Go Back  British Expats > Partner Forums > UK Pension Transfers, Home Loans and Financial Advice
Reload this Page >

Should I take private pension out of UK?

Should I take private pension out of UK?

Old Feb 18th 2015, 11:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I take private pension out of UK?

Yes, it will be interesting to see how many audits come out of FATCA. I expect it to strongly depend on IRS budgets and personnel levels....right now all the new regulations are creating enormous amounts of work for the IRS.
Old May 17th 2015, 4:58 am
Just Joined

pippanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Should I take private pension out of UK?

Originally Posted by Gezza
An expat of some 15 years, I have been approached by a Boston company asking if I would like to take my private pension funds out of UK. Unfortunately, my profession is removed from finance and I have little knowledge to judge whether this maybe a good or bad idea. Has anyne else done this? What are the presumed gains in doing this?. I would be grateful for any pointers,,. Thanks, Gezza
Note of warning...I did this myself and ended up losing 125k sterling via De Vere/Hornbuckle/Skandia and a LM Ponzi scheme in Australia. The only person to blame was myself in trusting an IFA who sold me unregulated products.
Leave you pension where it is, it is safe.
Old May 17th 2015, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

NeilBenson is an unknown quantity at this point

I was contacted by a ****** representative about moving my UK SIPP to a Malta QROPS when I lived in the United States. I've briefly returned to the UK before immigrating again (this time to Australia) so I've put the discussions on hold.

The ****** representative suggested there would be a GBP1,100pa fee for the trust, 1.14%pa fee for the investment platform, and a 1% service fee from ******. For my modest SIPP, that's a significant investing headwind that puts me off.

However, I like the benefits of QROPS (esp avoiding UK inheritance tax). So I might wait a few years when I'm in Australia and see how the QROPS market develops. I'd like to see some fixed-fee and low cost providers and hear some positive stories before I commit myself.

In the meantime, I just need to find a low-cost SIPP provider that doesn't go bersek when I move out of the UK and don't have an IFA (as my current provider did).
Old May 18th 2015, 11:25 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeilBenson
I was contacted by a ****** representative about moving my UK SIPP to a Malta QROPS when I lived in the United States. I've briefly returned to the UK before immigrating again (this time to Australia) so I've put the discussions on hold.

The ****** representative suggested there would be a GBP1,100pa fee for the trust, 1.14%pa fee for the investment platform, and a 1% service fee from ******. For my modest SIPP, that's a significant investing headwind that puts me off.

However, I like the benefits of QROPS (esp avoiding UK inheritance tax). So I might wait a few years when I'm in Australia and see how the QROPS market develops. I'd like to see some fixed-fee and low cost providers and hear some positive stories before I commit myself.

In the meantime, I just need to find a low-cost SIPP provider that doesn't go bersek when I move out of the UK and don't have an IFA (as my current provider did).
At 2.14% you'd be a fool to do the QROPS. Take a look at the new UK pension legislation. The new rules have greatly changed inheritance of pensions making QROPS even less attractive.
Old May 25th 2015, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes inheritance or death taxes have reduced from 55 % to 45 % - on pensions - from 06 th April 2015.

45 % of a pension fund being paid in taxes upon death is something to seriously consider especially on larger balances and where the surviving family is reliant on the pension fund being paid in full.

Too many greedy adviser companies out there flogging transfers to make a buck which is why the current crack down being done by HMRC is going on. Those that do not meet the new rules by the 16 June 2015 will be removed from the HMRC List of funds being able to receive UK Funds.

The recent changes to the rules in some cases are increasing the cost of transfers especially where defined benefit schemes over 30,000 GBP are concerned. These types now require a Uk Adviser to provide advice adding to the cost of the transfer.

Always be vary of companies cold contacting you !!
Old May 25th 2015, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john in oz
Too many greedy adviser companies out there flogging transfers to make a buck which is why the current crack down being done by HMRC is going on. Those that do not meet the new rules by the 16 June 2015 will be removed from the HMRC List of funds being able to receive UK Funds.
!
I read it as they must inform HMRC that their schemes were compliant by 17th June( ie the deadline for informing) but compliant FROM 6th April. So, any that fall in the middle may have an issue.
Old May 25th 2015, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is a big grey area - there are some industry fixes for this that are being looked at - and if not then it leaves it up to individual funds to make a decision on their status. Thus even more grey areas.. :-(