Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

want to move to Turkey

want to move to Turkey

Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

sammyh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default want to move to Turkey

Hi all, I want to move to Turkey next year, I have met someone out there & stayed with him twice already this year and plan to go again in a couple of months but i really want to move there next year, I've wanted to move abroad for 3 years but as a single parent have always been afraid but I think its now or never & I'll regret it if I don't go, I've spent the last 3 hours searching the internet for info & i'm getting nowhere, where do I find out basic things such as how to get a Visa? & healthcare & things that are essential to know if I want to move out there?
Thanks to everyone who replies to this thread
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:09 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to move to Turkey

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I'm just having a look round for info on Turkey....I'll be back!

Alistair.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:11 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I just put "Turkey immi" in google. That brought up quite a lot. Did you try that?

Turkey may become part of the EU, that might make a difference.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:15 pm
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by sammyh
Thank you very much
Also..go to the search on BE, choose advanced search and then type in Turkey and select titles only (drop down under, search entire posts). This brings some answers but does include some about food!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

I've had a brief read on an immigration site which says if you are employed over there your employer will deal with your visa etc, so do I need to contact the Turkish embassey myself if I a looking to find work when i get there? Are there any reasons why they would decline my visa? I mean is it difficult to enter Turkey? do they have restrictions?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:31 pm
221b Baker Street

I think the best thing to do, to get your questions viewed, is if I move this thread to the general european section which you can find here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55

If you wouldn't mind waiting a while, I'm sure that someone will be along later to offer some advice.

Can the person you met in Turkey not help you?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

thank you, i've not used forums before, so not entirely sure what to do but needed some advice! He can help a bit yes but his english is limited,
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle

Turkey may become part of the EU, that might make a difference.
Ummmm, don't count on that. A lot of Continental European countries are afraid that Turkey would become a gateway into Europe for Near/Middle East citizens and will vote against....
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, I want to move to Turkey next year, I have met someone out there & stayed with him twice already this year and plan to go again in a couple of months but i really want to move there next year, I've wanted to move abroad for 3 years but as a single parent have always been afraid but I think its now or never & I'll regret it if I don't go, I've spent the last 3 hours searching the internet for info & i'm getting nowhere, where do I find out basic things such as how to get a Visa? & healthcare & things that are essential to know if I want to move out there?
You should probably start here: http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/visa.asp
(assuming you are British).
You should also expect the health care system to be completely different from what you know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Turkey
Although the private health industry has grown rapidly since the 1990s, only about 2 percent of the population, mainly in urban areas, has private health insurance. In 2005 about 75 percent of private health expenditures were out-of-pocket rather than being covered by insurance
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Thank you, for the links I will look at both of those, I am British yes, I've heard people saying that you can pay as you go, 15YTL to see a doctor + treatment & if you have residency its half that? as the private health care can be about £1000 a year is that true? I'm quite a fit bodied 28 year old & very rarely have any problems so wondered if I should just pay as I go? what about Children? my son is 10 would it be the same for him?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Not having lived there, I couldn't tell you. I know with kids, you'll want to make sure you've got resources should he need them.
You're going to have to dig to find some of this info, I'm afraid.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:31 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

hi sammy - my dad lives in turkey between eloudinez and fethiya, there are some schools there that cover the english and american curriculum which you have to do a lot of research there, and also depends on where you'd want to live,
i would be very wary of moving my son to a country such as turkey due to language difference etc, we with my son to crete and it was the worse move ever ... thats only our experience anyway.
i can tell you now that it is very difficult and very expensive to get a work permit they're like rocking horse sh*t and around £3,000 each if you can get one, but i dont know the ins and outs of that one, thats all i know,
my dad will be moving to france next year but if you need any info pm me and find out for you.