnant and giving birth to be really good. We're on PR and I didn't pay for a thing (Bulk Billing GP ) and I found all the facilities and hospital to be really good. Only downside to the care I received was the absolute lack of aftercare. Once I'd left the hospital (6 hours after birth, my request) I received no attention from the midwives even though I'd signed up for the in home care. It was a bloody good job I didn't have PND or I would've been severely let down.

Luckily for the birth my mum came over for 3 weeks she left my Dad at home but they're both coming out March '11. To anyone who has family coming over, don't underestimate how hard the goodbye is. When we dropped her off at the airport I was heart broken. I didn't want her to go. It was so so hard

We've got more visitors in September, the OH's mum and step dad, I get on with them so it should be a good visit!

Hmm what else is there? Oh we've made friends, we do the BBQ scene, and now I'm on maternity leave I'm enjoying coffee mornings and lunch with the girls I don't think I'm going to want to go back to work you know...!

We're very happy here and life is good, when the kids are a bit older we'll really get to experience Australia, juggling a 20 month old and 13 week old baby can be a bit tricky. We want to get into camping and do some road trips, but we've got all the time in the world to do that

There are things we don't like about Australia, the standard of driving is shockingly shite and there are mobile speed camera's that hide in the bushes.

Kids clothes are poorly made and expensive.

Not keen on the pubs and taverns, much prefer an English boozer!

If you want a night out your only option is the CBD which is hassle if you live 40 minutes away.

Food shopping is dearer and yes I could probably trawl 7 different shops to get a watermelon but in reality who has the time?

Take Aways are very hit and miss, Indian takeaways are crap, Chinese isn't too bad.

Macca's are on every corner, sometime it's just so easy to grab a a Big Mac...

But there are lots of things I love...

The weather, the beaches, the parks, the free BBQ's, petrols cheaper, more assistance with child care fee's, drive through bottle shops, cheap Tuesday's, the houses, the yards and lots more.

So that's our year in a nutshell, haven't covered everything but the important thing is, we're happy. We love our lives in Australia and we'll be sticking around for the forseable.

Louise, Mark, James & Isabel
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 Year in Brisbane...

That's lovely Louise & well done
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:56 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Wow, can't believe it's been a year. Some days it feels like we've been here forever and other days it feels like 10 minutes.

Still enjoying Australia and think we will stay! We've chatted about whether we would ever want to go back to the UK and neither of us can see it happening (never say never, but our lives are here right now).

We've been quite fortunate since we arrived, hubby found a job within a week and half (aluminium welder) and he actually turned down a few in the first month. He's not at the same job anymore but he enjoys the work he's doing and he's recently started up his own business, we advertised in the local paper and have given out a few business cards here and there and so far so good! He's not getting enough work to give up the day job but it's a good side line and we're hoping it'll only get bigger and better.

Me? Well since we got here I put my then 8 month old boy into daycare and started work part time, 22 hours a week for a major bank working for their wealth management division dealing with queries and admin of super and managed funds. Not bad considering I posted a thread not long before we moved asking what super was!! I think my financial services experience in the UK helped me. After working there for about 4 months I was offered the opportunity to work from home, so no more commutes for me! I still have to have the boy in Daycare because I can't juggle a toddler and clients! But it's still nice to have a short walk to the spare room to start my day. But I'm not actually working at the moment because in December we had a little girl

I thought the health care I received whilst pregnant and giving birth to be really good. We're on PR and I didn't pay for a thing (Bulk Billing GP ) and I found all the facilities and hospital to be really good. Only downside to the care I received was the absolute lack of aftercare. Once I'd left the hospital (6 hours after birth, my request) I received no attention from the midwives even though I'd signed up for the in home care. It was a bloody good job I didn't have PND or I would've been severely let down.

Luckily for the birth my mum came over for 3 weeks she left my Dad at home but they're both coming out March '11. To anyone who has family coming over, don't underestimate how hard the goodbye is. When we dropped her off at the airport I was heart broken. I didn't want her to go. It was so so hard

We've got more visitors in September, the OH's mum and step dad, I get on with them so it should be a good visit!

Hmm what else is there? Oh we've made friends, we do the BBQ scene, and now I'm on maternity leave I'm enjoying coffee mornings and lunch with the girls I don't think I'm going to want to go back to work you know...!

We're very happy here and life is good, when the kids are a bit older we'll really get to experience Australia, juggling a 20 month old and 13 week old baby can be a bit tricky. We want to get into camping and do some road trips, but we've got all the time in the world to do that

There are things we don't like about Australia, the standard of driving is shockingly shite and there are mobile speed camera's that hide in the bushes.

If you want a night out your only option is the CBD which is hassle if you live 40 minutes away.

Food shopping is dearer and yes I could probably trawl 7 different shops to get a watermelon but in reality who has the time?

Take Aways are very hit and miss, Indian takeaways are crap, Chinese isn't too bad.

The weather, the beaches, the parks, the free BBQ's, petrols cheaper, more assistance with child care fee's, drive through bottle shops, cheap Tuesday's, the houses, the yards and lots more.

So that's our year in a nutshell, haven't covered everything but the important thing is, we're happy. We love our lives in Australia and we'll be sticking around for the forseable.

loved it Louise, thanks xxx
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good. Brilliant about the work situation, that seems to be where a lot of people struggle and that makes everything else a struggle.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent update. Thanks.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Loved reading your update x
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Thanks for the update Louise sounds like you are well settled.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:50 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Louise
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Loved reading your update - thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

More, More!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
That's lovely Louise & well done
Thanks

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
loved it Louise, thanks xxx
Cheers SC xx

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Sounds good. Brilliant about the work situation, that seems to be where a lot of people struggle and that makes everything else a struggle.
Yeah, we've been very lucky on the job front. I imagine the update would have been a whole different story if my DH would've struggled to get work. Anyone who goes through that and still see's the positives deserves a medal.

Originally Posted by nbn8
Loved reading your update x
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Kapri
Great post Louise
Thanks very much

Originally Posted by Alfresco
More, More!
More??! What do you want to know?

Originally Posted by MrsE
Loved reading your update - thanks for sharing.
No problem, I remember before we left I used to pore over updates, I'm glad I'm finally able to share one!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:35 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Louise, really enjoyed reading your story ! Sounds like you guys have had a great year.

re: the home visits after giving birth, maybe you were unlucky ? A nurse came out 3 times in the week after my wife gave birth. Like you, we both felt that the whole experience was great and couldn't speak highly enough of the hospital or staff.

re: indian takeaways, these are extremely variable in quality, but there are some good ones around. By and large though, they are different to the UK style.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla
Nice one Louise, really enjoyed reading your story ! Sounds like you guys have had a great year.

re: the home visits after giving birth, maybe you were unlucky ? A nurse came out 3 times in the week after my wife gave birth. Like you, we both felt that the whole experience was great and couldn't speak highly enough of the hospital or staff.
I hope I was just unlucky. I'd hate other women to not receive adequate after care, it's so vital. I just can't believe no one checked on me or my baby, no one weighed her and checked that our feeding was going ok. It was very disappointing especially as the prenatal care had been so good.

Originally Posted by asprilla
re: indian takeaways, these are extremely variable in quality, but there are some good ones around. By and large though, they are different to the UK style.
We've had some shockers since we've been here! We've found one now that's ok, they use chicken breast and not thigh like most I've come across. But the plus side is my hubby has got better at homemade curries, so dodgy take aways are no bad thing really.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

If you like your curries try the Rangla punjab on Rode rd in mcdowall its excellant