British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Turkey (https://britishexpats.com/forum/turkey-178/)
-   -   Moving to Gebze (https://britishexpats.com/forum/turkey-178/moving-gebze-917282/)

Wiffy Sep 14th 2018 9:39 am

Moving to Gebze

Dear All,

I will shortly be moving to Gebze to take up an appointment. I would like to live in Gebze to avoid the daily commute from Istanbul. I'm trying to find other people living there or who know the city - who may have information on life, areas to live, housing, banking, transport etc.

Thanks in advance!

Akikasa Feb 12th 2019 3:06 am

Re: Moving to Gebze

Dear Wiffy,

It's been a lot of time but if you still have questions to ask, just fire away. I moved abroad but I can introduce you to people who could be helpful.

Wiffy Feb 12th 2019 7:15 am

Hiya,

Thanks for replying. Did you live in Gebze? Haven't managed to find anyone online who has!!!

Just landed and I'm apartment hunting. Many choices but a huge language barrier - almost no one here speaks English/Spanish/French and my Turkish lessons have just started. If you know someone local who can assist (paid) with this and setting up the utilities - I'd be grateful! I'm dying to get out of the hotel.

Any tips on best bank for the account? I've been warned of high transfer fees to move funds between Rome and Gebze so am looking for the best solution. Language is also an issue here so I've been advised to open the account in Istanbul where there are branches that cater to foreigners. However I'd like to stay as local (Gebze) as possible!

Let me know1

spouse of scouse Feb 13th 2019 1:20 am

Hi Wiffy. Have you approached your employer for assistance with your queries? They're usually best placed to provide advice regarding renting property and day to day life in a new country. You can also Google Expats Assistance in Istanbul (or a similar term), as there are a number of companies that offer services such as these - if you choose to use a company don't forget to do your research on them via reviews. Googling will also find you other online forums with expat members living in Turkey, joining these will enable you to ask questions from other expats in similar circumstances to yourself. My quick Google search found quite a few such forums, the first 'secure' one I found was this although I don't have any experience of using the site https://www.internations.org/istanbul-expats/guide

As with any country, do be cautious when offered personal introductions from people you don't know.

Wiffy Feb 13th 2019 1:51 pm

Hello there,

Unfortunately my employer does not offer this kind of assistance. What I've discovered so far is that local help for Gebze or finding expats who've lived or are living here is difficult. That's because it's not your normal Turkish destination!!

I did sign up for Internations but as they're focused on Istanbul I couldn't find help for Gebze. Most of the relocation companies that I contacted do not offer services for Gebze. I'm using online translations to try to organize myself but it's a struggle. I will get there though and thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated.

Akikasa Feb 13th 2019 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Wiffy (Post 12635894)
Hiya,

Thanks for replying. Did you live in Gebze? Haven't managed to find anyone online who has!!!

Just landed and I'm apartment hunting. Many choices but a huge language barrier - almost no one here speaks English/Spanish/French and my Turkish lessons have just started. If you know someone local who can assist (paid) with this and setting up the utilities - I'd be grateful! I'm dying to get out of the hotel.

Any tips on best bank for the account? I've been warned of high transfer fees to move funds between Rome and Gebze so am looking for the best solution. Language is also an issue here so I've been advised to open the account in Istanbul where there are branches that cater to foreigners. However I'd like to stay as local (Gebze) as possible!

Let me know1

I did not but I had a supervisor who did and I can imagine why you would like to stay there as many of the plants are installed there outside the city and it just ruins your mood to do the same shuttle early morning and late night every work day.

I'm sure I can find you someone who could easily help you out and I sure do sympathise as I had the exact same problem moving to Kiev very very recently.

I'm puzzled when it comes to the bank account issue. Normally your company should guide you to a bank that they are working with to open up a bank account there so that they could have some place to wire your salary every month. The problem with transfers between Rome and Gebze is not so much the transfer fees but rather the annoying fact that it takes 3 - 5 work days every single time for your transfer to arrive on your bank account here unless you pay your Italian bank additional money for express wires. I've worked with 5-6 banks in my time in Turkey so my suggestion is for you to first look for the bank branches nearby your work place and tell me their names so I can guide you to the one with most practical solutions. Once you have an account, we'll get you to use their Internet branch so you won't have to wait in line and explain yourself every time you want to do the smallest thing with your accounts.

Akikasa Feb 13th 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12636365)
Hi Wiffy. Have you approached your employer for assistance with your queries? They're usually best placed to provide advice regarding renting property and day to day life in a new country. You can also Google Expats Assistance in Istanbul (or a similar term), as there are a number of companies that offer services such as these - if you choose to use a company don't forget to do your research on them via reviews. Googling will also find you other online forums with expat members living in Turkey, joining these will enable you to ask questions from other expats in similar circumstances to yourself. My quick Google search found quite a few such forums, the first 'secure' one I found was this although I don't have any experience of using the site https://www.internations.org/istanbul-expats/guide

As with any country, do be cautious when offered personal introductions from people you don't know.

Hi SoS,

I actually worked for one of those relocation companies between 2014 - 16 (9 Ekim Group) and I know how they work: They have a portfolio of houses along the Bosphorus strait in posh neighborhoods like Bebek and Sarıyer and they try to convince you that it's better for you to live there with other expats but the reality is that they want it because the rental fees for those are exorbitant. [I worked in the pet relocation department] I meant introducing to one of my friends who still live there on the Asian side like the software engineer in Riot Games or a medical student but I realise how dodgy it sounds since I doubted every person who says "we can sort it out" while searching a place in Kiev.

varmiz Jul 19th 2019 8:17 am

Hi i am from gebze and i am local. İf you have any problem about living here still you can write me :) <snip> see you ...

bongwei Mar 8th 2020 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Wiffy (Post 12563119)
Dear All,

I will shortly be moving to Gebze to take up an appointment. I would like to live in Gebze to avoid the daily commute from Istanbul. I'm trying to find other people living there or who know the city - who may have information on life, areas to live, housing, banking, transport etc.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Wiffy,

I’m considering a job opportunity in Gebze and have come across your post. Would you be able share how expat life is over there?

Thank you in advance for any information you can share.

Best

scot47 Mar 8th 2020 8:49 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebze#..._districts.png

My experience in Turkey (1991 - 2011) was that English is not widely understood or used away from Istanbul and the tourist areas.

I did not live there but stopped off on my travels between Bulgaristan and Suudi Arabistan.

Folls Aug 28th 2020 6:52 am

Hi Wiffi,

I found your post as I was looking for info since there is a chance I will be moving to Gebze in the next months. How was your experience in the end? Any insights you could share?
thanks!

lola1979 Aug 30th 2021 1:41 pm

Hello, I found this post online in my search for information about Gebze. I will be moving to Turkey to take up a job in Gebze later this year/early 2022 and based on my current research, I would prefer to live in the Gebze area, since I will not have a car. My research, however , has not helped me to determine the ease of transport around Gebze.
I know that I will have to take a taxi to the office location- I need to know if I will be able to call a taxi from my home that will pick me up and take me to my destination?
(Is taxi available from the new developments like Emlak Housing?).Can anyone assist with these query?

Thank you.

christmasoompa Oct 1st 2021 12:00 pm

This thread is from 2018 and 'Wiffy' hasn't logged in to the forum in two and a half years. If you have queries regarding a move to the area, please do start your own new thread.

Thx.