Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Yet another trucker wannabe

Yet another trucker wannabe

Old Apr 6th 2013, 8:57 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Yet another trucker wannabe

Originally Posted by grant r
But is your insurance not cheaper because you are not a newbie to canada? Wouldn't it be dearer for a newbie until he had built up some history or no claims discount?
insurance is dearer when you first come over and does go down every year. there are some companies that do take your uk history in to account but you need all your paperwork from your uk insurance company and your driver history from dvla (it costs about £5). but it will never be as cheap as at home, my first insurance for a 09, chrysler sebring 2.7 v6 was $4001
Old Apr 6th 2013, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another trucker wannabe

Yup that's Ontario for you . However for those living outside of "the center of the universe" insurance is reasonable . We got our Blazer done in 06 for $800 , nowadays it's an F150 (new) for 900 with the protected package , the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 for 800 again protected, and the BMW for $100 a month during the summer . If you take into consideration the lack of road tax and MOT's I'd call it cheap motoring .
Old Apr 7th 2013, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

If you take into consideration the lack of road tax and MOT's I'd call it cheap motoring .[/QUOTE]
Wow you don't pay road tax or mot's never new that
Old Apr 7th 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

spacemonkey will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the replies so far guys and girls.

As it stands we are currently looking into two possible locations Winnipeg or Calgary purely based on potential job locations. My understanding is that is my partner does not get a inter-company transfer then she would require a work permit which leaves us with Alberta. If however she can get an inter-company transfer then it would be either of the two hopefully.

We are more than happy with making the move but it really does depend on getting her out and working really. She has been in contact with her collegues over there and they are getting some gears greased in terms of if where and when. The 2nd income would negate a major risk for us so its fairly essential really with four of us coming over. We are estimating to bring around £15k, as we are not confident enough not to leave a parachute fund back in blighty should it all go wrong.

As for me i have a few tentative pokes in the direction of the LMO companies, Bison, Westcan, siemens and H+R. So far i have had a response from Bison and thats about it, I have of course heard read and re read the good the bad and the ugly in regards to the other guys.

Bison seem to be the better option in terms of working conditions, but i am unsure at the moment if they are still charging $k's for the process. In the informative paper work i have so far there is no sign of this. Lyndon from H+R (who by all accounts has not had a happy relationship with this site) has not replied to me at all. So i am not sure about the process in their respect and likewise for the others. I understand from some peoples postings that Bison slip seat a lot which is not something i am keen on at all. At the end of the day i feel that if i am spending more time in a truck i would like that to be as homely as possible, this is not possible slip seating.

So in short we are hoping/looking at making rental (home) arrangements while we are still here as best we can. So after arriving we can essentially either move straight into a home and or have a handful lined up for viewing then pick one and bob's you uncle. It would seem that the prices in AB seem to be alot cheaper than MB.

Car insurance i think its without doubt an option to get the NCB written down, to see if that aids in reducing the expenditure.

One question i do have is in regards to PR. Am i correct in thinking that you can apply for PR yourself but you have to get in effect an approval from your employer to do this, or is this only in AB?
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Bison usually slip seat if you take more than your 2days reset but iirc from friends you are supposed to take most of your stuff out and not leave them in cab until you have your feet under the table..
note remember Bison are a massive company.
Car insurance its
not NCB its number of yrs accident free!!
PR in MB is your own affair ,letter after 6months from company saying they would offer you a full time job would get you into the MB PNP also.
jimmy
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arniedog
insurance is dearer when you first come over and does go down every year. there are some companies that do take your uk history in to account but you need all your paperwork from your uk insurance company and your driver history from dvla (it costs about £5). but it will never be as cheap as at home, my first insurance for a 09, chrysler sebring 2.7 v6 was $4001
Ouch they saw you coming I paid $1100 for a soronto 3.8 v6 but that was in alberta
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Red1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband & I are over for a 2nd time. We are applying for our AINP this month. We came over with no more then 10k and are and have been managing ok but just make sure you don't go silly and want all the big cars, large houses etc straight away... be realistic in your budget. Allow for deposit for mobile phones, utility bills & buy car out right. Your first start up cost can seem high.

We also have good insurance for 2 cars & house contents for only $108 per month, having a no claims from the UK help a great deal so make sure you bring a copy. Also getting everything insured with same company will reduce interest if paying monthly.

Also defo take the advice to do the IELTS before you come over. Places are restricted & cost high.