Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

Turkey average house prices and healthcare

Turkey average house prices and healthcare

Old May 30th 2012, 5:41 pm
Sun Seeker

evans4190 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turkey average house prices and healthcare

Hi there I am trying to determine weather it would be good to hell turkey my home me and my wife have had many great holidays here but our biggest worry would be the healthcare system in turkey as we have a 7 year old son who has arthritis this is one of the factors for a proposed move with the warmer climate which greatly helps him but does anybody know about the Turkish healthcare? And the best locations to live with the best healthcare? We love fethiye! Also if anybody knows the average house prices or a reputable estate agent that we can contact? Thankyou
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Turkey average house prices and healthcare

I lived in Turkey for a number of years and by my recollection the state health system was terrible and best avoided, but the private hospitals were reasonably priced and the doctors helpful and professional. I left in 2004 though so things may have changed since.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:56 am
Just Joined

tally71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We also love Fethiye in southern Turkey. There is a new health scheme that has recently come into place, where as a resident you pay 212TL per month- (this prices is per person but it is 212TL for both husband and wife, not sure about any cost for your child) to use the private hospitals at a much reduced rate.

We have used the private hospitals and found them really efficient. Will be willing to say more on a private message or over the phone.

We have had property just outside Fethiye for 7 years now and we are currently looking to sell, there is also income potential for you.

Please send me a private message and I will be happy to pass on information about healthcare,(SNIP)
Thanks

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 10th 2012 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

a lot of people have sold up in Turkey and moved to Bulgaria
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:45 pm
Sun Seeker

Originally Posted by clint
a lot of people have sold up in Turkey and moved to Bulgaria
Really? ive been looking into Bulgaria would you recommed Bulgaria? and why is it better than Turkey?

Thanks

Last edited by evans4190; Jun 5th 2012 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by evans4190
Really? ive been looking into Bulgaria would you recommed Bulgaria? and why is it better than Turkey?

Thanks
I have no experience of Turkey at all so I can't comment on Turkey, but in the last 2 or 3 years there have been lots of people who lived in Turkey who moved or were looking at relocating to Bulgaria.

Last edited by clint; Jun 6th 2012 at 10:25 am.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Oceanwide is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Before thinking about moving to Turkey, it is within your best interest to research everything which involves moving to Turkey. There are many families here (British) with children in the local government schools and private schools whom are happy with their choice of school following research. Depending on the age of the children joining the school it can take an average of 6 months before becoming fluent in Turkish and the schools are extremely helpful when educating foreign children, helping them achieve an excellent level of Turkish speech, reading and writing. Regarding the health service, there are several choices you can make with regards to Health Insurance and choice of either government hospital or private or taking out private medical care or opting to register for the Turkish Insurance with SGK. The government hospital (once resident and registered at the hospital) provides you with the same cost of treatment as a Turkish National. For example, an appointment with the doctor at the local government hospital is only approx 15TL once registered. If however you were a tourist, this would be much more expensive. In our experience, I would advise not to worry about the healthcare system, and caring for your son, unlike the UK, you can see a doctor and receive treatment within the same day. With regards to your son’s arthritis condition, this would need to be determined by a doctor in the UK and in Turkey as to the treatment required if any is required. We have had first hand experience with foreigners receiving treatment in the local government hospital whom reported their care and attention was first class. Also the local government hospital within this year has an “international team” whom all speak perfect English and provide you with one to one care and service. They almost hand hold you through the whole process. We are an Estate Agents based in Fethiye, Turkey (Oceanwide Properties) with English and Turkish members of staff, and have many years of experience helping people with their enquiries regarding buying property in Turkey and general services/systems in Turkey. The cost of property varies differently according to area, we would advise again to research all the websites and make enquiries on the areas you most like. You can snap up a real bargain right now in Turkey if you fulfil your research correctly and put your trust into a reputable company whom can help you through the complete buying process. Please feel free to contact us for further information if need be. We are happy to help.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:47 pm
Sun Seeker

Thank you very much for your reply some very helpful advice
Old Jun 25th 2012, 3:56 pm
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to echo some of Oceanwide's comments. My wife recently had a problem which resulted in trips to different hospitals, but people here don't go to a doctor's surgery, they see them in the hospitals. Carol had to see a consultant but it was only a matter of a few days waiting. I recently had a filling replaced at the dentists, I walked straight in, was out in 30 minutes and it cost £11.
I needed new glasses, I had an eye test at the hospital during the day £6, took my prescription to the optician that evening, and collected my new glasses 24 hours later £65.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:12 am
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point

Although it is moving off topic, I would like to comment on the references made to people selling up and going to Bulgaria. When it is said that there are "lots" who have done this, this is anecdotal. As far as I'm aware there are no actual figures available. In the four years I have been here, dealing with people who are buying and selling homes and amongst all those I know socially, I know of only one couple who have actually chosen the Bulgaria option, so to me it doesn't seem like this is anything major. However, someone else may perhaps know of five who have gone there, so for them it will indeed seem like there are "lots".

People who migrate for economic reasons are always likely to be on the look out for a seemingly better option. It is worth pointing out that where somewhere does exist that currently offers a lower cost of living, if the Brits start arriving in numbers it will not stay that way.