Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

Ever vacationed in Turkey??

Ever vacationed in Turkey??

Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:04 am
Needs the SUN

bostonlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ever vacationed in Turkey??

If you have vacationed in Turkey, can you tell me if you truly find it secular?
We are on a fact finding mission about long stays in Turkey. The Izmir / Bodrum area.

Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Armchair Traveller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ever vacationed in Turkey??

I have been to Turkey. I am more familiar with Kusadasi than Bodrum although I have visited Bodrum. You will find Bodrum to be a typical cosmopolitan seaside resort popular with Northern Europeans, especially British people. Staff in shops, hotels and restaurants speak English (and probably French and German too). It is quite similar to many of the Spanish Costa resorts.

I'm not sure what you mean by "truly secular" but you will find Western style dress and behaviour to be the norm in most of the Turkish holiday resorts. You won't find many restaurants serving pork but some do. When visiting mosques you will, of course, be expected to dress modestly.

Many Americans visit Turkey. Kusadasi (north of Bodrum and south of Izmir) is a port of call for cruise liners because of its proximity to Ephesus.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 11:44 am
Just Joined

LindseyJane is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just come back to the UK after living 6 years in Turkey. It is a fabulous place.
Bodrum is very much a tourist resort. I lived a little lower down the south west coast in Fethiye. This a a real Turkish town which, although tourism is a major income provider 46% is also achieved through agriculture.
The whole of Turkey is a large outdoor museum and the landscape is phenomenal. Fethiye has its own Lycian tombs overlooking the habour and there are at least 6 archialogical sites nearby. Olu Deniz (the most photographed place in Turkey) is only 15 minutes from Fethiye Town. You are have Calis Beach 15 minutes the other way.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:21 pm
Sun Seeker

evans4190 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have travelled to Turkey on numerous occasions and my favorite place by far was Fethiye and Olu Deniz and if it's spectacular then Olu Deniz is just beautiful! but if you want long term i think Fethiye would suite
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:02 am
Just Joined

tally71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have been visiting the Fethiye area for around 7 years now and have found the people welcoming. We have property just outside Fethiye and locals often give us food from their fields or trees.

Most people dress in a western style clothing. The weather is sunny and warm, the food delicious and with many beautiful places to see and visit, Patara and Olu Deniz beach, Saklikent Gorge, boat trips from Fethiye, archaelogical places of interest. There is a relaxed atmosphere around Fethiye.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've visited Turkey 5 different times, and have been to Istanbul, Ankara, Antalya, Marmaris, Kas, and the Cappadocia region. I loved every part of Turkey, and saw plenty of people dressed in typical western clothing, and plenty of people dressed in more Islamic clothing. If you are a woman, I suggest erring on the side of being more conservative (i.e., no sheer sleeveless tops, and no shorty shorts).

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:14 am
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I have lived in Didim for 4 years, and in answer to the original question, yes we have found it to be truly secular.
Seaside resorts are always going to be rather different to the areas where tourists don't go, so a common sense approach is best.
A woman wearing a bikini sitting in a bar on the seafront would not raise an eyebrow, but in one of the bars in the more residential areas it wouldn't be
acceptable.
Some shops will not allow people in if they are not properly dressed (men included), which basically means wearing a top. My wife favours short skirts and it has never been an issue anywhere.
Religion barely touches our daily lives. There is the call to the mosque at different times, but that isn't any more of an intrusion than church bells ringing. I work with Turks and Kurds, and on a Friday some (but not all of them) go to the mosque for an hour, and that's it really.
Some of the older Turkish women wear traditional dress, but the vast majority of the younger ones wear western clothing.
Turkey is a big country and of course it will be different in different areas, but I don't think you would find Bodrum or Izmir to be much different.
From my limited experience, Turks are more sensitive about their nation than about their religion.