Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Is it worth doing class one?

Is it worth doing class one?

Old Nov 29th 2023, 2:48 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 24
krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth doing class one?

Afternoon all,

Still looking into moving across to Canada (still working on the wife), over in the UK I have had my class 2 licence for about 10 years now but never did my class one due to not needing it in my line of work (traffic management).

Is it worth doing class 1 over here if I would have to do it all again over in Canada anyways?

Thanks in advance
krazylegz is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2023, 4:58 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,025
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Which visa route?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 8:52 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 24
krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Which visa route?
Morning, was looking into the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP)
krazylegz is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 1:19 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,025
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by krazylegz
Morning, was looking into the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP)
Which stream? I'm just trying to work out if you'll need Class 1 experience to qualify for the visa - in other words, would you be applying on your own merits (i.e. EE stream, no job offer required), or with a job offer and if so, for which job (i.e. Alberta Opportunity Stream).

christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 1:51 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 24
krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Which stream? I'm just trying to work out if you'll need Class 1 experience to qualify for the visa - in other words, would you be applying on your own merits (i.e. EE stream, no job offer required), or with a job offer and if so, for which job (i.e. Alberta Opportunity Stream).
Was looking at the EE option since the CRS score is quite low for Alberta compared to other provinces. As i say I have 10 years of class 2 experience, but none of class one.
krazylegz is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 2:20 pm
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,025
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by krazylegz
Was looking at the EE option since the CRS score is quite low for Alberta compared to other provinces. As i say I have 10 years of class 2 experience, but none of class one.
OK. So your Class 1 isn't relevant to the visa, and you may as well wait to get to Canada to do it then.

It does have a lower points requirement, but only for those who meet one of the fairly narrow criteria for selection. Do you have family there? What is your NOC code?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 2:35 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 24
krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK. So your Class 1 isn't relevant to the visa, and you may as well wait to get to Canada to do it then.

It does have a lower points requirement, but only for those who meet one of the fairly narrow criteria for selection. Do you have family there? What is your NOC code?
No no family there and the NOC code for Class 1 driving is 73300 Teer 3. Failing Alberta I was also looking into the Atlantic Immigration Program, just trying to keep my options open.
krazylegz is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 2:43 pm
  #8  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,025
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by krazylegz
No no family there and the NOC code for Class 1 driving is 73300 Teer 3. Failing Alberta I was also looking into the Atlantic Immigration Program, just trying to keep my options open.
OK, I'd forget Alberta then I'm afraid. That's not an eligible occupation for the high demand streams (so you'd need a job offer to qualify), and in fact is one that they say may be excluded due to too many applications - scroll down to 'Applications by Occupation' on this page - https://www.alberta.ca/aaip-processi...-and-inventory

AIP would be a much better option I think, less of a long shot.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 2:49 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 24
krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, I'd forget Alberta then I'm afraid. That's not an eligible occupation for the high demand streams (so you'd need a job offer to qualify), and in fact is one that they say may be excluded due to too many applications - scroll down to 'Applications by Occupation' on this page - https://www.alberta.ca/aaip-processi...-and-inventory

AIP would be a much better option I think, less of a long shot.
Brilliant thank you for your reply, will look more closely into the AIP leaving Alberta on the back burner
krazylegz is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 2:56 pm
  #10  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,025
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by krazylegz
Brilliant thank you for your reply, will look more closely into the AIP leaving Alberta on the back burner
No worries, good luck. You could always try both just in case things change with Alberta.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 3:02 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 24
krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No worries, good luck. You could always try both just in case things change with Alberta.
could you try both at the same time or would it be try one then if it fails try the other?
krazylegz is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 3:08 pm
  #12  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,025
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by krazylegz
could you try both at the same time or would it be try one then if it fails try the other?
I'd do both personally, if you can afford the fees, there's no rules about having two applications in at the same time. But it may end up really annoying a potential employer if you go down one route and then pull out!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 3:10 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 24
krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd do both personally, if you can afford the fees, there's no rules about having two applications in at the same time. But it may end up really annoying a potential employer if you go down one route and then pull out!
Brilliant thanks for your help, will look into it
krazylegz is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 3:13 pm
  #14  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,025
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by krazylegz
Brilliant thanks for your help, will look into it
If you're open to both provinces you could always job hunt in both and see where you can find a sponsoring employer first. Are you open to any province, or just NS/NB/PEI/NL/AB??

Sounds like you've first got to convince your wife to move? So good luck with that too!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2023, 3:16 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 24
krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth doing class one?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you're open to both provinces you could always job hunt in both and see where you can find a sponsoring employer first. Are you open to any province, or just NS/NB/PEI/NL/AB??

Sounds like you've first got to convince your wife to move? So good luck with that too!
Yes I'm open to any province to be honest, yes its the wife that needs the shove in order to leave the UK and her mum behind.
krazylegz is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.