Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

who is hiring LMO's at the moment in canada.

who is hiring LMO's at the moment in canada.

Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:11 am
Just Joined

paul33404 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default who is hiring LMO's at the moment in canada.

Hello,
I am seriously thinking about going out to Canada to drive long haul trucks, trouble is i do not know where to start looking or who the right people are to call.
Does anyone know who is hiring LMO's at the moment as this would be a great start to my potential search for employers.
Thank you
Paul
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:49 pm
jao
Just Joined

jao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: who is hiring LMO's at the moment in canada.

thinking the same as you mate dont know how to start
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Canadian Job bank... then RING the ones who are advertising for drivers.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

A bit of info on LMOs.
LMO stands for Labour Market Opinion.
It is a document that is issued to companies that allows them to bring in labour from overseas.
It's issued by the Human Resources and Development Office after a company has proved that it needs to bring in foreign workers.
A company must show that it has a truck without a driver, it has work for that truck and that it has advertised the vacancy all over Canada.
Any company can apply for an LMO.
Some apply when they find a driver; some apply and then go looking for drivers.
Some companies send a driver an LMO before he arrives in Canada and he swaps this for a Work Permit when he first arrives.
Some companies give out LMOs when drivers pass the truck driving test; the driver then goes to the border for his Work Permit.

Latest word on the grapevine is that Kindersley Transport have some LMOs for drivers based in Manitoba and working out of their Winnipeg yard. They are part of the Siemens Group and might also have LMOs for Saskatchewan and Alberta as they have depots in all those provinces.
Hope this helps.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

bj928 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone, new guy here, i've been doing 2 years over the road driving in the usa for a harvesting company, 13k miles a month on average, so i have plenty of experience now, and a ND cdl, but having to hope i get a new visa each year and maybe go home is getting a joke, so thinking of going to canada to find work year round, not sure if the OTR i was doing was 100% legal but i only hauled farm related products so believe is was a grey area and DOT didn't seem to mind, but whatever its got me 2 years under my belt, anyone in winnipeg area hiring would be good as i have the ND cdl and its close to where i'm base when in america.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bj928
hi everyone, new guy here, i've been doing 2 years over the road driving in the usa for a harvesting company, 13k miles a month on average, so i have plenty of experience now, and a ND cdl, but having to hope i get a new visa each year and maybe go home is getting a joke, so thinking of going to canada to find work year round, not sure if the OTR i was doing was 100% legal but i only hauled farm related products so believe is was a grey area and DOT didn't seem to mind, but whatever its got me 2 years under my belt, anyone in winnipeg area hiring would be good as i have the ND cdl and its close to where i'm base when in america.
Hello mate,

did you stay with Altendorfs the whole time there?
Some "know alls" on here used to blabber about not doing "proper" trucking at the harvest game, 13k/month seems "proper" to me!!!!

Somebody on here will advise about a LMO/TWP coming via the States if its possible!!!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi big truck, yes been with altendorf all the time, i am on as one of the over the rooad drivers, thats why i got the miles, i never went on the actual harvest, its great, waiting for my 2012 visa now, but seeing what other options there is now that i have 2 years and some goood miles under my belt, i enjoy what i'm doing, but the visa wait at the end of each year is not so good, thats why i'm lookiing to see what canada has to offer.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bj928
Hi big truck, yes been with altendorf all the time, i am on as one of the over the rooad drivers, thats why i got the miles, i never went on the actual harvest, its great, waiting for my 2012 visa now, but seeing what other options there is now that i have 2 years and some goood miles under my belt, i enjoy what i'm doing, but the visa wait at the end of each year is not so good, thats why i'm lookiing to see what canada has to offer.
Thats good you were able to work the visa thing the whole time, what type was it a H2A or the longer term H2B?
Did the dates on it cover you for "temp" work the whole year or was it "wing and a prayer" stuff?

Aye,
you can't really settle living around hoping for the visa to be renewed every year, hard to put down roots.

What type of trucks they running OTR now as when I was there it was mostly high roof FL FLD120's?!!!!

Did you live in Minto(centre of the universe) the whole time too?

Would love to do it again when I turn 60.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

its is h2a, had come home for like 4 months at the start of 2011, visas took ages, they supposed to kick in this year on the 22nd jan, fingers crossed, was running 9200i and 9400i internationals, but got a high roof freightliner now, nice truck compared to the international, plenty of power,

not looking to settle down, just want all year work, and buy classic cars/vans/vehicles, see if i can earn year round and not have to cross fingers as to hoping they get visas

i only went to ardooch/minto about twice a year, rest of the time i lived on the road
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Hello mate,

did you stay with Altendorfs the whole time there?
Some "know alls" on here used to blabber about not doing "proper" trucking at the harvest game, 13k/month seems "proper" to me!!!!

Somebody on here will advise about a LMO/TWP coming via the States if its possible!!!
Oh gawd,the Oracle from Oireland,who rattled your cage
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Not from "Oireland" from "Norn Iron" thats NORTHERN Ireland, different Government/currency etc etc!!!

Bj928 and I exchanged Pm's/posts on another forum those two years ago about harvest trucking in the States for UK guys and glad to hear he got a right while out of it and looking at Canada for the permanent work.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:20 pm
Telbow

Cool Re: who is hiring LMO's at the moment in canada.

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Flat the mat I need to chat to you for advice on moving to regina,could you get back to me please or private message me at <snip>:

Last edited by Sue; Jan 12th 2012 at 6:13 pm. Reason: Email address removed at request of OP

Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Get the name right and consider it done
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:39 am
Telbow

oops sorry flat to the mat,,hey im a crane driver from hartlepool,got a guy ringing me tonight about a job in regina,could you tell me where is the best places to buy a house if I were to emigrate with my family,where abouts do you live and in general what is regina like to live in.cheers telbow.

Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:18 pm
Telbow

Sorry guys ive had to wright this message only i cant pick up my messages unless ive had 3 posts or more....so bare with me,lol,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.