Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

Can someone assist with selling in Turkey please?

Can someone assist with selling in Turkey please?

Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Kiddo 123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can someone assist with selling in Turkey please?

Hello all.

This is a story that might be of interest.

My brother who is ten yrs older than me loves Turkey. We have all been there and love it too.

Bro bought a lovely place overlooking the Marina in Kusadasi about six years ago. Mostly Turkish living there, but a few non. Security, pool, the works, dolmus outside the door, ten minutes or so to the centre. great so far.

Bro then got a job in US and rented the place for a year. Never got rent, took three years with court and legal etc to get them out, no rent paid apart from first two months.that was it. It has been a lesson learned. No one could use the place whilst the errant tenants were being pursued, they stayed and brazened it out.

Sorry for the long post, but now its for sale. We all still love Turkey, but will go package from now on.

The house is on the market one year, and nothing.

Can anyone recommend what to do to shift it? The price is 99k euros for a four bd, three bath, fully secured semi detached villa practically in the centrum. Maybe the price is too high? But looking at websites it is a bargain for what it is. Fully furnished too.

Should he put it on the right move? I suppose so. No worries, just looking for other experiences!

Thanks for reading.

Kiddo.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:17 am
Just Joined

tally71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can someone assist with selling in Turkey please?

I was sorry to hear that your brother had such problems.

Since May when the new law was passed in Parliament to allow potentially another 89 countries to buy in Turkey, countries that currently do not have reciprocity - which could be great news for your brother, countries such as Russia, The Middle Eastern countries.

However, the new law has not been implemented yet and not sure how long it will take before it will be in place.

Why is the price in Euros? If you are looking at the UK market with right move that maybe a better option. I think the market is slow currently due to recession, but is very likely to pick up once new people can buy in Turkey. I dont know Kusadasi area, what demographic of people visit there - mainly British or other Europeans?

Hope he does manage to have some success soon.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tally71
I was sorry to hear that your brother had such problems.

Since May when the new law was passed in Parliament to allow potentially another 89 countries to buy in Turkey, countries that currently do not have reciprocity - which could be great news for your brother, countries such as Russia, The Middle Eastern countries.

However, the new law has not been implemented yet and not sure how long it will take before it will be in place.

Why is the price in Euros? If you are looking at the UK market with right move that maybe a better option. I think the market is slow currently due to recession, but is very likely to pick up once new people can buy in Turkey. I dont know Kusadasi area, what demographic of people visit there - mainly British or other Europeans?

Hope he does manage to have some success soon.
Many thanks for your reply. Yes, first thought was market to the Russians! Some of them are very wealthy! But soon realised the law is not operative yet, but maybe soon...

The price is euros because we are from Ireland, and in the Euro.

There are some Nordic people there, and irish and British. But Irish have no money now, our economy is in the loo. so that may be Not be an option. Need to find a website that bro can understand in Scandinavia! He is so far away and busy, has asked me to do some digging for him.

The right move has several packages for marketing your foreign property, so he might just do that, and tell the agent in Kusadasi too!

Cheers again for taking the time to reply. Appreciated.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:17 am
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point

Right move is quite expensive to use, and of course there are no guarantees that it will bring a sale(if you look at the page there for Kusadasi properties there are only a few agents advertising). Also it is aimed primarily at UK buyers, and there are not so many of those at the moment.
If a property is unsold after a year, then that would suggest to me that either the asking price is too high and/or it isn't being offered to enough buyers.
Is it just with one agent? If so then circulate the details to some others and see if they find a buyer. You only have to pay commission to the agent who actually sells it.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:10 am
Banned

Chocolatecake is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you sold your property yet?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:46 am
UK Expat Turkey

Originally Posted by Chocolatecake
Have you sold your property yet?
Being as how property had been on the market for a year without success, and that the original post was only 9 days ago, they will have done very well to have sold it since.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Paul928 is an unknown quantity at this point

Only just joined but lived in Kus for a year, then Tunisia, then Kos, then Majorca, I would say that you should use all available options, cant find a link in your posts to the property involved so that would be good to do and then post the same on every website/forum/blog that you can find.

You never know who might be interested, the other thing you can do is set up a little website for the property can be done on the cheap (guess what I do...website design) not the reason for posting though just an idea.

The rightmove thing is also a good idea, people in the UK 'TRUST' rightmove as they are well known and when searching for property in Turkey its easy to find tons of properties but difficult to know if the property is actually availble as resellers and 3rd party websites can leave stuff on for years.

Its always better to find an agent you an trust, find one, then do a search for them, no doubt you find if they are any good or not.

As we would all do in the UK, do the same overseas.

Best of Luck.

Paul
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:45 am
UK Expat Turkey

In terms of selling in Turkey, then the same does not apply as in the UK or in any other country because Turkey has it's own laws. If you choose to advertise at Rightmove or anywhere else as a private seller then you must be able and capable of seeing the sale through yourself in terms of arranging visits and arranging for the due process of a property transaction, and the buyer will also have to be well informed as to what is involved and how to go about it. Rightmove may or may not be be trusted as a source but they will not help you with the actual sale.

Having a website for one property is an option but bear in mind that are billions of websites out there and the chances of yours being found can be pretty low. If it is on page 100 of a Google search then no-one is ever going to see it, however good it may look to you. An agent should already have a site that features well on searches, so that there are more chance of your home being seen.; and you will still have the same potential problems as with advertising anywhere else when it comes to the mechanics of the transaction.

We do not sell homes in Kusadasi so I have no vested interest. I would suggest that if you are there you make a cd with some good quality photos (taken during the summer) and with your own written description and take it to a any number of local agents. If you aren't there then you can do the same thing by email, just search online for agents in the area and they will have a contact email address on their websites.

However, I still feel that price is probably the issue here.

Last edited by ozsubasi; Aug 4th 2012 at 7:49 am.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all (genuinely), for your replies, it is very much appreciated.

Paul and ozsubasi, having a big think as we speak, about what you both said.

The price has already been reduced by 30k euros. Other properties for sale in the area, same sq footage and layout are 20k more expensive, but who is to say they havent also been lingering on the market too.

Re the right move, I haven't discussed this with bro yet, he is due back from States in a few weeks, and I haven't researched how it operates, but if we are required to go to Kus every time someone shows an interest then it won't work out. Still, if we got any response I suppose we could refer to the current agent.

@ ozsubasi, if we put the property with multiple agents, I'm sure they will all charge for marketing, even though they won't get commission unless they sell it. That could turn out to be a hefty xpense, but might be worth it with one or two more on board.

I, with my family will be going to Kus in Sept and bro will join us for a few days so a big think is required here, and a bit of research into how right move operates re foreign properties!

Thks again folks.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:28 am
UK Expat Turkey

Originally Posted by Kiddo 123
@ ozsubasi, if we put the property with multiple agents, I'm sure they will all charge for marketing, even though they won't get commission unless they sell it. That could turn out to be a hefty xpense, but might be worth it with one or two more on board.
Nope, unless they are the exception to every agent I know. You should not pay anything for anything unless they get a sale for you.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say this has to be done locally - by a Turkish agent.