Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

Is there any 'best' place to stay while on holiday in Istanbul?

Is there any 'best' place to stay while on holiday in Istanbul?

Old Nov 20th 2019, 11:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there any 'best' place to stay while on holiday in Istanbul?

Going in early June, on our way back to Australia from the UK. We usually stay in an Airbnb place but because it's our first visit to Istanbul we might be better staying in a central hotel? All we really need is somewhere that we can hop on a bus or train to get around as I can't walk too far at the moment. And a few restaurants and somewhere to have a drink within walking distance (the 2020 Ramadan dates seem a bit fluid, in that I can't find any specific info yet). Turkish Airlines apparently have cheap rates on some good hotels, but you can't check availability before booking your flights.

I'll do some research myself but it's always nice to hear from people who really know. Thanks!
Old Nov 20th 2019, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any 'best' place to stay while on holiday in Istanbul?

Yes!
I like Soho house the Gym is proper old school. It is just round the corner from the Mikla Restaurant on the roof of the Mamare Para (do not stay and the Para the guests cant uses the roof garden) When you book at Mikla and you must do so make in clear that you want to have cocktails on the roof garden after dinner. Last time I was in town I stayed at the Fairmont Quasar which was very very good although the price reflected the quality. If you find you can't behave yourself and must party all night, hit Ruby on the Bosphos I have the concierge on speed dial if you need VIP access PM me. Have a nice visit
Old Nov 20th 2019, 1:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiHo
Yes!
I like Soho house the Gym is proper old school. It is just round the corner from the Mikla Restaurant on the roof of the Mamare Para (do not stay and the Para the guests cant uses the roof garden) When you book at Mikla and you must do so make in clear that you want to have cocktails on the roof garden after dinner. Last time I was in town I stayed at the Fairmont Quasar which was very very good although the price reflected the quality. If you find you can't behave yourself and must party all night, hit Ruby on the Bosphos I have the concierge on speed dial if you need VIP access PM me. Have a nice visit
Thanks very much for such a nice post and for all that great info HiHo. Soho House looks absolutely beautiful but to be honest it's a bit too expensive, the smallest room I'd be comfortable staying in is the 'medium', and it's 497 euros per night. Times that by 10 and it's almost 5,000 euros.

I'm sure it's worth it, but after paying for business class flights from Australia to the UK, staying there for 5 weeks, then touring around Italy's Emilia-Romagna region for a couple of weeks, I'm going to have to tone down my Istanbul accommodation a bit otherwise I'll be on bread and water for the rest of the year Dinner at Mikla restaurant and cocktails afterward on the roof garden is going on the list though, thanks for the booking tip!

Lovely offer re access to Ruby, but the husband and I are, well, dinoes so we'll probably be tucked up in bed before the club even opens. Cheers and thanks again.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow you guys know how to holliday!

Last time I was in Istanbul they were doing the finishes to a new Ramada out by the Marmara Sea, on the peninsular the area is not so on trend and its a mass brand offer so it is likely to come in on budget and being brand new wont be a complete flee pit. The view will be great its near the Mavi Cami and Grande Pazar. By way of an apology for tempting you with Mikla which will put a hole in you pocket but be worth every single delicious penny. I offer the Maidens Tower which is a very romantic lunch date on a budget and you get a boat trip as well . I just got a twinge of guilt, I think I should by sharing this with your husband.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

This is from my wife. My wife loves people watching. I'm to tell you about Karakoy pier next to it is a fish restaurant which is nice enough but is a great location for people watching as they file through the ferry terminal. Its called Paradise and she loves it. We once got quit squiffy because she refused to let the waiter know she cant speak much Turkish. I ordered Grilled sea bass green salad and a bottle of Dry white wine, she ordered assertively the same hence we had to drink both bottles.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:13 pm
Concierge

Wow you guys know how to holliday!

Last time I was in Istanbul they were doing the finishes to a new Ramada out by the Marmara Sea, on the peninsular the area is not so on trend and its a mass brand offer so it is likely to come in on budget and being brand new wont be a complete flee pit. The view will be great its near the Mavi Cami and Grande Pazar. By way of an apology for tempting you with Mikla which will put a hole in you pocket but be worth every single delicious penny. I offer the Maidens Tower which is a very romantic lunch date on a budget and you get a boat trip as well . I just got a twinge of guilt, I think I should by sharing this with your husband.
We're having a lovely time spending the kids' inheritance We only fly business on long haul flights, and that's only because I literally can't bear sitting for 12 hours bolt upright. It's torture for me! When I looked up the Soho House website the tariff for our dates was 497 euro per night, but looking on AU Tripadvisor it's only 296 euro, which is far more doable. With the obvious disclaimer that I know nothing at all about the City's various locations, it does seem to me as though Sultanahmet would suit us as we prefer historical areas of a city rather than the newer ones. Any thoughts on that would be most welcome. I'm very glad you mentioned Mikla, we usually treat ourselves to one really good restaurant and then tend to eat at more local places. Maidens Tower has gone on the list as well, thanks! Don't worry, I've already told my husband that he wants to go there

This is from my wife. My wife loves people watching. I'm to tell you about Karakoy pier next to it is a fish restaurant which is nice enough but is a great location for people watching as they file through the ferry terminal. Its called Paradise and she loves it. We once got quit squiffy because she refused to let the waiter know she cant speak much Turkish. I ordered Grilled sea bass green salad and a bottle of Dry white wine, she ordered assertively the same hence we had to drink both bottles.
Thank you very much Mrs HiHo! People watching is something we love to do in a new place so it's great to know of somewhere we can do that. I have no problem with two bottles of wine, I could drink them both while my husband has a beer. Very impressed that your wife can speak any of the language, it would be a difficult one to learn. The only languages I can speak are English and Malay, although I found that Malaysian people can only understand me they're drunk and standing on their heads.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We're having a lovely time spending the kids' inheritance The only languages I can speak are English and Malay, although I found that Malaysian people can only understand me they're drunk and standing on their heads.
HAHAHAHAHA...Sounds like me, A German friend introduced me to a Dutch workmate in the Austrian Alps. We got on well and ended up proper plastered. The next day the Friend said "I didn't know you speak Dutch" I confirmed that I don't. "But last night what were you and Anton speaking" We were both speaking really bad drunken German.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I always used one of rge budget hotels near Sirkeci Station. Handy for the tram. Good budget restaurants all around. And easy access to Topkapi, where i always enjoyed a wander around the grounds.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Wandering around Topkapi I used to have daydreams that I was a "Bustanji" in Ottoman times. Their role was to look after the gardens and grounds. And to put to death those who endangered the Padishah or the Grand Vizier.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
... easy access to Topkapi, where i always enjoyed a wander around the grounds.
I remember Topkapi from my travels in 1964/65. If I recall correctly, there was no bridge across the Bosporus then, was there? I seem to recall crossing on a vehicle-ferry. Did you ever see the movie "Topkapi" with Peter Ustinov? A joy to watch, and highly recommended. It was from a book by Eric Ambler, which I read after I'd seen the movie.

Wikipedia gives a false origin of the name Istanbul, by the way. It gives some folk-etymological guess, but in fact Stamboul (which was how the locals pronounced it - and as it appeared on local maps) was just a Turkic corruption of the Greek name. Adrianopolis became Edirne, and so on. Alexandria became Iskenderun, with the "i" pronounced like the English neutral 'e' sound. I - and I'm guessing you too - never learnt to speak Turkish, but learnt how to pronounce the names of places properly!