Datca - Turkey

Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road
Default Datca - Turkey

Has anyone been to Datca?

Can you tell us about it please if you have?

The usual things:

Standard of living , fast internet etc

TIA.

TD
Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

britinturkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Datca - Turkey

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Has anyone been to Datca?

Can you tell us about it please if you have?

The usual things:

Standard of living , fast internet etc

TIA.

TD
hi

datcha is a very nice place. But are you thinking for holiday or to live perm
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britinturkey
hi

datcha is a very nice place. But are you thinking for holiday or to live perm
Thanks for your reply.

I am hoping to live there. Is it not suitable for that?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:47 am
Just Joined

sun seeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there I'm new here but spotted your post. Perhaps you have made your decision by now and I hope you have visited Datca.
Over the past 16 years I have spent a lot of time there but could not live there full time. You really need to visit a couple of times in winter and summer to make your decision. It is a little working harbour town with very few ex pats, although in recent years that number has grown considerably but still under 100 full time ex pats I think. There are very few Uk package companies going there and that is one of it's attractions for me. It is very much a resort for Turkish families. They arrive from the big cities in June and return at the end of August, the rest of the time it is very quiet. The scenery is stunning and the air and water quality one of the best in the world. I'm told by my neighbours that Datca is quite an expensive place to live compared to other resorts. In recent years prices for food etc do seem to have gone up considerably. I assume it's partly because Datca is an out of the way place either 2 hours by ferry from Bodrum or just over an hour by road from Marmaris.
My reasons for not wanting to live there full time are because it's my bolt hole, I would be unable to work there, it has an island mentality being on a long peninsula (they call it half island) and so everyone knows or tries to know your business, the weather in winter can be unpleasant- stormy and cold, in the past there has been a lot of corrupt goings on, shopping is very limited, in winter there is little or no entertainment and I would miss theatre, cinema etc. I notice you asked about internet. There are several internet cafes and i have wireless connection but it is very erratic and trying to get the company to see to it is very difficult and we can be without it for days on end.
However I love spending spring and summer months there because of the wonderful weather, the scenery, the good friends I have made and the fun.

Last edited by sun seeker; Jul 17th 2009 at 8:50 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for your thorough insight about life in Datca - I found it very informative - sorry about the late reply BTW.

Going by what you said I don't think Datca would be on the list of places where I would like to live in - I am really not a nature person, I am more of a city guy where my relaxation would be from hearing the noise of the traffic and the surroundings ---- perhaps a place like Crete or Rhodes would be more like I would be looking for - have you been to these places at all? If yes I would like to know your opinion if you could spare the time?

Thanks again for your time.

Regards,
TD.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for your thorough insight about life in Datca - I found it very informative - sorry about the late reply BTW.

Going by what you said I don't think Datca would be on the list of places where I would like to live in - I am really not a nature person, I am more of a city guy where my relaxation would be from hearing the noise of the traffic and the surroundings ---- perhaps a place like Crete or Rhodes would be more like I would be looking for - have you been to these places at all? If yes I would like to know your opinion if you could spare the time?

Regards,
TD.
I wouldn't recommend Rhodes for you, based on what you say. It's pretty nature heavy too. And not much city.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
I wouldn't recommend Rhodes for you, based on what you say. It's pretty nature heavy too. And not much city.
Oh dear, I was under the impression that Rhodes was one of the liveliest places on earth by what some ppl in the forum were saying - so we shall cross this one out as well
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear, I was under the impression that Rhodes was one of the liveliest places on earth by what some ppl in the forum were saying - so we shall cross this one out as well
As for Crete , it is more of a summer place as well. Although it is better than it used to be regarding flights, the main season is summer, few flights in the winter and most places shut down. If your looking to move there then I would say start looking at Elunda and that end of the Island the other end of the island tends to be quieter.

If your looking for a place with all yr round prospects your looking at Spain and the island, Teneriffe has a mixed quality depending on where you go.

Last edited by jay01; Sep 16th 2009 at 4:49 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Jay for sharing your knowledge
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:14 am
Just Joined

deniserose is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards,
TD.
If you are a city guy then I would suggest you Antalya..Have you ever been to Miami? Antalya is a city like Miami where you can find sun beautiful beaches,hotels, good restaurants serving both traditional and international foods and good clubs playing all kinds of music...

I have lived in US sometime then I have lived in Germany and now I have been living in Antalya for one year now

It is a place where you can enjoy the nature and city inside...

the population is 1 million, it is higher in the summer because of tourism =)

You can find both high apartments and two stairs houses...
(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 18th 2009 at 4:31 pm.