Old Jan 30th 2015, 6:46 am
Just Joined

captkw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Pension and US SS - WEP

Can anyone help with a response to 15
Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2015, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

I know the pre-1975 contributions were a 'flat rate', but in my husband's case, those, along with other years of contributions, determined the qualification for his UK pension. His entire pension amount was taken into consideration by US SS. The WEP amount was tiny as his UK pension is miniscule - well below the typical basic state pension.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by captkw
I just found this forum.
As I understand it, UK NI contributions prior to 1975 were "stamps" which were not based on the employee earnings. Is a UK pension based on employment prior to 1975 therefore exempt from US SS WEP?
It should be as the "stamps"/ flat rate contributions were not based on a percentage of one's earnings. This is how I will present my case to the SSA commissioner. In fact, if you have read some of nun's other posts ( he comes across quite knowledgable), an argument can be made that the UK basic state pension is not earnings related..hence exempt from WEP. It is a flat pension irrespective of how much one earned. It seems, no one has ever challenged the SSA's treatment of the UK basic state pension. But it is time someone did!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Much as it pains me to say this, I suspect the totalization agreement will negate that argument. Good luck though!