British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Turkey (https://britishexpats.com/forum/turkey-178/)
-   -   A New Life in Turkey - Got Some Questions!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/turkey-178/new-life-turkey-got-some-questions-793298/)

Word Bird Apr 8th 2013 11:16 am

A New Life in Turkey - Got Some Questions!!

Hi everyone :)

New to the forum and would very much appreciate any views people can give.
My husband and I have discussed moving to Turkey for some time; personal circumstances mean this may happen a little sooner than planned.
Naturally we have questions and we’re very much at the start of any serious investigations/actions – but I’m a big believer in talking to people who’ve ‘been there, done that’ so thought this might be a good place to start!

Any advice, comments or pointing-in-the-right-direction on the following would be very welcome. :)

Property & Residence
We’re looking to move to the Fethiye area. I’m confident that we could sell our house in the UK and pay off our mortgage, buy a place outright and still have some left over. (We’ve been where we are for quite a long time, so even with the current slump in prices we’ve got decent equity.)
Are there any issues or legalities to be aware of – can we just ‘do’ that? Are there rules on residence?

Business & Work
We run our own business and a significant proportion of our income is from overseas contracts – so moving doesn’t need to affect that. As long as we’ve got a phone and an internet connection, we’re fine! I know there are laws surrounding employment in Turkey, but we wouldn’t be looking for any as such – we just want to continue operating our existing business from a different location.
(The income drop would be ok as we’d no longer be paying a mortgage.)
Does anyone know if there are legalities on this – would we have to register the business in Turkey, or can it stay UK-based? (And then presumably we’d still be liable for income tax/VAT etc under UK tax laws.)
I imagine our bank will be able to advise on issues like whether we need to move our bank accounts or whether they can stay in the UK….
I suppose I’m just concerned that we’ll be able to carry on seamlessly to start with; we can always look at changing things later on if it would be more advantageous.

Education & Health
This is one of my main concerns. I’d always thought we’d move when the kids were older and had left education. Our eldest is nearly 20 and I think he’d stay in the UK, but our daughter is only 13. I know nothing about the Turkish education system, whether there are schools for ex-pats/English-speakers or what the costs are etc – so I really would love any detail about this.
Also when it comes to health/dental care – what are the costs like, do you need to register etc as you do in the UK?

Pets
Another concern…our two cats. I’d hate to leave them. Did anyone take pets with them to Turkey and what’s your experience been?

I know this is quite long and asks a lot of questions….but I’d really appreciate any advice you guys can give.
Thank you!

IAN.K Apr 13th 2013 6:05 pm

Re: A New Life in Turkey - Got Some Questions!!

Originally Posted by Word Bird (Post 10646104)
Hi everyone :)

New to the forum and would very much appreciate any views people can give.
My husband and I have discussed moving to Turkey for some time; personal circumstances mean this may happen a little sooner than planned.
Naturally we have questions and we’re very much at the start of any serious investigations/actions – but I’m a big believer in talking to people who’ve ‘been there, done that’ so thought this might be a good place to start!

Any advice, comments or pointing-in-the-right-direction on the following would be very welcome. :)

Property & Residence
We’re looking to move to the Fethiye area. I’m confident that we could sell our house in the UK and pay off our mortgage, buy a place outright and still have some left over. (We’ve been where we are for quite a long time, so even with the current slump in prices we’ve got decent equity.)
Are there any issues or legalities to be aware of – can we just ‘do’ that? Are there rules on residence?

Business & Work
We run our own business and a significant proportion of our income is from overseas contracts – so moving doesn’t need to affect that. As long as we’ve got a phone and an internet connection, we’re fine! I know there are laws surrounding employment in Turkey, but we wouldn’t be looking for any as such – we just want to continue operating our existing business from a different location.
(The income drop would be ok as we’d no longer be paying a mortgage.)
Does anyone know if there are legalities on this – would we have to register the business in Turkey, or can it stay UK-based? (And then presumably we’d still be liable for income tax/VAT etc under UK tax laws.)
I imagine our bank will be able to advise on issues like whether we need to move our bank accounts or whether they can stay in the UK….
I suppose I’m just concerned that we’ll be able to carry on seamlessly to start with; we can always look at changing things later on if it would be more advantageous.

Education & Health
This is one of my main concerns. I’d always thought we’d move when the kids were older and had left education. Our eldest is nearly 20 and I think he’d stay in the UK, but our daughter is only 13. I know nothing about the Turkish education system, whether there are schools for ex-pats/English-speakers or what the costs are etc – so I really would love any detail about this.
Also when it comes to health/dental care – what are the costs like, do you need to register etc as you do in the UK?

Pets
Another concern…our two cats. I’d hate to leave them. Did anyone take pets with them to Turkey and what’s your experience been?

I know this is quite long and asks a lot of questions….but I’d really appreciate any advice you guys can give.
Thank you!

Hi. I can answer some of your questions so here goes.

Dentist. No you not have to register. Most are pretty good.

Working from Home. Dont know the answer to this.Suggest that you join and Post on www.turkishliving .com They have many members who work from and can advise

Pets. We brought two cats with us.We used Turkish Airlines. One in the cabin on your lap and the other in a HEATED HOLD.

Living in Turkey.If you intend to stay here for a period of time then you need to obtain a Resident Permit.Not difficult but a lot of paperwork,phographs and money.

Do not try to do anything through the Turkish Embassy in London they are not accepted in Turkey and you have to start again and more money.

Education. Lots of International shools in Turkey but dont know about Fethiye.Would imagine there is one as many Brits live there.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Word Bird Apr 16th 2013 2:41 pm

That's great, Ian, thanks so much. :)
Especially for the tip about the Embassy - that would have been my first port of call! :ohmy:

syljen May 22nd 2013 6:01 am

Most shipping companies expect to see your resident permit papers before allowing your items through customs here. I came over and organised my residency paperwork directly here. Then returned back to the Uk to organise shipping and leaving. It was much easier that way and very straightforward.

Word Bird May 23rd 2013 9:18 am

Originally Posted by syljen (Post 10719281)
Most shipping companies expect to see your resident permit papers before allowing your items through customs here. I came over and organised my residency paperwork directly here. Then returned back to the Uk to organise shipping and leaving. It was much easier that way and very straightforward.

That's very useful advice, thank you - I was wondering about the best order in which to do things so that is really helpful.

Nuevo Jul 4th 2013 9:43 am

You should have a residency permit and there are some restrictions on foreigners in buying a real estate in Turkey. Second issue in this vein, you should check the land registry records of the real estate to see the correct legal status (any encumbrances etc.).

Word Bird Jul 4th 2013 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Nuevo (Post 10784130)
You should have a residency permit and there are some restrictions on foreigners in buying a real estate in Turkey. Second issue in this vein, you should check the land registry records of the real estate to see the correct legal status (any encumbrances etc.).

Thank you. :)
It seems as though finding a reputable estate agent and lawyer will be key when it comes to buying property!

gladys72 Nov 13th 2013 8:33 pm

You seem to know about life in Turkey, please advise on Healthcare. We plan to buy an Apartment in Mahmutlar, Alanya and stay there for about 4/5 months of the year. thank you

scot47 Nov 16th 2013 3:14 pm

Schooling could be a problem. There is this -

http://www.fethiyetimes.com/expat-zo...e-schools.html

gladys72 Nov 16th 2013 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10994094)
Schooling could be a problem. There is this -

http://www.fethiyetimes.com/expat-zo...e-schools.html

Scott, thank you for your reply. We are in our early 60's and plan to spend 4/5 months of the year there. We have chosen Mahmutlar, we believe we can join in the community better and have a reasonable network of friends so that we are not isolated. The last thing we want is to feel that we are on holiday but enjoying a lifestyle instead. Our concern is Healthcare. What would we expect to pay and how does it work. We are in good health but one never knows. Ideally I would like to liase with someone who are in a similar circumstance or even who lives in Mahmutlar permanently. Thank you.

tally71 Dec 28th 2013 9:58 am

Hi Word Bird we have property in Fethiye and are happy to pass on our knowledge.

Fethiye is a wonderful place. We know an excellent lawyer who knows english and turkish law- I wouldnt use anyone else.

Please send me a private message and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Look forward to speaking soon.