Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

whats the best way to contact prospective employers

whats the best way to contact prospective employers

Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: whats the best way to contact prospective employers

Originally Posted by spockil
Im just wondering if anyone could tell me a realistic take home pay after tax.
also how much I should take to tide me over till i can start earning.
have you any idea as to what company / Province your going to as wages vary depending on location and then even by company.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Im just wondering if anyone could tell me a realistic take home pay after tax.
also how much I should take to tide me over till i can start earning.

Duh!!!! how long is a piece of string
To many variable factors involved to answer this question, or just about any of your questions for that matter. Give us some info first.
1, How many are you ??
2,What Province
3,What type of work
4,Are you a worker or a winging bugger that wants to be home every nite
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Duh!!!! how long is a piece of string
To many variable factors involved to answer this question, or just about any of your questions for that matter. Give us some info first.
1, How many are you ??
2,What Province
3,What type of work
4,Are you a worker or a winging bugger that wants to be home every nite
its just little me and my dear self.
im thinking sk/ ab
thinking of doing flats
im a worker who tries to do what im told.
when im home i not earning
and answer to the string question is twice the length from one end to the middle.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

its just little me and my dear self.
im thinking sk/ ab
thinking of doing flats
im a worker who tries to do what im told.
when im home i not earning
and answer to the string question is twice the length from one end to the middle.
Then check out the trucking websites for those two provinces..
After tax you could expect $3400 ish, some taxes will be reimbursed at the end off the year..
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

After tax you could expect $3400 ish, some taxes will be reimbursed at the end off the year..
Which could be a lot more I hear if you take your re-sett's away from Home ????

Is that correct????
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

sounds like abit of a bonus if i get reimbursed.
so how much do you think id need to tide me over till the money starts rolling in as this is my biggest worry.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

sounds like abit of a bonus if i get reimbursed.
so how much do you think id need to tide me over till the money starts rolling in as this is my biggest worry.
I have spoken to a family a few months ago 2 Adults 1 Child who went over with £10.000 approx which they said was more than enough and they are doing fine.

They made the move and kitted a 3 bed house out comfotably with 2nd hand furniture for now until they get established and gain PR. Left the biggest portion of money in UK until the time is right to shift it.

They are renting in New Brunswick.

I'm sure as a single guy that would be enough especially if your not planning on a perm base and living in the truck / motel after training.

Hope That Helps.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
I have spoken to a family a few months ago 2 Adults 1 Child who went over with £10.000 approx which they said was more than enough and they are doing fine.

They made the move and kitted a 3 bed house out comfotably with 2nd hand furniture for now until they get established and gain PR. Left the biggest portion of money in UK until the time is right to shift it.

I'm sure as a single guy that would be enough especially if your not planning on a perm base and living in the truck / motel after training.

Hope That Helps.
thanks that is a weight shifted of my big broad shoulders
or i could find another expat heading out and we could share the rent on a place.
many thanks
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

or i could find another expat heading out and we could share the rent on a place.
many thanks
yep can do, I'm sure thats what Loafy & Chris did when they first started for Seafood. They found them a flat in town and they shared until they were ready to bring their families out.

As part of the recruitment of overseas drivers your contract should say the company will find you suitable accommodation to be ready for when you arrive.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

many thanks
So $10,000 is enough ????
Will you buy a vehical ???
Will you want to rent a pad or live in hotels ???
You need to pay for driving instruction and test/tests ?
It can easily take 7 weeks before the first wage packet
You,ll be surprised how quick $10000 goes
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

So $10,000 is enough ????
Will you buy a vehical ???
Will you want to rent a pad or live in hotels ???
You need to pay for driving instruction and test/tests ?
It can easily take 7 weeks before the first wage packet
You,ll be surprised how quick $10000 goes
a cheap run around will do me. im quite good at fixing things if in doubt give it a clout.
il see if anyone else wants to share a rent when i find out who else is starting with me as im not really that worried if i rent or stay in hotel for abit or even a caravan.
yes i need to pay for tests and lessons but i know costs before i start.
as far as i gather the minimum time to pass and be on road is around 2-3 weeks.
i know $10,000 wont last long but its a figure to be aiming for.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hope That Helps.
Note UK Sterling!!!

@ todays FX = $CAD18.600....ish
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Note UK Sterling!!!

@ todays FX = $CAD18.600....ish
thats still ok its a figure i can kinda aim on.
so hows everyone else getting on with thier process
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I have done nothing much. I have had quite a few answers back from companies I wrote or emailed but I am working until Sep next year so I am waiting until next Mar when I move back to the UK then I will start getting things done
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
I have done nothing much. I have had quite a few answers back from companies I wrote or emailed but I am working until Sep next year so I am waiting until next Mar when I move back to the UK then I will start getting things done
well you dont want them to get all excited then say ur delaying the move yea im looking at saskatchewan now so im trying to set up a few interviews for around december. il keep you posted on what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.